Wormholes to other universes and quantum inequalities

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by areasys, Apr 6, 2008.

1. areasys Registered Senior Member

According to some models of inflationary cosmology, the multitude of universes in the multiverse are connected by tiny wormholes that pop in and out of existence in the quantum foam. These wormholes can supposedly be formed in particle collisions. Could negative energy be used to hold these wormholes open? Or do quantum inequalities forbid this?

Also, if one were to try to enter one of these wormholes, would he survive or would the tidal forces rip him apart? In other words, are these wormholes basically just black holes that tear you up into individual elementary particles and then spit those particles into another universe?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Could you give a reference for this areasys? I don't think this is true.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. areasys Registered Senior Member

Go to New Scientist's website and search for "small wormholes change our picture of the big bang". Sorry, I can't post links yet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. areasys Registered Senior Member

8. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

I don't mean to butt in, Ben, but I can give you several links if you wish them. That said, in JMHO, I would be very skeptical of the hypothesis in spite of it appearing in mainstream publications. Seems this negative energy can do many things, from keeping 'wormholes' open to collapsing black holes. Maybe that negative energy will turn micro black holes into micro worm holes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This is a Scientific American article referenced through Duke Univ.
    http://www.phy.duke.edu/~hsg/55/related-files/sciam-wormholes-jan-2000.pdf