wormholes

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Enigma'07, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

What exactly is a wormhole and what would cause one to form. I thought it had some thing to do with connecting black holes, but that doesn't make sense considering blackholes would seperate soth thing out beyond reconition.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

The problem I have with worm holes is that when we talk of them we are suggesting a sort of journey over great distances that take little amount of time.
    And I would suggest to creat a wormhole that takes time to go a light year for example would be a lot harder to create than a wormhole that is simply 2 dimensional or immediate in the time taken to travel.

compare a 2 dimensional door to a twenty second door way. or 4 dimensional wormhole with a 2 dimensional one.
    The 4 dimensional door way would be a bugger to maintain stability where as a 2 dimensional hole would be intrinsically stable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

We have been using a fairly plausible and realistic method of making wormholes at the Orion's Arm Worldbuilding group for four years or so now; these are based on the theories of Matt Visser and Sergei Krasnikov; a pair of wormholes are inflated using negative energy, and one end is transported to wherever it is required by a slower-than light spacecraft.

some links
    http://www.orionsarm.com/tech/wormhole_design_and_physics.html
    http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~visser/pictures-gif.html
    http://www.physics.hku.hk/~tboyce/sf/topics/wormhole/wormhole.html

8. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

An OA artificially inflated wormhole; you can see the light blue struts of negative energy...

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I do recall reading a sci fi book that proposed just this.....transporting one end to a location. Can't remember the title or author...possibly Greg Bear..but I am not sure.

10. Gbz Unaq Registered Member

This is what I posted on the other wormhole thread:I don't know to much about wormholes. What I Think wormholes are is a gate through a world between all alternate universes from that world it would be possible to reopen an other portal to any where in any of those universes at any time. By this idea you could travel the same diatance to any place. time and possibility sense there is an alternate universe for every possibility.

11. Gbz Unaq Registered Member

and this:I think you can make them. You see when you put to plates together they attract and stick together because at that point and time there is escensually zero-space between them do to an anomaly that may be a rift in the space-time continum which by enhancing and enlarging you could (should this be a rift) make the rift bigger into a portal size that a human can walk through and jump on in. Anyhow thats how I get it. I'm not really that experianced in the field so if anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. Then again its all Theoretical Physics so I'm not sure you can be wrong.

12. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

Sorry, I think I posted it twice on accident.

13. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

>>>>You see when you put to plates together they attract and stick together.....

casimir effect? maybe.

14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I woudl speculate on this by suggesting that one method would be to identify the area of space you wished to travel to.
    This portion of space being unique only to that portion of space...a signature if you like.

The space on the earth being different to the space on the moon ( at any specified location.)

By setting up a space that conforms you have thus travelled to that space.

(teleportation ) the same could be applied to creating gateways though not exactly a worm hole which I woudl consider an inferior gateway any way.

If you can imagine space as volume location unique......every location being unique die to spacial differences then oneonly needs to create an identical location and by very nature you have moved yourself to that unique location.

As no bit of space can be identicle. ( Like merging soap bubbles )

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

scenario

You climb into a special bus, the bus's computer identifies the space configuration yo wish to travell to. The machinery on board the bus changes the bus's innate space ( the whole bus ) to that of the destination and it thus becomes the space it wishes to be.....hello universe here we come

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A gateway would be done using the same idea configured differently I would guess

16. Gbz Unaq Registered Member

1.)Yes i believe it has something to do with the casimir effect but some site I read said during then casmir effect an anomaly In space-time accurs which could be th key to making a wormhole.
    2.)Um, excuse me but that is very similar to stargate sg-1m with the coordinate system and It sounds like magic school bus with the "bus" scienario. When I want to use info from a show I change the wording i.e, car instead of bus. If you have no idea what i'm talking about then forget about the whole of #2
    3.) The whole theory would other wise get an A++ at the science fair!

17. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member