'Worst building in the history of mankind'

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by ScaryMonster, Sep 7, 2009.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

what on earth are these things? tubular bells? bamboo sections? what?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

That is strange . It must be stairs. They look like stairs . To cut down on waste of interior floor space I bet they jetted out the stairs in a dormer type fashion . I don't know ? Why would there be so many if they are stairs . Strange

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Ahhh good ol' Kowloon Mansions. Cheap & ugly but the most culturally diverse couple blocks on earth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Seems appropriate when London is so full of assholes....

8. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Prison bars, to make the Scots feel at home....

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol That must be some sort of pun related to Scottish history..

10. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This rather boring building is made interesting with the addition of an annex.
    I apologize to anyone sensitive about 911.

And I apologize to any tornado victims

11. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Heh, they never tump over that neatly!
    I like how tornadoes always wrap sheetmetal around things in funky ways.

Edited to add-apparently it was a tornado that took down our powerpoles out on the main road last night, just a *little* one. That explains that 60-70 MPH wind we had blow through...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  12. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

And Scottish behaviour.
    So that's London and Scotland off my holiday list....

13. Robert Schunk Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to be able to post links, but, to see the building, just look up images for "The Dorilton", an apartment building located at 171 West 71st Street in Manhattan.

According to Alpern, Andrew. "New York's Fabulous Luxury Apartments With Original Floor Plans from the Dakota, River House, Olympic Tower and Other Great Buildings (New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1975), p.28:

"When The Dorilton was completed, The Architectural Record, a journal not generally given to strong language, called it "an architectural aberration" and said that "the sight of it makes strong men swear and weak women shrink affrighted".

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Government Communications HQ, Gloucestershire (UK)

It isn't necessarily the ugliest, however for a giant "Police Donut" it lacks jam in the middle or at the very least sprinkles.

15. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Oh that is funny . You seem to be some what of a historian ? No Yes . I know you are but what am I . Anyway . Maybe you know something bout de battle of Trenton in the Revolutionary war . I know that would really perk my perch. Birdies at the window all euphoric like . Something tells Me you know stuff that is kept secret from mere mortal men and evolved "Women" Please

16. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

that looks like human collective conscious future space going vessel . Yeah a mock up

The center is for the reactor or what ever the power source is

17. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

It looks a lot like the UFO from the Electric Light Orchestra Albums.

It's powered by Disco!

18. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:There seems to be a few Elephant theme buildings around , I found this one.
    Some bloke who visited Oregun, Lagos took the picture.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  19. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

@ Scary...it's goofy looking, but I would buy that house...Although I would have to make it much more hideous. You see, you don't do hideous lightly.

You either do something nice or you want to make drivers and pedestrians stop in the middle of the street to look at your house and mouth the words "What the f**k ?"

For instance, this house is now owned by a local art foundation, and I will tour it if I get the chance:

Yes, an entire house covered in beercans. He did the garage apartment too. This is an old picture, there's another beercan wall in front of it, and a townhouse right beside it now:

I think they put the can-curtains back up at some point, they had to find vintage cans to restore it with.

But underneath it's an ordinary 50's bungalow, so I'm not sure it really belongs in the thread.
    I just figured y'all might be amused, is all.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  20. Robert Schunk Registered Senior Member

That's not really relevant to this thread, so I'll open a new thread under history to answer your question about Trenton. For now, I'll just say that there's an awful lot of knowledge in public libraries that is not generally known to the public, particularly in the way of controversial material that might embarrass major corporation. Very often, the publisher of such books comes under pressure not to publish after the contract's been signed, so the publisher will limit itself to a minimal-effort publication in which only a few books are printed, press interviews somehow never happen, book-signings aren't publicized and authors show up with boxes of books in empty bookstores (or sometimes it's the publishers' responsibility to bring the books and they don't show up), etc. This practice is known as "privishing". But orders from libraries must be filled, which results in the situation where the libraries contain knowledge not generally known to the public. There's nothing secret about these books or their content, it's just that you'll have to search for them, and libraries are the most likely place to find them. If you want to know more about this, read Borfesson, Kristina (ed.): "Into the Buzzsaw: Leading Journalists Expose the Myth of a Free Press" (Amherst, NY: Prometeus Press, 2002).

However, I haven't yet referred to any such works in my posts yet during my presence here on this forum; I've only used books generally available to the public (save for the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles references, which I pulled off the internet), and all the books I've used so far havebeen fom my personal collection.

21. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Kansas City Public Library, Missouri, United-States

As an incentive to visit library the design in the downtown of Kansas city was made in shape of books that according to people of Kansas city represent Kansas.
    I was told that it’s a parking garage not the actual library. And still it looks awesome, isn’t? What can I say? A suitable building for storing books.
    This, "Let's make sperm bank in the shape of an....," is actually less irritating than the common habit of building pastiche homes that hark back to past era's.
    Such attempts are mostly unsuccessful.
    anyone who has actually stayed in real a Tuscan villa that's actually in Tuscany, would find the parroting of that style in McMansion's execrable.

Today's McMansions, Tomorrow's Tenements.

"I dislike these houses because they are an embodiment of how individual buyers, society as a whole, and the environment on which we depend, are poorly served. I don’t dislike them because I don’t want ordinary people to have nice things. It’s because I would like them to have something so much better!" From Hating McMansions: not class warfare Author: Helen.
    http://www.castironbalcony.com/2011/07/04/hating-mcmansions-not-class-warfare/

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  22. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

23. jim09 Registered Member