Would it be worth giving up your life ?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Pasta, Dec 4, 2009.

?

If I was given this option to see ANYTHING in the cosmos , but then had to die :

1. I would do it.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. I would not do it.

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. I'm not sure.

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Pasta Registered Senior Member

Imagine this hypothetical situation.

A very advanced alien being visits you and has a little bubble spacecraft with him. He says I'll let you use this spacecraft that can travel to ANY part of the cosmos instantly (it travels at inifinite speed), AND it's a time machine, so you can travel to any point in the cosmos' timeline (with the exception that when going back in time, you have to view things from a distance to prevent yourself from altering history).
    BUT, there's a catch to this, you MUST stay in the spacecraft for at least 25 hours after entering it, and because of invisible deadly fumes (for humans) it emits, you must be injected with a bio-chemical that will protect you for only 24 hours, but the bio-chemical will also kill you after 24 hours.

So in summary, you can travel to anywhere and anytime in the universe instantly, and even jump from place to place around the cosmos, but in doing so you will die in 24 hours no matter what after using the spacecraft.

The alien gives you 5 minutes to make a decision.......

Would you be willing to give up your life to see ANYTHING at ANYTIME in the cosmos' history ?
    Being able to view stars from the inside, black holes close up, the big-bang, Earth's evolution, other civilizations on other planets, etc...
    Would it be worth it to die for ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sure! I would ask the alien to go to the future to just before I'm going to die and pick me up.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I would do it. We all gotta die sometime anyway.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pasta Registered Senior Member

You forgot the catch that you MUST stay in the spacecraft for 25 hours.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What difference does that make? The alien would pick me up just before I was going to die anyway. For instance, I get cancer, and before I'm incapacitated, it picks me up and I get the ride of my life. What a way to die!

9. mike47 Banned Banned

No way . I have plenty of things to accomplish here on earth and with real people .

10. Pasta Registered Senior Member

I think I would do it.
    The possibility of seeing other civilizations, Earth's far past, discovering how extensive the cosmos is through space and time, discovering if there is a God, etc.... is just too tempting, even if it means dying in 24 hours.

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

no. why limit yourself like that?

i don't see any benefit to witnessing what's going on somewhere else, when i can spend the rest of my life witnessing what's going on around me every day. it's no more or less important. you never know what's going to happen tomorrow. i think people's lives have a purpose and meaning, and that we all have an important path, and part to play. i'm not looking to escape that to satisfy some self-indulgent curiosity.

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Maybe in denying this chance you would have actually gone about denying yourself of your true purpose in life. Maybe your purpose is to discover something amazing and beyond your comprehension so you can better know what the universe holds.

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

if you can't share it, or impact others in some way with it, then it's worthless. that knowledge wouldn't contribute anything to your life or anyone else's.

14. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Well it certainly would contribute to your life...up until the point where you died.

PLus whos to say you cant stay for 4 hours then go back and tell/show the world from your spaceship/?

15. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'm thinking that experience is worthless unless the results of it manifest in some way. i'm having a hard time finding a way for it to manifest if i'm dead immediately after the experience without having the chance for it to affect my live and therefore the lives of others.

ha ha. trust me on this...no one would believe me anyway.

16. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

They would when you showed up in a spaceship.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

ask (Q).

it was a hoax. either that or he would commit himself to an institution.

anyhoo, i don't really think that we could find anything in space, in the future, or certainly in the past, that would change anything. people are so ingrained in their immediate needs and their agendas. i think it would take a mass landing and the aliens busting down their front door to get people's attention.

18. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I think if you could show people that life exists beyond earth it would change the way people view the world/universe we live in.

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

there's all kinds of documented evidence and testimony of that right now, and it hasn't changed a thing.

20. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

That's not really the same as showing up over the White house and saying "hey look at this!"

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

and getting blown to smithereens by a govt missile, and then a cover up of the incident.

22. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Pfft, I bet an alien spacecraft capable of traveling instantaneously to any point in the universe would hardly be affected by a missile.

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

good point. i actually think the day is coming. it seems that at this point, people are being prepared in a more covert way, on an individual and personal level.

now watch everybody call me crazy.