Would most people take COVID19 more seriously if they thought it was a bioweapon?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Mar 21, 2020.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

As opposed to a naturally evolving disease? The US seems to be split with people who are following the guidelines to prevent the spreading of this illness, to others who are completely apathetic and refuse to change their habits for the time being.

I’d say yes, if people thought this was a manufactured disease, they might react more seriously.

What do you think?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

a certain percentage of the population does believe its a bioweapon.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

and, a certain percentage of the population is mentally ill.
    Perhaps, this is the dame percentage?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Some dames may believe it, some don't. How do you define "mental illness"? If it's based on a disconnect with scientifically or socially demonstrable reality, then most Americans are severely ill.

wegs likes this.
  8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, I've read that, but believe it's like hovering around 28% who think it could be a possibility. But, suppose the vast majority thought this, would everyone be taking social distancing guidelines, and such more seriously? Example, one of my neighbors was trying to get a bunch of other neighbors together for a soccer game, and I said...this goes against social distancing guidelines, and the park is closed. He looked at me like I was insane. But, it stopped him from doing it. He even apologized, but I said ...it's for the good of the whole. No one is trying to shame you, we have to ride this out together.

Really, though? Why would he think it's fine to get a bunch of people together to play a game of soccer? In speaking with friends and coworkers, they believe that the media is blowing this out of proportion, and that this is ''just another sickness'' that the majority of people recover from. Okay, true, but if you then come in contact with an elderly person...he/she is vulnerable, and could get sick.

This is what prompted my question.

9. geordief Valued Senior Member

Maybe people don't take it seriously because they are frightened to entertain the idea that it could be so serious (and inconvenient)

Kind of a pre denial.

I met someone today who told me it might have been "human made"

I said I didn't believe it was ,although I have heard the rumour ("escaped from a lab " has ,I guess entered the vernacular in a general sense)

wegs likes this.
  10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

No, because the same people who think it's a weapon would not suspect their fellow citizens - at least the ones they trust enough to get close to - of carrying it.
    (I hear they're buying even more guns. What do they expect to shoot? Not a virus, surely! I'd guess they're expecting like a corona-carrier apocalypse. Or maybe Glorious Leader told them: "They're coming for your guns. Next they'll come for your cattle. Then they'll come for your toilet paper.")
    TSN is showing a year-old soccer game instead of the one sheduled for this afternoon.
    Sort-of-true on all counts. That's why you have to pick out the important bits and apply reason.
    Yes, the media are being tiresome in their relentless coverage, repeating the same stories, warnings, speeches and statistics over and over. One reason for that is, they've never dealt with anything this serious before and they need to reach all of the public, if they possibly can. As to whether they're exaggerating the severity of the illness, I think your co-workers have not been listening closely enough.
    - Yes, most of the victims are expected to recover without medical attention
    But, it's an unusually aggressive virus, and viruses mutate very fast - so we can't assume anyone is safe, not even people who have recovered, nor that it will not have worse effects.
    The biggest problem is that it cannot be stopped or contained. All we're trying to do is slow the contagion, so that severe cases will be spread out over a longer period, giving the health-care system more time to deal with it.

And some of the young are deliberately taunting their elders; frankly welcoming our imminent demise. (I guess they want our stuff.) That's the other big misconception. The young think they're immune, but they're not.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I think there is too much doom and gloom with regard to this pandemic. While certainly it should be everyone's number one priority at this time to follow general medical advice and precautions, that's about all we can do. I see no benefit in wringing ones hands together declaring we are all doomed!
    A temporary change in lifestyles for the benefit of all, extra cleanliness and hygiene for the benefit of all, and life goes on.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because there are elements in our government saying that it's minor, the problem is over, go out to bars, it's contained etc etc. So people are getting mixed messages.

wegs likes this.
  13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, true. On FB, I have a few friends from different states talking about how their states are enforcing stores being closed and a curfew tonight. But in driving around, they see that stores ARE open and many business owners not obeying their state mandates. Apathy is just as dangerous as rebellion.

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Well, you’re retired yes? For many, they’re losing their jobs right now so they may feel “gloomier” for a reason.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

exchemist likes this.
  15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yes true.....My Son could in time be one of them. The point I'm emphasising though is that we all should come through it on the other side. Governments, banks etc, are attempting to help...Some will sink and not recover, others will recover.
    BTW, yesterday I was delivering for "meals on wheels" https://www.mealsonwheelssa.org.au/...Nyj66RWGS0sZB82E_qcHMAv7aW6BhheUaAq4TEALw_wcB, so while yes, retired, I am also trying to spread some less gloom around.

Jeeves likes this.
  16. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Believe what you want, but unless you're talking aliens everyone on earth is getting it, had it etc. whatever it is it's real, so who are these people not taking it seriously?

17. CptBork Valued Senior Member

If this virus were manmade, it would be spreading at a much faster rate, killing far more people and possibly even targeting specific racial genetics.

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

US President: "We have it totally under control."
    US Governor: "Eating with my kids and all my fellow Oklahomans at the @CollectiveOKC. It's packed tonight!"
    US Senator: "Let's not hurt the working people in this country...go to your local pub."

19. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yeah. This ain't heaven folks.

20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think those who panic would panic even more. Those who don't care, wouldn't care.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This is awful. Is it real? How recent?

22. exchemist Valued Senior Member

It seems to be part of a certain far-right mindset that anything telling you you can't do exactly as you please, or that involves cooperative behaviour, must be a liberal commie pinko plot, cf. climate change, gun control, wearing seat belts.....or now Covid-19 countermeasures.

Only a few days ago we had Boris Johnson's 80 yr old father telling the press, with dimwitted pride, that of course he would carry on going to the pub, in defiance of the advice (a) about over 70s and ( b ) about pubs. 48hrs later, the pubs are all shut, by order of his son......

I suppose it takes longer for the penny to drop if you've spent the last decade rubbishing experts and concocting your own self-contained network for dissemination of alternative news. But at least this disease won't respect money or power. To that extent it may serve to remind these people that experts really do exist and some facts cannot be spun.

Jeeves likes this.
  23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Maybe not, but isolation is a lot easier in their multi-room mansions with indoor pool, movie theater and gym, with minions to run errands, deliver supplies and attend to their needs than for people who live week to week in a block of council flats.
    Plus, if a Johnson catches it, what do you bet he doesn't have to wait in the hospital corridor for somebody to die and free up a respirator?