Would most people take COVID19 more seriously if they thought it was a bioweapon?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Yes, that's my standard response. Your's is to be above the fray. My bad.

billvon likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

??

How can I possibly be both angry and above the fray? If I'm angry (according to you), doesn't that suggest that I am situated within the fray?

You constantly accuse others--just within the past three days: me, Jeeves, iceaura, billvon, and QuantumQuack-- of being angry, of complaining, of ranting, whereas you, presumably, are not any of those things--that would make you above the fray.

(I said jealous in the preceding post, but I was confusing you for another poster--I meant "angry, complaining, and ranting.")

Edit: Or were you attempting "sarcasm" again?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I was attempting sarcasm again. You're quick.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Nope. It took me 27 minutes--see time between post and edit. I'm watching season 13 of Survivor on the right half of my screen, so I'm not paying full attention. (I tried watching a more recent season, but they're boring.)

Anyways, let me try it again:
    This is my interpretation:
    Is that an adequate interpretation? If "yes," then here's the problem:

"characteriz(ing) other posters as being angry,(as complaining), or as ranting" is, essentially, the same as being "above the fray."

So we end up with this:
    See the problem?

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

In other news, I’ve never watched one episode of Survivor. Is it worth bingeing?

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

No but unless you like Big Brother and other such ilk.

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I'd rate it a few notches above Big Brother--better scenery, at least.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Not really. I’ve given up on reality shows as they seem a bit too scripted, which sort of ruins the “reality” of it.

And I’m not a fan of sappy backstories of contestants, designed to pull at your heartstrings. “My house burned down and then my cat died and then my grandmother’s best friend’s cousin came down with pneumonia...so I’m so glad to be on this show, because if I win...I’ll know that life has a happy ending.” The backstories usually sound like that.

Well, this is a better conversation that coronavirus. And I’ve heard earlier that China is having a resurgence of it. Ugh...this is eerily reminding me of the film, Contagion. -_-

Seattle likes this.
  12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

It's another contest where contestants are expected to work in 'teams' while plotting how to stab one another in the back. Unpleasant people setting a lousy example to the young.
    * disclaimer: I could be wrong. I watched half of Season 1 before swearing off it forever. Maybe it's changed...

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

I don't think I every watched a reality TV show unless a friend of mine was in it. (Or I was in it.)

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Outbreak, 12 Monkeys, The Hot Zone.. all the way back to The Andromeda Strain, SF has been trying to warn us for decades.
    Smart people have been trying to warn us about a lot of things we choose not to take seriously until they're on top of us, and then we say:
    "Nobody could have foreseen this!"

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sure, but enough of them are that there's reason to be worried about the problem.

For every 100 people in the United States there are about 120.5 civilian-owned guns. That's 393 million guns in civilian hands in the US.

For comparison, the figure in Australia is 14.5 and in England and Wales it is 4.6 per hundred people.

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it's just the modern version of a "game show" and we know how interesting they were.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Jaime, doesn't like you and will vote you off the island. Partner with me and maybe we can talk Sue into joining us even though Jaime thinks Sue is on her side...bla,bla, bla.

17. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

For a brief moment in time, there was the ethically questionable, but otherwise quite extraordinary, Kid Nation:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Nation

A rather unusual twist on the Kids Say the Darndest Things model, it was too good to last. Also, there were some mishaps and some child labor issues.

But, yeah, reality tv is mostly a sewer. The ultra-cheap production costs are enticing to all those cable networks that need to fill in 24 hours of programming, turning once halfway decent networks like A&E and Bravo into the same old crap as the rest.

18. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

A couple of years ago, a guy accosted me in a market because he assumed (rightly, but that's beside the point) that I was some sort of communist and he had questions(?!) Anyways, he was some sort of libertarian (in the contemporary, rightwing sense) prepper-type. He detailed some of the materials he had stockpiled over the years--two thousand gallons of diesel fuel and so forth--and then he got to firearms. He claimed to have over 300 rifles and handguns! He could have been lying, or he could have been completely nuts, but I didn't really get that sense about him. I wanted to ask him what he intended to do with all that firepower, but better judgement prevailed.

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Some of those stockpiling types imagine themselves going to lead a private army or survival group. John Galt on steroids.

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Bali we just shop for very little and know plenty toilet paper will be there tomorrow

21. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Good news for them! The Leader of the Whole Frickin Free World considers guns essential to the functioning of America.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, 46%

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Yea, Americans own 46% of all the civilian guns in the world.
    The population of the USA is 4.5% of the world.
    Let's see what American maths education does with that ratio.