Would most people take COVID19 more seriously if they thought it was a bioweapon?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Mar 21, 2020.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I could elaborate some, but yeah pretty correct.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Okay.

I pray the whole world will come through this crisis with the fewest possible causalities, and that worldwide, we start looking at one another (country to country) as being in this together.

What question was that?

Ah, I agree.

Okay, fair enough.

Bonus questions:

Suppose, there was proof that CV19 was in fact a manufactured virus? Do you think people would take the social distancing/quarantine guidelines more seriously?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

We wouldn't have time for all that. We'd all be Patriots ready to go to war with whoever manufactured the virus and if we didn't know we'd go to war with China anyway.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Oh yea, I forgot about war.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You're right! I've been reading that the COVID19 crisis is going to be ''Trump's Benghazi''. (in terms of destroying his political career) Do you agree?

I just don't understand why we were so ill-prepared to deal with a pandemic (national response) ...for being a first world country.

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

We don't have a first world President. I agree that Trump didn't cause the crisis but I think his subsequent reactions were much worse that Hillary and Benghazi.

I'd say the virus is more like Bush and 9/11.

I think that Seattle has handled the situation pretty well.

wegs likes this.
  9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Good point.

Your city? Or are you speaking about yourself? One never knows on here.

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Haha, I haven't resorted to speaking in the third person yet about myself. Seattle wouldn't do that.

The city. Their response hasn't been perfect but people do get tested here, the shelves have never been bare (in my area anyway) and people have complied pretty well to the shelter in place rules and many businesses shut down before they had to.

There's only so much a local area can do regarding a national/world crisis but at least the response is thoughtful and informed. That's more than you can say about much of the rest of the country and especially on the national level.

At least there's not been a run on the gun shops here.

wegs likes this.
  11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

"Would most people take Covid19 more seriously if they thought it was a bioweapon?"
    Yes... assuming 1. that the proof were made available to them 2. through a broadcast medium that they trust.
    And they would still respond inappropriately, only the guidelines would be impossible.
    Of course, that's just the unguided opinion of an outsider.

12. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Reality television? Absolutely.

To be honest, I've honestly not seen that much--and I haven't had a television in over 15 years. If it's not on the internets...

But it turns out, all 13 episodes of Kid Nation are available on YouTube:

It's every bit as wacky as I remember it--grease fires and all.

Taylor's having a tough go at it. She needs protein or something like that. Hang in there, kid! As Woody Allen said, 80 percent of success is simply turning up.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    wegs likes this.
  13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Thanks! If I have the bandwidth - got to be careful! - I'll watch that.

14. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

It would be a bit obvoius who did it. Have you seen the russian death toll?

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

Ah yes. The most important part of this whole issue - who to blame.

16. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Remember that plane that supposedly flew from the ukraine heading for Canada of all places and Iran supposedly shot it down. Canada wanted the USA to intervene but Trump didn't, he probably prevented WW3. I think the OP could be on to something much bigger.

17. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

This is killing people and it started in China's disgusting Wet markets, yes, fuck China is to blame.

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

My mind is now blown. lol I hadn't thought about Russia.

19. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

In a way, this novel virus is a bioweapon. It ticks a few boxes: it spreads easily and can be asymptomatic while it does, it tends to kill older, sicker people (the herd gets relatively healthier), you have to be smart to fight it properly (it selects against idiots), and so on.

So maybe the survivors will be smarter; but let's see what happens.

I imagine in NZ everyone is keen to see if today's new cases tally is lower than yesterday's.
    The country has been lucky it seems, it managed to squeak past a major outbreak.

In the US, it looks like they will have 500,000 or more in the next day or two. When Trump said they had done 1.2 something million tests, the tally was at more than 300,000, or about 1 in 4. NZ had a ratio about 10 times smaller, and right now it's less than 1 in 50 of the total tests.

There isn't a direct comparison possible because the testing regime (who gets a test and why) is different for both countries; but I think I can see which one has better numbers.

But you would want a better confidence interval; you need to test more people, and increase the sample size.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  20. billvon Valued Senior Member

So far we have Russia, China and the WHO to blame. Anyone else?

21. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I've been approahed by a Russian lass, no idea how she got my email, I still think it's an ex stalking me... anyway her life didn't really seem affected, so I checked the Russian stats.

22. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

What? No North Korea?
    Well, at least the Americans are blameless!

davewhite04 likes this.
  23. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I've since blown it with her I think, nice start but I lost it for a good reason and sent some of my special music videos, I wasn't feeling romantic. Never heard from her since.