Would You Get Laser Eye Surgery

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by darksidZz, Jun 18, 2007.

?

Answer

Poll closed Jul 3, 2007.
  1. Yes

62.5%
  2. Yes (only if it's free)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No (I don't wear glasses)

6.3%
  4. No way man I'm not crazy!

31.3%
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't get it done. I've worn glasses since 4th grade, and I'm used to it. There are side effects, like Sandy said, and I don't want to risk eye problems in my old age.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I think I look cool with glasses. So... yeah...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

You look like a geek, or worse, a nerd.

four eyes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I think the glasses make you look like a camel.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

In fact, that's how we used to do it for the first year or two of LASIK.

But the problem is that if you're significantly near-sighted, having one eye that's perfect and the other highly myopic is intolerable. You can't wear glasses without getting sick to your stomach.

Anyway, with the complication rate being so low, we had more problems from patients who just chickened out on the second eye despite a perfect outcome on the first than we ever would by simply treating both.

So now the standard is to treat both the same day.

Also, regarding Canada having cheaper prices, it's true. Part of the reason is that the per eye fee to use the laser does not exist in Canada.

Despite the lower prices, I wouldn't recommend that Americans go there for surgery unless they live really close to the border. The reason is if there's a problem, even a minor one, it's going to be a real pain in the ass to get back to Canada to have it looked at. Also, your local American doctors won't be real excited about jumping into a mess someone else created.

In other words, continuity of care is important and this is impossible when you travel out of the country for your surgery.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Wasn't there a big stink about using someone elses avatar? I can't remember whose avatar it was, but he was really pissed and I thought it was against the rules.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Perplexity?

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

But it's different - it has a thicker moustache.

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That's my avatar! You silly!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That's why you should use glasses that are half corrective and half aesthetic...

$2,000 cheap? And,no. The ad I saw was for one eye, $900. So... :shrug:

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

Surely not in the USA with the 'best surgeons in the world'

You are full of it, 'Sandy'.

15. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

isn't night blindness one of the things its supposed to fix. i where glasses and i can't stand them so ithink taking a laser to your eyes is ok but i think you should check the factilies around where you and chech out stuff about the people doing it around you before doing cause its not for everyone

16. yayacatfight Registered Senior Member

Tiger Woods getting it done is the clincher for me. I can't think of anyone who has more to lose if something bad happened, even something slight.

I would want a general aesthetic though, is that possible? Being awake while they slice your eye is not appealing to me.

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

how bout the naval aviators that get it done cause lets face is can anyone think of some that requires good vision more than carrier landings

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

You mean "anesthesic". "Aesthetic" sounds funny though... LOL!!

You just said you want your eyes to look pretty! Well.. ok then!!!!

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm not buying it. He could afford new eyes if anything went wrong.

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

No, it can not be done under general anesthetic. You need to be able to fixate on the target light during the procedure, which you couldn't do if you were unconcious.

However, they do dope you up a bit, generally with valium and benadryl. The surgeon I use the most also has a girl give you a massage and aroma therapy while you're waiting for your surgery.

21. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Most young people who are near sighted require new perscriptions every 2-4 years.

I do not think you can have repeated lasik surgery. Thus, you will end up using regular glasses or contact lenses some time in the future.

If Tiger had a second treatment after only 2-3 years, I think he might have made a bad decision. Perhaps he was more concerned with his next ten years on the tour. I have heard that some people cannot tolerate contacts, even soft ones. I have also heard that some people who wear contacts have problems with excess tearing and/or perspiration interfering with their vision. If he had such problems, the lasik treatment could mean many millions of dollars over his peak years.

I expect him to be wearing contacts or glasses by the time he is 35-45. If I had had lasik surgery when I was 21, I would have required 4-5 or more treatments by the time I was 35.

I am only guessing, but I suspect that 3-4 treatments is the limit. How much can you shave off your eyeball?

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Your eye must actually stay open the whole time?

MAN! I can't even put a little water in it, let alone that!

23. yayacatfight Registered Senior Member

Good points. But you have to think there will be advancements in the technology to allow multiple corrections or eliminate the need for follow ups altogether.