Would you want these bible passages to be read by impressionable youths?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by audible, Jan 6, 2005.

1. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

Would you want these bible passages to be read by impressionable youths?

KJB ezekiel 23:20: For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.
    21: Thus thou calledst to remembrance the lewdness of
    thy youth, in bruising thy teats by the Egyptians for the paps of thy youth.

RSVB ezekiel 23:20: and doted upon her paramours there, whose members were like those of asses, and whose issue was like that of horses.
    21: Thus you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when the Egyptians handled your bosom and pressed your young breasts."

NIV plain english( no sugar coated topping )Ezekiel 23:20"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. 21:So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled."

So many of the Theologically Correct crowd worry about their kiddies leering at skin on their computer screens yet remain unaware of the naughty bits within the Bible.

In their self-righteous fervor to turn the US into a Christian version of Afghanistan, pro-censorship forces risk making it illegal to put these portions of the Bible on the web. So these hapless busybodies don't realize that they're in danger of shitting in their own soup!

Here's a shocking example of incest and other Family Values:

"One day the older daughter said to the younger, 'Our father is old, and there is no man around here to lie with us, as is the custom all over the earth. Let's get our father to drink wine and then lie with him and preserve our family line through our fater.'" -- Genesis 19:31-38

(The rest of the story's even worse: read it here.
    http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?search=GEN 19&version=31;

Here's the very first penalty for early withdrawal:

Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also. -- Genesis 38:8-10 (NIV)

Justice, Old Testament Style (aka "Maul-rats get the death penalty")

From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths. And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria. -- II Kings 2:23-25

Infanticide, anyone?

"O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us -- he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks." -- Psalm 137 (NIV)

(Note: this passage doesn't condone infanticide as I'd once argued, just predicts the mood of those doing the killing. Still, the violent imagery would cause fits among censorious folks if this was in a secular context.)

Some sweet erotic passages (and please try to avoid any bestiality jokes):

"A loving doe, a graceful deer - may her breasts satisfy you always..." -- Proverbs 5:19 (NIV)

"Your breasts are like two fawns..." --Song of Solomon 4:5 (NIV)

How about some violence, scatology, or even violent scatology?

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts." -- Malachi 2:3 (KJV)

"No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the Lord." --Deut. 23:1

"But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you? "-- 2 Kings 18:27 (KJV)

While the total lewdness summed up in the Bible probably wouldn't exceed the countless "begats," it does shatter the implied claim from Those Who Censor that their own religious tract remains clear of shocking material.

The litmus test: if these passages were found in literature, or better, if pictures portraying these events were shown on a web page, would the Wildmons and Falwells of the world protest? If so, their own Bible isn't even Theologically Correct!

with thanks to about & austin

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

What is your point exactly?

That the Bible is like and/or portrays real life, in that it's not some "snow white fairy tale"?

That a lot of church people are hypocrits...pharisees...and are only interested in the Bible in order to take God's name in vain somehow...for feeding their own lust, greed, or pride?

Well...duh.

I have to say too that the Bible does not glorify sin, as does society in many ways and many media. It all depends upon the context in which it is presented.

So to answer your question, yea sure let them read the Bible. Whether certain scriptures are appropriate to teach could depend upon how old the youngsters are...but if appropriate, then teach according to the given context.

Love,

Lori

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adstar Valued Senior Member

No i would not want impressionable youths reading those verses without reading the entire bible.

Knowledge is good a little knowledge is dangerous.

All praise The Ancient Of Days

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

what difference would reading the whole bible make, then that impressionable youth, would read about murder, torture, genocide, fear, Intolerance, Absurditys, Injustice, to name just a few.
    and a tiny bit about love.

8. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Ezekiel 23:36 The LORD said to me: "Son of man, will you judge Oholah and Oholibah? Then confront them with their detestable practices, for they have committed adultery and blood is on their hands. They committed adultery with their idols; they even sacrificed their children, whom they bore to me, as food for them. They have also done this to me: At that same time they defiled my sanctuary and desecrated my Sabbaths. On the very day they sacrificed their children to their idols, they entered my sanctuary and desecrated it. That is what they did in my house.

"So I will put an end to lewdness in the land, that all women may take warning and not imitate you. You will suffer the penalty for your lewdness and bear the consequences of your sins of idolatry. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign LORD."​
    And next Audible will rant about how he doesn't like the punishment for immorality. And if it's not immoral, what wrong with it? Are you trying to make an argument against prudishness by being prudish?

PS. Last I checked, there was no age limit to access sciforums. It seems you don't really care who reads these things, as long as you get to have your say.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  9. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

I don't know where you think the "impressionable youth" grow up, but that sounds an awful lot like reality. You don't protect people by locking them them up in a dark room, you protect them by teaching them about responsibility, consequences and virtue in the face of such realities.

10. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

jenyar did you read the original thread fully, it is mocking the self-righteous arseholes.
    I, and I dont think audible, really gives a shit what people read, see, or do. as long as they have the freedom to do it.

and I was just making aa point, by stating what ever you read, in the bible or any book for that matter, is going to be impressionable to the young.
    we should try to shield our young from indoctrination, in whatever form it takes.