WOW, THIS IS A NEW CHANGE THAT I"LL HAVE TO GET USE TO

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by cosmictraveler, Sep 25, 2014.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That is probably why we have been having problems with this forum lately because they were trying to get this new "look" ready. It isn't to bad but will take time to "adjust" to.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

This is a completely different software suite. I imagine the issues were with the old packages under vBulletin, but moving the databases to xenForo is proving to be less than smooth.

It's changed twice since I first logged in this morning. I re-uploaded my avatar, but it has since disappeared and I can't replace it yet. Much work for the devs to do before it's stable it looks like.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The new Sciforums seems to be largely incompatible with my old browser.

Sadly, I expect that this will pretty much be my last post. You may still see me posting from another computer occasionally, but that will probably be infrequent.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

8. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

And -- "Edit Post" is gone... [post=3228069]Post #2[/post]

9. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Oh, boy. I expect the attachments are still there, but no longer linked properly in the new schema. Lots more for them to work out (that should have been addressed off-line) before it all works again.

Edit: It seems I can edit this post. Maybe they haven't changed defaults yet.

10. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Well -- the thing about this software is ... it's not free. So the site owners deserve excellent customer support from the vendor.

11. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

It appears they've already paid the extra $250 for branding removal. Let's hope for the best.

12. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Whatever browser it is, surely it can be updated to a newer version unless it's an old XP computer stuck with IE8. In that case, just download Firefox for free as an alternative / new default browser. [Or Chrome, but the latter could slow it down or drag it to a halt if it's likewise an older PC with only 1GB ram).

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Or get a RaspberryPi for $30! You can probably use your old mouse/keyboard/screen, and Midori works quite well with most forums. (It's a little slow, but if it's replacing an old XP machine there's probably not much difference.) If you just want a net browser it's a very cheap solution.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

In an ideal world the change of forum would use a Parallel implementation where the new version is placed separately from the old and members asked to migrate over during testing, rather than a conversion/ Big Bang implementation. Big Bang Implementations have far more bugs to sort out and the problem is once you start on it, your committed to having to deal with it.

Ideally they should of Archived the old forum build and started with a fresh forum. This would negated a number of the errors, bugs and potential zombie exploit code that still exists, however the search function of the new forum wouldn't be been integrated with the old.

Hopefully most of the problems will be ironed out over time.

15. zgmc Registered Senior Member

Post counts are gone for the time being. Now I don't know who to take seriously

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I'm sure they will. I had a hard crash some time ago, and had day-old database backups to rebuild with. Even so, I was offline for three or four days, and once up there was still some sorting out of problems to deal with. The devs are doing pretty good work, given that they're doing a hot-plug replacement.

17. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Has anyone else noticed that \( \alpha \) doesn't display a greek letter?

18. FOLZONI Registered Senior Member

You'll be missed Yazata...
    ...even by newbies like me.

FOLZONI

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Where's the edit button?

20. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Wheres the Edit button ------------>test<----------

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Where's the "test" button, I have none.

22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I dont see a "Edit" button.!!!

23. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

That's surely one item that will return eventually. But it's looking ominous that some features in our accounts either won't be back or will return with diminished capacity. CosmicTraveler's once animated avatar, for instance, looks like it's either been made static or cut-back to max 6kb (from the former up-to 97.7kb allowed). Considering that there's no avatar function visible yet for either adding or removing them, I don't care to be stuck for good with the last one frozen on some particular random frame (should the thing ever even appear again).