WOW, THIS IS A NEW CHANGE THAT I"LL HAVE TO GET USE TO

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by cosmictraveler, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

C C - go into your profile and you can edit your avatar

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I had to re-add mine.

Some functions are being hampered by script errors - things will be worked out in time though.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

His flyin squrrell now looks like it smashed into a windshield

This "gray" avitar i just swithched to is about 60kb... but i didnt see any info about what the limit might be.!!!

Each time somethin starts workin... or workin beter is like gettin a new toy

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

My avatar is taking a break, its been hopping around for many years.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Thanks, Kitt. Those errors prevent me from even getting to my profile to see if anything has changed lately. But I see now that a right-click on "CC" does sometimes show a menu with a link to avatar. Though it likewise just pops-up an error when clicked. Guess I'll just have to wait this unpredictable mess out for a few more days.

I realize now that this is what Yazata was probably referring to; his browser wasn't really the culprit.

8. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Good deal. Even 30kb less than the old 97.7kb would still be fantastic.

9. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

10. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Bummer. Animated gifs are indeed defunct now, even if the single-framed ones can go up to 60+kb.

11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Surly not... prolly just some bad code... the "smiles" ant even animated yet

You'rs an Spider Goats are realy fun.!!!

12. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

My old under 6kb anigifs do work. But not the larger file sizes over the last two years. It's back to cave-dweller days of dial-up and slow processors, I guess, when such limitations were warranted. Que Sera, Sera...

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why isn't mine animated? It was working before this change, is there something I need to do to make it animate here?

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

C C - not sure yet

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The avatar problem is caused by the sites software resizing the avatar to the new dimensions. (The avatar is redrawn into a couple of different sizes for the forum usages, for instance the current size in post here is 96x96. It's stored on your profile page as 192x192 and lastly it's 48x48 in thread views. That's 3 different resizes, It might be possible for one of them to stay animated however you'd have to decide if you want that animation in post, in the thread listing or on your profile page.

Furthermore there is a thread on the topic at the actual software site for Admins (and more explanation on how to work around it)
    https://xenforo.com/community/threads/animated-avatars.34894/

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Thank you Stryder.

17. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

My apologies, CT. Apparently the under 6kb gif I tried earlier was only working on the sidebar of the "new profile posts" section of my account. Just assumed it was animating out here as well. Seems to be a waste of time drawing any long-term conclusions at this stage.

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

192x192 works for your profile and (Just checked that) 96x96 doesn't work, I'm guessing 48 doesn't either.

19. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

Well this is certainly a new format,who's idea was it for the "like" button?

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  20. nimbus Registered Senior Member

Just a shot in the dark…
    Does your squirrel character look larger than before the change?
    My crow's body became so large that the avatar only showed part of the bird’s body, I had to knock the whole picture down to 100x100 pics to get it right. Maybe it the same with aminated avatars?

21. nimbus Registered Senior Member

Or even animated avatars.

22. nimbus Registered Senior Member

Flip, where that edit button

23. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

CT's animated avatar works in CT's profile, and a browser info check on it reads it as 45x50 and the file size is 5.69kb. I've tried various animated gifs of various dimensions up to 90+kb, and they all move in my profile. But they never work out here. More and more I fear that this is all the XenForo board system will ever do: It simply grabs a 96x96 snapshot from the first frame of an ani-gif and plants it out here, and that's it. To see it animate one has to go the member's profile.