wow whata storm

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by sculptor, Jul 1, 2014.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

wow whata storm we just had
    Straight line winds of 80 mph(with gusts), 5 inches of rain (3 in 25 minutes), branches down all over the woods,
    One of the feeder creeks upriver rose 12 feet in less than 2 hours(the river is up 11 feet in the last 7 days, and I expect another 5-8 within the next 2-3 days).
    6 of the 14 stations upriver from me are up over 6 ft. in the last 24 hours.
    There is a dam downriver from us, and flooded roads downriver of it. The iowa often flows at 1000 cubic feet per second, and is running at 19000 today.
    wowie zowie
    A friend who stores his sailboat in my woods has it in the river at the end of our path to the river---------as the river rises, the boat keeps getting closer and closer to my back yard. Neat.
    Brats and beer and roasted asparagus and peppers and pleasing conversation with intellectual peers in the cockpit of the boat of the evening is the order of the day lately. Tomorrow, it'll be 2 professors, a musician, and me.

the good and the bad
    I spent most of the afternoon soaking wet, clearing drains, and channeling water away from the house.
    A damned fun pain in the ass.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(we're high enough above the river that we only flood when the drains that I have to catch the runoff from uphill get plugged)
    As the river continues to rise, we'll kayak and canoe through the submerged riverine forest ----------a real rare treat.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Nature at its most violent is exhilarating so long as it doesn't harm you.
    It shows there is something bigger than man.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Easier to catch the fish.

8. heytogi Registered Member

Where do you live sculptor? Sorry i don't have tv! And its been a while i didn't check the news cause i find its always something bad happening!! lol! Its rare i watched the news and something good happened!
    Thank you for the info! It sounds awsome been in this storm!!

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Iowa by coralville lake (a fat spot in a dammed river).
    41.789100, -91.589707

10. nghia_dtvt5 Registered Member

Good :Nature at its most violent is exhilarating so long as it doesn't harm you

11. johnygeed Registered Member

Is this a mistake of Google translate?