X-mas food !!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Paraclete, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: What time did you say dinner was?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

We stick to the traditional British style of roast turkey with chestnut stuffing, chipolata sausages, roast potatoes and broccoli because it's nicer than brussel sprouts, oh and proper giblet gravy. We'll wash it down with some good Merlot or Chardonnay (for the wimps). After a few hours we'll have a traditional xmas pudding, which I make myself, in fact I just made 2 today; we'll have the other one next year (it keeps very well).

Though our choice of food is fine and delicious, it would seem pretty meagre to most other Cypriots where a typical gathering will have roast turkey, roast suckling pig, souvla (large chunks of lamb, pork, or chicken or all 3, skewered and cooked over charcoal), stuffed vine leaves, Cypriot sausages, avgolemoni soup, pastichio (macaroni with mincemeat covered in bechamel sauce and baked in the oven), roast potatoes, bread and a host of other goodies, from rabbit stew to stifado (beef in red wine).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Paraclete Banned Banned

That sounds excellent, Tabla, Cyprus !!!!!

Do we have some aussies or kiwis here - how about you ?
    Beachparty with seafood ???

Tell us about your X-mas dinner !!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Paraclete Banned Banned

Tabla ,
    what is your recipe for a X-mas pudding ?

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Our Xmas Eve menu consists of spiral cut honey-baked ham with an assortment of breads such as stone ground wheat, Italian sourdough, and Russian rye bread served encircling the ham. Presentation is everything.

On the side will be an array of condiments to garnish the breads. Depending on how many will be there (virtually everyone in my family), we might add a smoked turkey and homemade BBQ. There will be a vegetable tray with assorted dipping sauces such as dill-onion, sourcream, and rasberry-yogurt vinegarette.

To complement the evening, which will be served buffet-style, will be an assortment of nuts, pretzels, and chips which will go nicely with the ham, turkey and BBQ sandwiches. Cakes, cookies, pies and candies will be served, mostly for the children, but on that particular evening, we all act like children.

Of course, there will be the big punch bowl full of eggnog, which I make from my own secret homemade recipe that calls for Bacardi 151. While the children are opening their many undeserved and way-too-expensive gifts, their moms, dads, aunts and uncles, and I, the grandmother of the brood, will be able to enjoy their innocent cheers and laughter as well as the occasional scream and physical assault, because one of their cousins got something they wanted.

The children, usually too excited to bother with the buffet line, head straight under the tree sorting out each one's stack of brightly wrapped presents. And stack them, they do. Size is everything.

Lost somewhere in the sea of wrapping paper is the baby of the family. When he is finally found, he is sailing happily away in a box behind the tree. He was so excited to mimic the older children when he unwrapped his gifts, but we soon learned that he was more interested in playing with the box than the toy in it.

By now, the adults are in a truly joyous holiday mood. One of the children lost her stocking. One of her cousins hid it. One of the boys got a new bicycle, and his sister rode off on it. The new fluffy slippers the kids gave me were found the next day in the fish tank.

My daughter crocheted me a beautiful afghan, but one of the kid's dogs pissed on it. While we were watching the children indulge with joy, the dogs were on the table eating the turkey and ham.

By now the adults were exuding a bit too much comfort and joy. The children were sleepy as they came down off their sugarplum high. We put them to bed with their new-fangled toys, and we sat down to relax and enjoy the rest of Xmas Eve. The eggnog was gone, so we broke out the wine. The moms cleaned the kitchen, while the dad's got a game of poker going. My son-in-law and I sat down by the fireplace and drank some red wine.

Our Xmas Eve is wonderful! I can't wait for all that Xmas cheer again this year!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  9. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

I try not to follow traditions although there is only so far one can go without offending those who expect something, and who one does not want to upset.

When my daughters were a lot younger we would have traditional British xmas meals - turkey etc. Now I am in the USA and unless my daughter who lives here invites me then I will likely have something simple like eggs and bacon on my own.

This year I'm planning to go out for Sushi.