x^y=y^x

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Jerrek, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

How would you go about differentiating this question, say with respect to x? Find y'. This is definitely giving me some issues.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Damn... tough one

x^y=y^x
    y=x^(y/x)

by analysis this is true if y/x=1 (although I'm not sure how to prove it besides plotting a contour of x^y-y^x=z)

so this would simplify to x=y

x'=1

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lethe Registered Senior Member

logarithmic differentiation. not too bad. i get dy/dx = [ln y - y/x]/[ln x - x/y]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

But lethe, I did that, but you still end up with a y in the other side. Is that acceptable? (Pardon me, I'm second year and I'm not fond of Calculus.)

8. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

is that a homework problem? that seems damn tough

9. lethe Registered Senior Member

x^y = y^x is a transendental equation, so i would expect there to be a y on both sides of the equation. if you can t solve the original equation for y, i don t see why you should be able to solve it in the derivative equation.

10. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

Thank you. No it isn't a homework problem, just something one of my friends threw at me to make me think.

11. RKBA Registered Member

For what it's worth, here's what Maple thinks about it:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. HallsofIvy Registered Senior Member

To answer the question that was asked earlier, yes, it quite acceptable to write dy/dx in terms of both x and y, in fact it might be NECESSARY. Of course, theoretically, one should be able to solve for y as a function of x and replace it but the whole point of "implicit differentiation" is that it is applicable when you CAN'T solve for x.

Implicit differentiation is applicable even when y is NOT a function of x. A simple example is : x<sup>2</sup>+ y<sup>2</sup>= r<sup>2</sup>. While it is easy to solve for y, it's double valued: we have to choose either + or -. On the other hand,
    differentiating the equation gives 2x+ 2yy'= 0 so y'= -x/y.

Here it wouldn't make sense to ask for the derivative at a specific value of x: there may be two different values of y for a single value of x- you have to give both x and y.