Yellowstone Supervolcano

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Wolfboy, May 25, 2004.

1. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Well at least it's somewhat comforting to know that I'm right below the border of Yellowstone's ash effects.. 8 miles down the coast of Ventura. :bugeye:

- N

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

If you're anywhere in North America, South America, Asia or even Europe when the Yellowstone Supervolcano blows, it won't really matter much where you're at.......Remember Toba (Circa: 74,000 years ago).

Yob Atta

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

It'll still alter your climate.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It will alter your life span and everyone's else's too...............If we're fortunate and Yellowstone Supervolcano blows up within our lifetime, at least some of us might survive to record the effects of this possible near-global exinction event for future generations, if there are any!

Yob Atta

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

think australia will servive?

9. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Yea, there will be survivors, Yellowstone probably won't knock off the whole world population like Toba almost did 74,000 years ago. After the Supervolcano Toba blew, there were probably only 4,000 indiviudals left. Of course the world population was probably less than 500,000 early hominids (neanderthals and etc.) at that time. Now the world is so populated that even when Yellowstone goes, there will be a lot of survivers this time........We don't know when Toba will blow it's top off again either.

Yob Atta

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Why is it all the worlds problems come from the US?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

World killing presidants, World killing volcano's ect

11. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately Bush doesn't live in Wyoming.........If he did and Yellowstone goes......Happy Days are here again!!!

Yob Atta

12. Andre Registered Senior Member

13. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Yea, I remember ya........You were the one standing next to the cave in Borneo with the club on your shoulder........That was a good blast back then wasn't it. I guess you were one of the lucky ones! Especially having a calendar and all.

Yob Atta

14. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Lol, I know I'm still screwed. It was a bit of hopeful sarcasm. I just found it funny that my town was mentioned as the psuedo-border especially when everyone wonders if the volcano will ever reach them.

- N

15. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

16. ck27 Registered Senior Member

lol i live in minneapolis, minnesota. YOU think i will surivive when it blows cause id ont want to be dead right when it starts i want to see everything end. I might kinda have a mess up mind but i hope it goes off in my lifetime. Make my life more interesting witnessing the extermination of most species on the planet.

17. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Right now the best indicators when the Yellowstone Supervolcano may blow again is if there are a couple of 5 or 6 magnitude earthquakes in quick succession in Yellowstone Park.........If that happens, then it will probably blow it's top off again right after the earthquakes! My bet is that the huge dome that is rising in the middle of the floor of Yellowstone Lake is a pretty good indicator!!! The plug is about ready to blow I think!

Yob Atta

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

That solcomhouse is a bit of a doomsday site... I linked to it earlier. The official yellowstone site is a bit more optimistic.

19. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Yea......The solcomhouse website on Yellowstone makes it look like the big one is coming soon.......But if Yellowstone is 40,000 years overdue, then anything is possible I guess. It wouldn't hurt to keep watching the earthquake activity in Yellowstone. If it starts to increase a lot with a couple of big 6th magnitude earthquakes, then something is up and it could be a precursor to what the scientists say will ultimately happen anyway, "The Big One Blows It's Top Off Again" and of course then we'll all have a big problem, won't we!

Yob Atta

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

If we had a few years', or even months', notice of such a monstrous geological belch, the USA and other countries could make preparations: like clearing the area for several hundred miles around, and storing food/supplies/machines/animals/people in huge underground shelters, ready to start again once the volcanic winter ended.

In the case of a supervolcano, this might actually work - in the movie Deep Impact, of course, it would have been futile, since the shockwaves from a cometary impact in North America would probably have caused underground caverns on that continent to collapse.

21. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Let's hope a small asteroid doesn't impact in the middle of Yellowstone Lake! A worst case scenario I think!

Yob Atta

22. ck27 Registered Senior Member

Lol i thought deep impact was a great movie in my eyes of view. I really enjoyed the movie. But anywayz back on topic. I dont think it would matter if we had a ten year notice. We wouldn't do anything expecially with the bushasshead administration.

23. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Norman, as far as I can tell, neanderthals weren't around 74,000 years ago, more like 200,000 years ago. Well, if us humans get our stuff togethor maybe first we can do some things to minimize crustal pressure changes to help minimize volcanic activity and maybe even, do some judicial pressure release excavation or drilling. I don't know but I will continue day to day, breathing in and out, I hope, for a long time to come, perhaps long enough to the extent that I can permanently move to a space colony then, I will still want efforts to be taken to prevent catastrophes on my home planet but it wont necessarily become an immediate concern.