Yellowstone Supervolcano

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Wolfboy, May 25, 2004.

1. Facial Valued Senior Member

I certainly hope that it does erupt soon. But prospects are bleak; look at the USGS FAQ. My guess still stands at 60,000 years in the future.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Chaldera to be precise. A lava dome. A very big lava dome.

And as far as being afraid of it. What will happen first? Ice age? Global warming? Catastrophic meteor strike? Magnetic pole shift? Yellowstone? We're lined up for a large number of catastrophic events. Which one will happen first? Maybe they'll all hit on the same day...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So, screw it, why worry about it. Can't win for losing. So just go on about your business and hope for the best.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

The USGS wasn't around 640,000 years ago when Yellowstone Supervolcano last erupted making it 40,000 years overdue. Yellowstone could blow at anytime regardless of what the USGS says, because Yellowstone will blow when it's ready to blow.......and if there are a couple of 6th magnitude earthquakes under Yellowstone tomorrow and you're anywhere in North America, then you better phone the USGS (if you're still around) and tell them goodby.......

Yob Atta

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ck27 Registered Senior Member

Yellowstone is 40,000 years over but anywayz as far as i know it shows no sign of erupting any time soon but i hope it does. Just to prove the USGS wrong.

8. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

A volcano is not a clockwork mechanism, fellas - nor is it a regular natural system like a Cepeheid variable star. As Norman said, it will blow when it's ready to, not on the precise stroke of a clock. Who knows, perhaps this time the subtle shifts of the faultlines around Yellowstone have enlarged its magma storage capacity by a factor of four? It may not need to break the surface for another half million years yet.

Then again, perhaps a new giant mantle plume is even now preparing to erupt from beneath Illinois, or Florida, or the UK..?

9. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

We're always overdue for catastrophic events. The Yellowstone Supervolcano could explode anytime soon. Within this year, this decade, this century, anytime folks... anytime

10. Facial Valued Senior Member

I highly doubt that it will erupt within my lifetime. But, as I said countless times, I'd be very privileged to experience such an event.

11. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

These catastrophic near-exinction events are in the big scheme of things, probably a good thing. Certainly the Yellowstone Supervolcano when it decides to blow again, will undoubtly reduce the "current world population" down to marginable levels as for example, the Toba Supervolcano did then to the then "current world population" at that time (circa: 74,000 years ago) down to 4,000 or 5,000 cave dwelling neanderthals and maybe a few extra leftover hominids........

Yob Atta

12. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

That kind of thinking will only generate a big surprise later on.........USGS doesn't control Yellowstone's eruption schedule. It's well documented that Yellowstone blows approx. every 600,000 years and has blown it's top off regulary for the past 2.1 million years. Right now, Yellowstone is approx. 40,000 years "overdue". I don't think the USGS has any future plans in moving their headquarters next to Yellowstone Lake. I wonder why??? The USGS still can't predict with any reasonable degree of accuracy, earthquakes, nor can they predict with an even "less" degree of accuracy, a future eruption date of a supervolcano........Especially Yellowstone!!!

Yob Atta

13. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Sorry to bust your "bubble" about Supervolcanos.........The USGS has "never" seen a Supervolcano eruption before, let alone predict one........At this point, they "can not" predict with any degree of accuracy, the date of Yellowstone's next eruption! Nor can they predict when Yellowstone will have "big" earthquakes. Right? Right! So if Yellowstone decides to blow tomorrow and it could, there is nothing the USGS can do about it let alone trying to predict it. However, because you're so enthusiastic about the next Yellowstone eruption, you might want to buy your next property and build your house near the shoreline of Yellowstone lake. Maybe if you're lucky and Yellowstone answers your prayers, you'll get a better view and and a front row seat for the next big supervolcano erpution!

Yob Atta

14. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I doubt very seriously if the USGS wants to make a so-called Yellowstone Supervolcano eruption prediction and go public with it, because having "never" seen a supervolcano erupt before, the USGS cannot with any degree of accuracy place the date (within a hundred years) nor the initial size of the earthquakes that will "trigger" the supervolcano eruption........Your statements to the contrary have little or no meaning in vulcanology or nor even have hardly any validity because of the fact that Yellowstone will blow again, when Yellowstone wants to blow again regardless of what you think or what you say. You need to go and do some preliminary 6th grade homework on volcano physics, especially supervulcanolgy. That way the next time the subject comes you might be able to discuss with some degree of intelligence. Right now, the best thing you can do is go fishing in Yellowstone Lake, light up a cigar and hope for the best!!!

Yob Atta

15. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

You're the one making the last three rebuttal posts........So who is the paranoid one? If Earth Science is your forte, then eating at McDonalds should help you digest more intelligence, especially when it comes to vulcanology........

Yob Atta

16. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

If I were you, I would look for another thread to post your comments on. This one is obviously way over your head......

Yob Atta

17. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Sure, in CNN!

18. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

CNN where ever they are, will be buried under 5 feet of volcanic ash when Yellowstone blows.........

Yob Atta

19. ck27 Registered Senior Member

Cnn wont be covered by ash for sure.

20. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

CNN doesn't know when Yellowstone will blow and nor does anyone else.......In terms of Ash, most of North America will be covered with ash, including CNN!

Yob Atta

21. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't it be more shocking if such an event took place under the ocean?

You'd probably get tsunami almost on the scale of the one in "Deep Impact," enough steam to cloud the whole world over, and an instant new Hawaii or Galapagos to boot! (Minus the finches, giant tortoises and hula girls).

22. ck27 Registered Senior Member

lol deep impact was so unrealistic. Tidal waves never wash in 600 miles inland.

23. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Actually they found city block sized boulders in Texas and parts of Mexico that were carried by a monterous tital wave created by the infamous asteroid that impacted in the Chuxilub area in the Gulf of Mexico 65 million years ago......Believe it or Not!

Yob Atta