Yellowstone Supervolcano

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Wolfboy, May 25, 2004.

1. ck27 Registered Senior Member

if a big enough asteroid were to slam into the ocean i wonder if it would cause half of northamerica and south america and all those other countries to be washed away? I doubt though

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

What size is "big enough" ck27? Perhaps a diameter of 1 km? Or 10 km? or 100km? If an asteriod the size of the Moon collided with Earth, what would be the consequences? - say it crashes in the middle of the Pacific ocean.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

The pacific ocean i guess would be a little shallow for the impact of the moon. The tidal forces will be enormous and the earth will bulge towards it. Tides will reach inland as far as hundreds of miles.

I doubt theres an asteroid the size of the moon though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

A collision with an object the size of the Moon would generate enough heat to vapourize the oceans entirely. It would also shatter the Earth's crust like a dropped eggshell and melt rock to a depth of several dozen kilometers.

As with the giant primaeval collision thought to have created the Moon, a significant percentage of Earth's crust and upper mantle mass would no doubt be blasted into space, and quite possibly condense into a second, smaller moon (or more than one). Even if Earth remained more or less in one piece, it would be reduced to a ball of lava wrapped in a cloud of superheated steam - and lose much of its water permanently.

Come to think of it, an object anything like Moon-sized might not even be able to strike the Earth directly: if it approached gradually rather than head-on, it would be torn to pieces by tidal effects before actual contact was made. We'd get a massive bombardment of fragments instead, which would still render Earth lifeless.

8. ck27 Registered Senior Member

Something the size of the moon were to hit earth we could kiss every bit of life on this planet goodbye almost instantly

9. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Yea.......I'll be sure and leave that day blank on my calendar!

Yob Atta

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Makes the Yellowstone supervolcano seem rather like popping a zit by comparison.

Anyone heard the latest about Tau Ceti: that it has a much greater mass of debris surrounding it than the Sun? Any Earth-sized planet there will probably have endured such sterilizing collisions more than once.
    http://www.spacedaily.com/news/extrasolar-04q.html

11. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Yea, right now not to many of us want to visit Tau Ceti.......To much UV I guess.

Yob Atta

12. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Too much UV? Tau Ceti is considerably cooler, and more orange in hue, than the Sun: its blackbody emission curve will be further towards the red end of the spectrum, and the UV flux correspondingly LOWER.

Better to say too much IR.

13. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I guess if decide to land on one the of the so-called hypothetical planets that may be in the Tau Ceti system and it's close enough, it really doesn't matter how much IR or UV you get........You're going to fry anway!

Yob Atta

14. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Funny how both impacts (the prevalent event in the Tau Ceti system) and supervolcanoes are firey, energetic events - and yet, on a global level, their most widespread effect would be to induce the cold and gloom of a cosmic winter. After fire comes ice, and dark levels all...

15. Facial Valued Senior Member

Ever play Chrono Trigger? It's like when Lavos falls from the sky.

16. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Did you ever see the 50's scifi movie "Chronos"? If you did you would most likely fall out of your seat in the theater!

Yob Atta

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Never heard of the movie. Who's in it? Is it anything to do with natural disasters?

18. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

The Scifi 50's movie "Chronos" was so bad that it was funny and you would crack up watching it! That movie was a natural disaster..........

Yob Atta

19. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

If I'm still on Earth when the super volcanoe blows than my cover could be blown with the public because I'd have to go to my true body to servive the blast an all that. I know it'll blow soon because it's over due to blow.

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Your true body? Considering the name you've chosen, MewSkitty, are you a Pokemon?

Given your prodidgous rate of posting so far, you could be the new Jadedflower.

21. Facial Valued Senior Member

Mewskitty is not a pocket monster. But it won't survive the Yellowstone blast whatsoever.

22. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Have you checked the Yellowstone Park earthquake activity lately??? You might want too......It's getting more interesting now! (checkout: www.earthside.com/yellowstone.html Might be interesting reading for ya!

Yob Atta

23. Alsophia Theophilos Registered Senior Member

An amusing angle on this story: We've all heard of the "California sliding into the ocean" stories. Many psychics claim the future shoreline will be Nebraska (if you care to listen to psychics). Where do we test our megaton bombs?
    Underground, right? What are these energy releases doing down there? Can they possibly be cracking some underground faults to the extent that Yellowstone might wake up and blow half the US into oblivion. I believe it has been shown that the last "supervolcano" that blew brought the entire human population of this planet down to a measly 10,000 or so. Not that we can do much about it. Maybe ask our great warriors to test their bombs on mars? Jaja