Yellowstone Supervolcano

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Wolfboy, May 25, 2004.

1. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Yellowstone the world'd largest supervolcano is already beginning to stir again. The last time it erupted was 640,000 years ago. It has erupted on a somewhat regular cycle every 600,000 years for the past 2.1 million years and that makes it approx. 40,000 years overdue.........When it goes this next time and it will sooner than later, make sure and leave that day 'blank' on your calendar.

Atta Boy

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Great idea; the Moon would be an even better testing ground, since it's much closer and almost certainly completely lifeless. The problem is, getting the bombs there first: what if the rocket carrying them explodes on takeoff, like Challenger?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Facial Valued Senior Member

Lets see, several months have gone by, and by golly, it still hasn't erupted!

Oh NO! Norman, it's time to panic! I think I'm gonna piss in my pants...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Let's see...What's worst going to be worst? You pissing in your pants or Yellowstone erupting? I guess you pissing in your pants would probably be worst! Please give us an advanced warning when you start to feel the urge so we can relocate..O.K.?

Atta Boy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

It's a scary thought, the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting.

When it does erupt, all the places in the western US—the only places I have been on this Earth—that I or any others hold near and dear will be erased from the face of the Earth. Legacies will be erased . . .

Sorry, I'm in one of my no-right-word-for-it mental fits again . . . But it's sad to think about it . . . for me, anyway.

9. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Yea, I know what you mean......Best thing to do is just leave that day blank on your calendar!

Atta Boy

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Unlike a giant cosmic impact, Norman's beloved supervolcano would not result in worldwide (or even continent-wide) earthquakes. So perhaps we should petition the governments of the northern hemisphere to invest in building huge underground shelters and food stores against this imminent cataclysm?

Since the disaster is under indefinite postponement - but could, alternatively, happen tomorrow - it's never to early to start preparing for it. Better than letting people south of the equator sit back and watch us all starve or freeze in a years-long volcanic winter.

11. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Apologies, folks: I seem to have closely repeated one of my own earlier posts from this thread.

Usually Norman is the one to do this - hope I haven't stolen his concept!

12. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It's O.K.....I don't mind if you repeated one of your posts. I don't even think anyone else will mind either, just as long as you spell your name correctly, which is probably a little more difficult for you than the rest of us........

Atta Boy

13. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Why would it be more difficult for me? The only time I have to enter it is when I first log on, anyway...

On second thoughts, perhaps repeating my statements is the best way to make sure people remember them.

14. Facial Valued Senior Member

Seriously, Norman, what is your reason for worrying about the eruption? No matter how much evidence you try to gather, you cannot prove that Yellowstone is "overdue" for an eruption more so than it is not due, the latter of which is what most educated volcanologists believe.

It makes sense to prepare for such an event, but your hysterical prophetic generalizations about humankind and "doomsday" statements strongly underestimate the power of our geological knowledge, and are far from scientific.

And don't try to pretend you know more about this subject than I do, as assuring it may feel to you. I've seen the TV program more than 4 years ago. It's old news, and partially concocted to attract viewers.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  15. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

What is it with you and blank days on my calendar??!!! Ya know how many times ya said that in this thread?

16. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Sounds like your calendar may be a little off. Have you bought any lake front property near Yellowstone Lake lately? I think they're going to have a "Blow Out" sale in the near future. You might want to check into it.........

Atta Boy

17. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Sounds like by your latest post, that you're not in the same group of what you call "Educated Volcanologists".........Just exactly what group are you really in? Perhaps it's called the "It Can't & Won't Happen Group" Probably it would be good for you and your buddies to hold your daily meetings near Yellowstone Lake just in case it does blow so that you can get view of it for some future documentary on Super Volcanos......That is of course if you're still around after the eruption! We all look forward to your next "It can't & Won't Happen Group" update.............

Atta Boy

18. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

People have been crying "Doom!" for hundreds of years, maybe thousands - obviously, just a vanishing instant in geological terms. Wouldn't it be suberbly ironic if all those doomcryers, past and present, could somehow be assembled to witness the next REAL global disaster, whenever it actually occurs?

They could all chorus "I told you so!!" (in whatever languages they spoke) before dying happy, while the rest of us died screaming.

19. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

The last real global disaster that happened was Toba (Circa:72,000 BC) At that time the world population was approx. 500,000 or less club bearing hairy hominids. Some recent DNA research suggests that over a period of time after the Toba eruption, the population (neanderthals or otherwise) dwindled down to less than 10,000 individuals.........Some careful studies show that Toba eruption was greater than previous Yellowstone eruptions which date back 2.1 million years. When the Yellowstone supervolcano decides to blow it's top again and it will someday, it could be an eruption on a greater scale than Toba. But the facts are that Yellowstone's magma chamber is growing larger all the time and it's obvious that pressures within the supervolcano have been building for hundreds of thousands of years now. Someday it will blow again. Overdue? Maybe. No one is saying "if" it will blow again, the real question is "when"? Your guess is as good as mine!

Atta Boy

20. Facial Valued Senior Member

Wrong. Perhaps I should label you into the "I'm going to piss in my pants, because I am going to leave everyday blank on my calendar" group, of which I won't be mistaken. Don't try to make derogatory remarks about my knowledge, because I'd love it if I see you take a geology class with me and I see you fail miserably.

Sure. I've visited Yellowstone myself, so I might even live there comfortably, while you implore the heavens for it to erupt (or piss in your pants) well past your golden years.

Once again, you childishly assume that it'll erupt within my lifetime. Practically speaking, it won't.

Thus, here I am. Hmmm, lets see... gathering all updates from the past 5 days... oh, here's a big surprise for you! IT STILL HASN't ERUPTED! It will happen in the distant future, but now I can guarantee with high level of confidence, (perhaps I should refrain from using statistics, which you have an extreme lack of understanding thereof), that it won't happen within my lifetime. You might be wondering why I keep responding to your posts. That's because I am trying relentlessly to correct your flawed attitudes and shallow doomsday interpretations about earth science (for your information, that includes volcanology).

As your name implies, you're still pretty naiive. So of course, I have certainty that you will move past this obsessive phase in your life. But of course, not as certain as my assertion of the eruption

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  21. Facial Valued Senior Member

I see a crack, a glint of light, passing through your wall of fear.

22. Facial Valued Senior Member

-edited, see above.

23. Facial Valued Senior Member

I've long since noticed that he sounds like a broken record. It's time we ought to fix him.

Athelwulf, join me in the struggle to liberate Norman.