You’re not atheists.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Light Travelling, May 19, 2006.

1. Little_Birdie Registered Senior Member

according to catholic doctrine, a theologan's view of athisim, there are two forms one who hates god or one who denies his existance so it would seem that from the perseptive of each beliver an atheist is someone not beliving in their god as what they belive is truth to them, as for a coliqual defination i feel the trem has been around to long and has so many meanings to so many different people the term must be personly defined by the one using it to desride himself its almost like there are sects of atheism

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I prefer to let people pre-conceive their own notions about themselves and see how they identify with known concepts. As for my thought process, I have consciousness that maintains an active conceptual geometry that is under continuous modeling throught my life. I feed that geometry information which to the best of my understanding correlates to reality. I use my subconscious to focus on any activity as it's able to access my conceptual geometry and incoming information with much greater volume and speed than my consciousness. Depending on the situation, my subconscious may elicit an emotional flag (ex. something is wrong) to my consciousness for some active analysis.

It wasn't meant to be an assertion of truth. It was meant to exemplify how someone whom finds it difficult to manage attributes of absence can turn it around into attributes of presence.

The very fact that there are thousands of religions in existance (ex. Jews, Christains, and Wiccans) and within each one there are multiple sects (ex. protestants, menanites, and catholics) shows that religion also has great division which are utterly inflexible. It's not my opinion that religions are responsible for such divisions. It's people. Humans are great at detecting / creating difference and gravitate towards similarity (every wonder why high school students all try to look the same)?. In other words they naturally segregate. Humans are also naturally heirarchical. If you find 10 people in any particular segregation, they will segregate amongst themselves with respect to social dominance. Religion is a manifestation of this behavior and any corresponding problems... but certainly not the source. IMO, segregation and heirarchy should be promoted in a healthy, flexible, and non-destructive manner. With that kind of infrastructure, hypothetically people will unite and divide dynamically in size, speed, and as necessary.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

A photon is just light. It and other forms of light energy are still matter, more or less, just converted into pure energy and expressed as light. So...photons were matter, and they're in a transitional form.
    ...I think...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Oh, the semantics of it! Catholic doctrine is false and it breeds falsehoods. Atheists do not "hate god." Atheists "deny its existence." Atheists do not have "a god," so using the possessive pronoun "there" is incorrect. There are no "sects" of atheism. There are no gods, therefore, there are no believers.

8. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Sort of. Matter and energy are really the same thing: E=mc^2

9. Little_Birdie Registered Senior Member

i was just trying to understand the specific forms of atheism in this forum, as everyone seems to be coming from a different place and expecting it to be the same, i think we need to broadly define atheism and then divide it into subsections based on each indavidual's personal definition; i think as broad as we can go is to say... what exactly do you think

10. Possumking I think, I am? Registered Senior Member

Who are you to define what an atheist is?

11. Meathead Registered Member

Were and is are completely different. Having had mass is not having mass.

12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

This might just be faulty memory, but I could have sworn seeing it theorized that photons might have rest mass... ya just dont see it because they don't seem to rest.

13. Meathead Registered Member

That's not faulty memory, you've got it right as far I remember aswell.

14. Roman Banned Banned

No, not at all. Atheist simply means one without a god. It doesn't imply that they don't believe in spirits or the like.

What about the atheist that spends her sunday alone, meditating, making her chi energy positive?

15. staples disconnected Registered Senior Member

Interestingly, properly practicing Buddhists were found to be the happiest people on the earth. Something to do with being able to, through their meditations, activate the left-prefrontal lobe.

What does that mean? Even if you think it is pessimistic, it's followers clearly are not. Why you assume they would immediately convert to christianity seems retarded. Who wants to follow an absolute prick of a god, when you could be happy?

16. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Or what about the atheist that spends her Sundays alone, baking bread and pies. Neither she nor the meditator are wasting time in church.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Then, you admit to never using critical thinking?

Since you don't use critical thinking, you're opinion of it is moot.

And of course, your claim to "religious experience" is specious at best. You have every opportunity to distinguish that experience from any other, but I trust you can't.

It would also appear "thinking" is not something you're aware.

Explain why there are thousands of sects of Christianity and explain how they are united? Explain how Christianity and Islam have united people?

18. VitalOne Banned Banned

According Jesus the kingdom of God isn't a place:
    "Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, 'The kingdom of God does not come with observation; 'nor will they say, '‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is 'within you." - Luke 17:20

Unfortunately Christianity today is not about following Jesus it is about following the Church, an institution. This is true for most other religions too.

19. Little_Birdie Registered Senior Member

no christains are not following christ because instruation has fallen apart so a misguided generation is misguiding the next further the church has the information handed down froom jesus to the apostles for anyone who wishes to seek it, but those indaviduals are few

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Those "individuals" never existed, so stop with the bullshit.

21. urielswing Registered Member

I think you a slightly confused. Agnostics are aloud to believe in spiritual and explainer beings of some kind. Atheists believe only in the power of man and science. Try a dictionary, a book on beliefs, or, dare I say it, a class on the subject.

22. as far as definitions go, what an atheist may believe is irrelevant.

the word atheist literally means "not a theist". an atheist could be pretty much anything other than someone that believes in a god, gods, or adheres to a religion. other than that, they could be spiritualists, believe in ghosts, aliens, natural philosophy, whatever.

i don't believe in god. i'm pretty sure that makes me an atheist, and as far as i know, its the only criteria that you need to fulfill. its not a club, just a label applied to non-belief.

so you're wrong, atheists don't necessarily believe in the power of man and science. although some may, whether they do or not doesn't effect their status as atheists.

23. urielswing Registered Member

To be a “True Atheist” is to deny the existence of any explainer or spiritual beings, or another plain in general. Most “Proclaimed Atheists” are actually Agnostics, those that don’t conform to any organized religion. Now this is just the words of a religion major so I probably don’t know as much as you due but hay, you never know.