You Gotta Have Faith

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by IceAgeCivilizations, Apr 14, 2007.

1. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

IAC, why do argue on this site? It is pretty clear that you are not, and have not changed or altered anyone's opinions in any way. And it is pretty clear that you aren't going to.

I know you know that as well as anyone. So you are arguing on this site for one of two reasons:

1) You have doubts about your faith, and are trying to justify them.
    2) You are an arrogant prick.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Insults and preaching are not allowed here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I could have 'faith' in a 'loving creator', but what good does that do if in the 99.99999999999999999% likelihood that there isn't one?

Plus there is nothing to say that being an atheist means that you will be shunned by this loving creator. Only man insists that we must believe in god, but man has religious agenda's. If there is a loving god, in the grand scheme of things, there really is nothing to suggest he will hate us for not beliving in him. In fact if he demands that we believe in him despite the fact he has given us not a jot of evidence, then he really is insulting the intelligence that he has given us.

I have nothing to lose by being atheist in this regard. I spend my 1 shot at life seeing things for what they are and not becoming deluded. And if there really is a god out there, then who's to say he doesn't reward atheists and shun the theists?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

To summarise: If there is a god, there is no way my belief or non-belief in him will change a thing.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Then, why are you insulting everyones intelligence?

9. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Those with intelligence are not insulted.

10. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

IAC, why do spend your entire life trying to justify a literal interpretation of the Bible? Why not just have faith? Or are you the "Thomas" type which needs a basis for your belief?

11. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Jesus treated Old Testament history as real history.

12. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Okay, great. So why not just trust him then? Why do feel the need to have to justify your beliefs?

13. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Jesus did not have access to modern scientific teachings though did he? This only highlights his fallibility.

14. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Since He is purportedly part of the Triune God, he may know a bit more about science than His creation does, don't you think?

15. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

It's funny. IAC creates a thread entiled "You Gotta Have Faith." Yet his whole life is based on finding EVIDENCE to be the basis of faith (even though faith by nature requires no supporting evidence).

16. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

If Jesus would have argued that the earth was not at the center of the universe and it was not flat, this would have been a good indicator of his knowledge.
    Just one simple sentence: "The earth is not at the center of the universe, and it is round."

That's why guys like St. Augustine and other old church fathers argued to their death for facts that weren't true (Earth-Flat Theory, Geocentricism), similar to what you are doing IAC with the Young Earth Theory.

17. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I came to believe in Jesus, ensconsed in Darwinian dogma, so then, as a geologist, I set out to see how the historicity of the Bible matches up with biology, archaeology, and geology.

18. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

So you needed more than faith?

19. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I was born again, so that was done, but my intellectual training and curiosity kicked in and I started looking into the evidence.

20. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Yeah, IAC. You just gotta have faith, Scruffy.

Why look for evidence, when you already knew the truth? What's the point?
    The sequence of actions makes sense though. First you came to believe in Jesus through an experience which provided a basis for faith. Then you tried to rationalize the OT of the bible as best as you could around science which cleary points to an Old Earth.

21. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Why don't you start a Scruffy thread, you'd like that.

22. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Again, IAC. Why are you on this site? You know as well as I do that you are not changing anyone's opinion about anything, especially your odd Young Earth Theory.

Proverbs 28:25
    25 He who is of a proud heart stirs up strife,
    But he who trusts in the LORD will be prospered.

2 Timothy 2:23
    23 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.

IAC, I suggest you reconsider why you are on this site. You are a proud, arrogant person with no other purpose but to generate strife with your arrogant demeaner, your demeaning comments, and your provoking posts, like the one above.

23. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Good to see you're doing your Bible study today.