You WILL die someday..

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Mar 30, 2015.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm talking about more mundane nature. You know there is a tendency for people, when they don't understand something, to attribute cause to the most complex, least understood realm possible. Like if I don't know how a car works, I will probably think, if it doesn't run, it's the engine or transmission, when in reality it could just be out of gas. I think a similar thing is happening here. We don't even have to go to branes or dark matter. You dismiss our faulty senses, or pattern recognition in overdrive, or something misheard, in favor of all kinds of out there theories. I think the truth is mundane. But that wouldn't be interesting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not really. Science and the scientific method and peer review, certainly does though sort out the wheat from the chaff.
    Yes, the Universe is full of counter-intuitive phenomena, most of that we now have a good handle on anyway, including DM, DE.
    A CTC of course is just theoretical mathematical constructs that emerge from GR.
    You really now appear to be grasping at straws...well actually, you have been grasping at them for a while now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sounds a lot like some of our conspiracy minded friends.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You know, 9/11 was an inside job, and we didn't really go to the Moon...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Funny you know, I quite enjoyed the entertainment provided by both the "Outer Limits" and "X-Files" but that's all they were...Great entertainment, and not any sort of take on reality or truth.
    Some though it appears, are highly Impressionable and have contorted entertainment value into an illusionary state of reality.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I wonder how old you guys are. I'm 71. For me, this is not just a philosophical discussion.

I'm in rather decent health and both of my parents lived into their late 80s, so the odds are good that I'll at least make it into my early 80s. But that isn't quite the good news that it would have been fifty years ago.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I'm 55 and in good health, but I AM prediabetic. So I exercise by walking in the park and eating less. I am ready should the grim reaper come a'knock'n. I have no qualms about dying. I know it's natural and have been used to doing it all my life. If death is cessation of consciousness, I won't know it anyway. If there's an afterlife, so be that too. So I live life in the now, and make of it the lucky win that it was when I was conceived.

11. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Zhey ahh shall vee zay "jus followink aweduz".

12. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

13. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Time consumes life, and is ill fathomable as an absolutist without certain wisdom. If I were to live forever I would not count the seconds.

14. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

What calms me about my upcoming death is the fact that I was born one day too, and before I was born I didnt exist either, just like I will not exist after death. That calms me because that means out of nothing or something unknown to me and the rest of the world, I came to existence (consciousness wise).

Cyperium likes this.
  15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

With my last breath, I’ll exhale my love for you. I hope it’s a cold day, so you can see what you meant to me.
”
    Jarod Kintz,

16. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Death is a significant milestone for public observations of the soon-to-be buried or cremated body, but not as privately significant as qualitative consciousness terminating. The deepest forays into human vegetable-hood don't coincide with death. While living matter in that state still has a future or worldline to wrap-up, the phenomenal continuum associated with it has prematurely run into its permanent brick wall (barring a miracle mental resurrection).

At least deteriorating into a p-zombie phase seems impossible, where one would still be walking about and appear to other people to be aware and having experiences, but just as much be basking in an absence of everything as when dead. While there's such a condition as blindsight, apparently the rest of the modes lack discovered equivalents (deaf-hearing, odorless-smelling, unfeeling-somatosense, blank-introspection, etc). Even if the latter deficits were the case, the chance of suffering all of them at once would be an extraordinary convergence.

Should the "real" status given to this particular moment simply be a biased gift of cognition (i.e., validity of block-time), then this would not alter the final functioning configuration of D_Smith's body or the final coherent instant of D_Smith's experiences from having no further modifications or developing versions of D_Smith to cognitively shift or transit to. In the past, six-year old D_Smith yet has plenty of "track" left ahead for gradual transformations into very restricted new identities, but elderly D_Smith has tapped into the last of those. It's either return to the general empty abyss that sufficiently disorganized matter is like to itself or somehow rewind out of that to the similar nothingness that a fetal mind was emerging from in the womb 91 years ago. Or as a remote third option, appeal to some multiverse hypothesis that sports a parallel reality where D_Smith remains alive but minus the specific memories of this world. ["Smith, we're ready to transplant your brain into the robo-body, thanks to ancient Greek progress avoiding its fizzling-out or being interrupted for _X_ centuries."]
    If awareness and reflection were perversely still available, it would at least be egotistically comforting that the rest of the universe had disappeared along with the presence of one's body and thoughts, too. Of course, the cosmos is still being manifested and understood by other surviving minds, but it's too broadly stupid and devoid of passion to appreciate finally having such empirical and intellectual evidence for its existence after billions of years. While dying, there's always that rather useless bit of self-esteem which the doomed, insignificant human can feel in contrast to his/her rule-following yet "more clueless and insentient than a microbe" nature god.