Young Iraqis leaving Islam?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Michael, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

In the West this resulted in the Protestant movement and ultimately freedom from Religious rule. It took a few century's.

Maybe there'll be a Protestant movement in Iraq?

Actually, I'm sure Religions like Baha'i could make big inroads if they had the freedom to evangelize Iraqis.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Of course.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If Reza says it, it cannot be false. Do all Iranians also secretly desire to be Reza, by any chance?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

bahaism is, or atleast, was a part of Islam for some time. Its just another stream Shia Islam, the teachings about the Bab etc. And the reason Bahaism will never convert Muslims is because Bahaullah claimed divinity for himself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Trust me, Iraqis dont trust anyone nowadays

All the demonstrations in the world could not avert their mass slaughter

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Eh.....my point is, the things that are ruining tradition and society are the stupid concepts of libertarianism and immoral atheism.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Have you seen or read Betrayed?

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/03/26/070326fa_fact_packer

Don't mind Michael, he gets his knowledge of the ME from atheist Iranians.

Don't confuse him with unnecessary details.

So do you think these Iraqis will move away from the Ithanshara theology?

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Look, Reza and I definitely don't see eye to eye on many things. For example Reza erroneously thinks Jews are a race. Which is absurd - and so I told him. He also has all sorts of ideas about Jews. Like they have all this power. One day I said, God Damn Reza, if I knew Jews had so much sway I'd have converted back when I was a kid! He went blank for a moment

Then said, that's impossible Jews are a race. I said, so what I move here to AU and tell everyone I'm a Jew - the whole place is MINE! He seriously replied - they'd find out.

Haa - I was totally joking and he was so serious.

Another point.

I said the borders for Israel should be set as they are today.
    Reza said: Look mate, Israel is a cancer, they have to return to the boards of 1967 of there can not be peace.

Etc... etc... etc...

The main thing we agree on is atheism.

Michael

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Well - as an Adam. Anyway, there are a lot of Baha'i around Sydney. Nice people. They tried to convert me once

12. Kadark Banned Banned

Well now you're just completely fantasizing and saying whatever pops into your head. Iraqis love their religion, and they're never converting to anything else - with or without the evangelization from other faiths. They've had Islam for what, a little less than 1,400 years now? Trust me - Islam ain't going nowhere. In fact, it's bound to simply rise in numbers, just as it continuously has since its birth.

Your sample of 40 perturbed teenagers living in a misunderstood warzone is not very persuasive. Iraqis have all the freedom in the world to change their religion, just as they have in their illustrious past. There's a reason as to why they've remained Muslim.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Apparently even the Jews think they are a race.

Nd he's right that until very very recently (like after the formation of Israel), jews were born, not converted.

14. Kadark Banned Banned

Yeah, but I seriously hope Jews today know that the majority of them are direct descendents from Turkic Khazars, who themselves converted to Judaism. They are certainly not a race.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Jews follow matrilineal descent.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Not all of them do. Some people just convert. There are Chinese Jews.

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Kadark,

Come on Kadark, it's hardly safe to convert out of Islam.
    In some countries in the ME - it's even against the law.
    You know, the whole, if you are born Muslim then you're not allowed to convert to another faith thing.

Michael

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I've always considered that an attractive feature of the religion.

It's an example of what happens when conversion is not coerced -it's always been possible to convert to Judaism, it's just that without evangelical pressure of some kind people don't convert to religions like that very often.

I know three converts to Judaism - two women and one man. Nothing to do with Israel, btw.

19. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

2000 years ago Judaism was a proselytizing religion - upwards to 1 in 5 people were Jewish in the Roman empire. Hence Christianity.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's a good thing for Iraqi's to leave Islam. But it's good that they are being critical. They now know what it would be like to live under a Theocracy. Nothing like the "good old days" yadda yadda... so maybe they'll work towards a secular democracy?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Probably, but from what I have heard, it depends on who is sponsoring you and that in itself is a major issue.

Also, conversion to Judaism is irreversible.

Thats interesting. Which province are they from?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008