Young Potential Scientists

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by TrueCreation, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The more I know the less I understand.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mickyhowells Registered Member

No need to be modest.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. !R.RAMJET.X! Registered Member

I'm 17 years old and i have a fond interest in science as well, otherwise, i wouldnt be posting here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. I'm more interested in astronomy, the cosmos and relativity stuff. Also in the future of mankind, technologies and our ultimate fate.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TrueCreation Registered Senior Member

--Excellent, keep up your studies and consider the OYSI!

Cheers,
    -Chris Grose
    Geoscience (and until further notice, mind you, Cosmology) Editor
    Organization for Young Scientists Inquiry
    http://www.oysi.promisoft.net

8. mickyhowells Registered Member

Im 15, and i have the same interests in science that ramjet has. Although im into paranormal a bit, and philosophy (not really science)

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm feeling really old now! I got into sciforum after I retired, I mean graduated HS.

10. superfreak Registered Member

yeah I feel old The little like 2nd graders type things and are using new comps. Heck, I remember the old apples. the only game was 'number crunchers' ahh..the good old days..and Im way younger than you so you must feel old. but hey thats okay . I remember our first home computer. it was a packard bell. no cd rom. then i remember I was nine when we got our first internet set up. well good memories.............

11. mickyhowells Registered Member

hmm that sounds like me super, i grew up with those.

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

HA! I had a Apple 2 when I was a kid!

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

My dads a computer programmer and I just asked him what the first computer we had when I was little and he says it was an IBM XT 808 processor or something.
    I remember playing a game called "moonbuggies" on it

I am not exactly interested in "science" as much as I am specifically interested in animal behaviour and evolution. Do I absolutely HAVE TO study genetics to get into that stuff?
    That kind of sucks if I do, I find learning about things I'm not interested in absolutely impossible

14. TrueCreation Registered Senior Member

--animal behaviour and evolution are most assuredly scientific topics. You don't have to study genetics for you to be considered as a person with scientific interest. Evolution is a great scientific topic(my favourite, in the general scheme of things). I have recently ordered and received The Structure of Evolutionary Theory by S.J. Gould so I think I might find myself reading that soon. Of course I have a mountain of books on the geosciences which I have more interest in, but if you are very interested in the study of evolution (apparently, you are talking biological evolutionary theory) that certainly is a science.

Cheers,
    -Chris Grose
    Geoscience Editor
    Organization for Young Scientists Inquiry
    http://www.oysi.promisoft.net

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You'll probably have to take a class on evolution and/or genetics in college if you major in biology, but other than that, no. It will probably just be one of the many, many classes you have to take even though you aren't very interested in the subject.

16. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

yeah well I can't do those classes. I can't physically make myself.
    I guess I'll just have to be a janitor

17. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

You usually do a good bit of biology, and specifically genetics in biology even if you're NOT a bio major. I'm Comp Sci graduting in a year and I've taken plenty of classes that dont pertain to my major. Thats what University is for...to get a variety of different things under your belt. If thats not what you want, go to a tech or trade school. Its no less respectable...just different.

-AntonK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.