Your favourite SF book, movie and music.

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by kazbadan, Oct 7, 2005.

1. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

mine is msotl ikkly between 3 books, one is kingdoms of the wall by robert silvenburg,another is enders game by orson scott card, and finally enders shadow by orson scott card ( a paralell to enders game)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Movie: Kim Possible: So The Drama
    Book: Any Dune book
    Music: Most game theme-songs and Battle-music. (Particularly Sacrifice: Battle 4 and Red Alert 2: Hell March)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

That's scifi?
    Nevertheless, it was a good film, a fitting ending to a fairly good show.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Book: "The Player of Games", by Iain M Banks.

Movie: "Blade Runner".

'Nuff said.

8. mars13 give me liberty Registered Senior Member

kim possible?

what are you,12 years old?

and Jon Varley is the best scifi writer of the 20th century.

9. kjun Registered Member

Book: Martian Time Slip - Philip K Dick

Movie: Cube

Music: The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I'd like to change my vote for the music.

The soundtrack to the DooM movie is phenominal. I can't stop listening to it. A brilliant industrial score.

11. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Hmmm... good point, it isn't really sci-fi is it?

Change it to Stargate

12. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Book: Interview with the vampire - if you count that as scifi

Movie: Space balls

Music: Reggea, alterntive, metal-the newer metal not that def leaperd stuff- never heard of scifi music

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Well...actually...doesn't it involve time travel, and etc? IIRC, a lot of episodes involve quasi-futuristic technology or near-future tech (advanced and perfected gene-splicing and cloning, laser weaponry, memory-switching, etc.)
    It falls under the category of a science-fiction/teen-dramedy combonation thingy, I guess...
    Good show, though, quite subtle and witty.

14. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I just have to keep this post going, as it's the only recently active one here in the supposed SciFi area that even remotely approaches upon being relevant (as opposed to childish inane Star Trek versus Star Wars masturbatory threads..).

I've just recently finished reading "Singularity Sky" by Charles Stross and would have to say that it's highly recommended. Kind of hard sci-fi meets cloak and dagger meets Douglas Adams.

Cool stuff.

15. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

You have to like it too. Since you sound like the stereotypical 13 year old and all.

For Hard sci-fi thats current, I would recommend the current four-logy by Alastair Reynolds... Starts with Chasm City, then Revelation Space, then Redemption Ark, then Absolution Gap.

I'm getting Century Rain soon to read, and the two short storys "Diamond dogs and Turquoise Days" were pretty good as well.

He is something like that guy from Polland whose name I can never remember.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  16. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Yeah. I read Chasm City, and it was a decent read for sure. My problem with Reynolds is his publisher: his books are all odd sized, blocky, poorly-bound things. At least, they are over here in Canada. Sadly, this is enough to stop me from purchasing the rest.

I believe the Polish writer you're referring to is Stanislaw Lem.

17. Anomalous Banned Banned

The Time Machine​

18. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Actually I think its Pohl something or Something Pohl.

Thats wierd about the books. I have them all in paperback, and theyre regular sized. I've read some of them in hardcover from the library... they seemed normal too. Maybe its the thickness?

19. Firefly Registered Senior Member

My favourite scifi book is probably Galaxies Like Grains of Sand by Brian Aldiss. The way that guy writes and the plots amazed me. Though that book is actually a collection of short stories.

Fave SF movie is either Equilibrium or Stargate, although I'm sure I've seen many others that compare closely. Oh, when I watched Chronicles of Riddick I was blown away, but that was a few years ago now.

I don't really listen to much SF music. I did download the Equilibrium soundtrack, but it seemed too ... soundtracky, like just litle bits of music that didn't really amount to anything. So I deleted it.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Book: Code of the Lifemaker by James P. Hogan

Movie: "The Dark Crystal"

Music: Holst's "The Planets" on synthesizers by Isao Tomita

21. draqon Banned Banned

Book: Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem

Movie: Solaris (the first version)

Music: hmm.....Holst's planets sound nice...anything in that manner will do

in fact...I love all the books written by Lem...read all of them...

22. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

By Asimov: The Gods Themselves & The Foundation Trilogy.

The Gods Themselves is a delightful story which starts with an aged almost senile scientific genius at the end of his life, who accidently discovers a process which produces unlimited energy at almost no cost, solving most of mankinds's problems.

A briliant young genuis realizes that using the process will cause the sun to go nova in 5-10 years. Nobody is willing to stop using the process. Some do not understand what the young genius is talking about. Some are so motivated by the current benefits that they are unwilling to think about the future consequences. many infuenctial scientists consider the old scientist the authority on the process. He is basking in the limelight of being the one responible for ending poverty and starting mankind on the course to a wonderful future. he is unwilling and unable to under=stand what the young genius is talking about.

This novel provides an accurate view of the true nature of a politician. In one scene a powerful politician tells the young genuis the following.
    • You are wasting your time. If I propose the legislation you are advocating, I will lose the next election. If I lose that election, I do not care if the Earth is destroyed in 5-10 years.
    Ponder that statement.

23. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I think your summary of that book leaves a lot to be desired.