Your internal thought mechanism?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Jun 6, 2005.

?

To which group do you belong?

1. I am aware of visual images related to my thoughts.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am aware of words related to my thoughts.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. I am aware of neither images nor words when I think.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I fit into more than one of the above categories..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I fit into none of the above categories.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The article you read was nonsense.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Twenty or more years ago, I read an article which claimed that people could be put into three categories based on internal mechanisms used while thinking.
    • People in group A claimed to be aware of visual images related to their thoughts. For example: When such people thought about calender related concepts, they had an image of an irregular closed curve with various mental pictures indicating seasons or months of the year at various places along the curve.

Many in this group were artists or sculptors, but many artists and sculptors were not included in this group.

• People in group B claimed to be aware of words in their natural language related to their thoughts. Many in this group were writers or journalists, but many writers and journalists were not included in this group.

• People in group C could not describe any internal process related to their thoughts. The author claimed that such people have some very abstract set of symbols used when thinking. Since the internal symbols are neither words nor visual images, the people in this group have no way of describing any process associated with their thoughts.

I happen to belong to this group which tends to include mathematicians, scientists, programmers, and other technical types, although many in this group are not technical types.
    To which category do you belong?

BTW: I am surprised that I dream in color with detailed visual images, since I cannot create a visual image of anything when I am awake.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

This is confusing

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I would think that group C also includes musicians. We have our own symbology that is neither visual nor verbal, and it's been codified.

Your model leaves out a whole lot of people, dude. Where's the rest of humanity?