Your morality vs society's morality

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

What decides which is more applicable? There are some groups that believe that boys and girls should be circumcised. Where I live, neither is, generally. It's viewed by most of my community members as am unnecessary barbaric procedure. If a parent moves into the community who thinks differently, should they just impose this judgement on their own children and stay quiet? Should they seek to enlighten the community and seek equity of views? This is just an example, of course. I have far more grandiose thoughts about examples than this.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The society in which one lives decides those things. If people didn't think they were correct then the people wold rise up and change the way things are going.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Most people decide for themselves what is moral.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Sometimes, yes, the individual is right and the society is wrong, as in your example of circumcision. I don't care how many people think that is okay, no one has the right to mutilate a child.

8. John99 Banned Banned

I dont like hugging or kissing my neighbors and dont think i ever did.

9. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

What decides which is more applicable?

The power of the majority. The majority will be unhappy and restless living under rules and morals they don't believe are correct. A country may run by a monarch or dictator and obey their personal morality, but autocratic governments can be overthrown. It is just easier for a government and more logical.

10. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

I believe in dual moralities. I have morals within my head that i do not display in public because people may object to these, however in an isolated situation where an "established society" was not involved, I would revert to my own morals. As a result I conform to what I refer to "societies morals," I believe this morality is made up of the most common morals that individuals share and are confident enough to display and thus affect "Societies Morality."

thats a bit of a messy paragraph, just ask me to explain it better if you dont quite understand

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

If I wholeheartedly disagreed with something that society was doing I probably wouldn't do it or do what I thought was right anyway. Even if my own well- being was at stake. I'm a quiet protester like that.

12. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

Well thats very brave of you, however i think its fair to say that a large proportion of society are 'sheep'

13. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Just because a group of people believe the exact same thing does not make them sheep. Keep this in mind.

14. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

My point is that most people will be prepared oppress their own morals if society would reject them. Those that dont tend up being outcasts or criminals. I didnt mean sheep in a derogatory way its just the scope of readers on this forums is large and so I try to keep it as laymans as possible so that everyone can understand

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Then the outcasts are in the wrong society and should move. Pretty simple.

16. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

What if there is no where to move, because its wide spread or there aren't enough like you to form a new society?

17. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Then they conform

18. epiman Banned Banned

One important moral issue now is abortion. Personally I am completely against it.

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I'm sort of split on it, however if it were up to me I'd keep it legal but we should try to cut down on its use as much as possible, only in extreme circumstances

20. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

That is what most pro-choicers believe, yet you used to think the idea too liberal.

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Society outnumbers you. If you really believe in your morals, you will find some way to subvert them.
    Most peoples morals are usually in line with the society they've been brought up in.

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

:thumbsup:
    The more posts I read of yours, the more I see how much alike we are.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

Lol. Of course, the good old ego telling you that if your society told you not to do something you felt you should do then you would do it. Classic.
    It is rare that people have such bravery, I doubt that 2 of them exist here within this small forum.