Your name-and why!

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Pollux V, Dec 17, 2001.

1. mis-t-highs I'm filling up Registered Senior Member

I'm tina highs, hence mis t highs, misty eyes, nothing special is it.

I've been nicknamed misty since I was little, one of my friends picked up on it when the teacher called out miss t smith.

I much prefer my surname now, though I do get the odd joke or two.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2004
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tezcatlipoca's Hat Used Registrar Registered Senior Member

I chose my name because it has some cultural cache for me, as well as vague 80's-band flavor. "This week at Riverscape - The Stray Cats, with special guest Tezcatlipoca's Hat!"

Whenever I get a litte bummed (which, given the state of our planet and the seemingly unstoppable procreation of morons, is quite often), I like to pretend the sun god of my ancestors has given me his hat, and thus my disposition becomes sunny and warm, bringing peace to earth, sight to the blind and talent to Paulie Shore.

Well, maybe not that last one. That'd take a REAL miracle.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Halcyon Guest

Halcyon because when I was a teenager I had a pretty emotional dream in which a friend of mine called me "Halcyon," and it stuck over the years. Wouldn't have appeared in a dream if I hadn't already learned it and attached some meaningful significance to the word/idea, but whatever that significance was has been lost. Simple coincidence that Halcyon by Orbital became my favorite song a few years later.

Humani Nil A Me Alienum Puto = Latin for "Nothing Human is alien to me." It's philosophy lies in my head more as unsymbolized thought/ideas and I've never had the knack for explaining it; from my perspective at least.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Existenz Registered Member

Existenz. Heard they were making a movie by that name in 6 or 7th grade and I've used it on most stuff since. Finally saw the movie a few years later and it was a little weird.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I like the movie much.

9. seamaid Registered Member

seamaid? I am moved by the fairy tale of Andersen, and wish everyone can get what he or she wants. the fairy tales of Andersen is not for children, but for all people.
    Just consider "she walks as on the kinfe-edge, losses her voice forever to persue her love."
    Best wishes for the kind.

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Welcome to SciForums, seamaid (I'll refrain from putting a capital S on your name, if that's the way you like it!)

Are you talking about the original Little Mermaid story? I fear that my knowledge of fairy tales is incomplete.

@ Dunya: strange to join only for the sake of inventing a name! I hope we'll hear from you again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. seamaid Registered Member

Thank you very much for you welcome.you are right, it is that fairy tale.

although most final of fairy tales are nice,like the sleeping beauty ,snow white and so on . this one is an exceptiion . maybe the cothurnus presents the goodness ,beauty, and love better.I can never forget the tale since the first time i read it .

are you satisfied with my explanation?

hope to keep in touch with you .

12. seamaid Registered Member

in addition, the name of fairy tale was translated into daughter of the sea, a good tanslation, isn't it ?

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Lori is my real name. 7 cause there was already a Lori, and 7 is god's number.

So I guess that means that I have absolutely no imagination or creativity, and that I love God and want to be associated with Him.

You know what I would love to know is what Porfiry means...

14. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

isnt it some sort of dessert? ive always wondered myself....

15. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yeah, wondered about that too. I only know Porfiry as a normal name, from eastern Europe.

Otherwise, I can only think of Porfyry, who was a (greek?) philosopher.

16. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

was he? very well.
    maybe it has something to do with the avatar... but now i have forgotten what it was...
    dam.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Porphyry is a type of loose rock. Very dangerous to miners. Caused many deaths throughout the years. I learned about it from King's Desperation. Tak!

Hmmm. Here's a web definition: any igneous rock with crystals embedded in a finer groundmass of minerals.

Doesn't mention the shattered, flaky nature of it at all. Wonder if I'm mixing terms here.

18. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

well thats new to me. cant see why it would be chosen as a name either....

btw... nice avatar invert.... what happened to mr. puncher?

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Bored with it. Too distracting. I'm more of an ominous sort (in my mind) so this avatar fits me better, I think. Check out the avatar thread to see where I got the original picture from. I had to alter it some to make it worthy of an avatar.

20. Gondorle Registered Member

I have this nickname for quite a long time now and it doesn't mean anything special. I remember that I wanted a nice nick to play Ultima Online and I wanted a LOTR related nick but hey, I wanted a nick that couldn't be considered a "copy" so Gondor ( the city ) and I added "rle" ..that's it

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

Hmm..I didn't know that Porfiry was a normal name in Europe. But there is a band that has that name...that has it's origins close to where I live. Um...philosopher, dust, or dessert...I think I'll take the dessert...yum, yum.

22. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

The name that the human body I'm controling is Chris Brackner, but my name throughout the rest of the Universes is Myuu.

23. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

In a sense, we are all children of the sea if you go back far enough. Given the controversial aquatic ape theory of human evolution: perhaps the myths and tales about mermaids are based on some instinctive connection our subconscious has to a marine lifestyle.

I prefer to agree with Moby, that "we are all made of stars" - another reason for my username.