Your Own Vocabulary

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by tresbien, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat - Response

Mod Hat — Response

It is my understanding that a one-day ban was issued for preaching, propaganda, and the posting of large copy-and-pasted sections from other sites. I can confirm at least one warning was issued, and am informed that "several" were given by multiple (at least three) moderators.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The existence of that question, and the difficulty it indicates, do not invalidate the approach.

Justice is not mechanically fixed, but guided, by rules: there are (in a good, useful system) for example, hierarchies of the "declared rules", and matters of uncertainty at one level are referred to the next "higher", or "more general", or "more vague", as often may be.

There is no replacement for human judgment and decision. As the phrase was: "twelve good men and true".

Now:
    At what level would that be the "declared rule" ? If there is conflict among the declared rules themselves, either there is no declared rule that can support fidelity (and thus no possiblity of legal justice) or there is a (next level) declared rule for choosing which. If every declared rule in the whole system firmly supported such a "treason" judgment, then that would in fact be legal justice. Then lawyers will not help - one needs Ghandis.

As you note, legal justice - however important - is a subsidiary of larger matters. But I was confining myself to "legal". IMHO that in itself is a great goal, imperfectly attained, for any human civilization.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

• 1. Trolling: Posting religious propaganda uncritically on the science boards.
    • 2. Cut-and-pasting: Copying large blocks of text from other websites.
    I think it's just temporary. And no, I was not the one who banned him.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tresbien Banned Banned

i was banned because i am muslim and isuggets some useful links that explain the misconception about islam.I wish that they would activate the link of theprophet Mohamed and do not delete what i writen.If i pasted them because they reflect my opinions and attitudes

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

You can express your opinions and attitudes in your own words and you can quote other people's writings, as an example or to make a point to your original thoughts, but do not copy and paste whole blocks of somebody else's whatever, because nobody is interested, and also, the mods don't like it.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There are several Muslims around here who often suggest good links about Islam, and have not been banned.

You have been spamming this site with long blocks of stuff you cut and paste from somewhere.

It's rude.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Then why not serve the conviction of your faith in Mohammed and Allah by writing your own material and summaries? Is your faith with the tongue only, tresbien? Is it the easy way? Have you no steadfastness? Or do you strive hard in the sight of Him as befits a proper believer?

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think i would define it as "do unto others as you would have done to you". kind of a karma type of thing. with that said, i think that our judicial system and prisons are not for the purposes of justice, but for a way to punish and control society. i've been a part of that system and i can attest to the fact that it's definitely not about justice or the concern for anyone's welfare. it's like just about anything else in this world...and is all about money and power.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The words of the few affect the many. Justice comes from every country that there is on Earth. Each country has their own way of dealing with justice. What could be right in one place could be wrong in another. Beware when traveling for there are laws out there that could imprison you even if you don't even know they exist.