Zero Gravity inside the atmosphere?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Don Quixote, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Quixote Registered Member

"Zero Gravity Flight

The closest you can get to experiencing what it's like to be an astronaut without leaving the atmosphere. Float weightless for up to 30 seconds at a time on board a modified Boeing 727 airliner.

Rated 4.46
    Price $2,950.00 (Approx:£1,603)"

wouldn't this be fun to do.

Personally i think it would freak me out.

I have a question relating to it though. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pilpaX amateur-science.com Registered Senior Member

its not zero gravity, it just feels like it.
    just like satelites and other stuff orbiting earth are actually just falling

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trilobyte Registered Senior Member

You seem weightless because the plane follows the same falling path as you (not exactly though since there is vertical drag on the plane and not on you, so eventually you will progress down to the bottom of the plane interior.) So there is no difference (or very little difference) in the acceleration of you and the plane around you, and so you appear weightless inside.

The actual plane travels on a kind of parabolic (arch-shaped) trajectory (but less steep on the climb stage than the freefall stage).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Light Registered Senior Member

You've already received the correct answer but I wanted to add one thing. I have a good friend at NASA and they call that plane the "Vomit Comet." I'll bet you can guess why!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.