Zero Tolerance Week

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by James R, Apr 8, 2009.

?

What do you think of Zero Tolerance Week?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2009.
  1. Love it!

35.5%
  2. Hate it!

25.8%
  3. Ambivalent about it!

19.4%
  4. Don't know / don't care / would rather not say

19.4%
  1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so a person could complain and complain about draqon and scott3x being trolls and they would be banned??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Spot on.

There's been an awful lot of whinging going on lately. Effectively: "He disagrees with me, so I demand he be banned!" or "I don't like her, and she reacted to my baiting her with an insult directed back at me, so she should be banned!"

So, for zero tolerance week, if you're going to complain about somebody else, make sure you're squeaky clean yourself, and have a justifiable complaint, not just a whinge.

I'm finding some of the complaints more annoying than the posts they are complaining about.

If you aren't aware of what is and isn't acceptable by now, SAM, there's something seriously wrong.

See the note about frivolous or vexatious complaints.

It has been announced in about as loud a manner as possible.

It is the job of moderators and administrators to apply their initiative to making the forum a better place. This means being proactive and not just reactive.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Anyone consider an open complaint thread?

Let them fight it out.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

We could start a "Fight club" subforum...

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I wonder how many would word their complaints differently if they had to do it openly.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh Jesus God yes pleeeeeeeeeeeease. A SciForum Death Match would be awesome!

10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Oh I don't doubt you're inundated with them anyway, but wouldn't this encourage more of them if people believe they could get a forum enemy banned? I suppose it could go either way really depending on how ballsy the members are.
    What if someone is genuinely offended, perhaps easily so but nonetheless offended?
    As we already tend to be aware of who the whiners are(certainly the mods are at least) I guess I don't see what exactly is to be gained from this.:shrug:

Well for one thing not everyone reads the stickys at the top of forums. I realise there isn't really a lot more you can do to communicate this implementation to members(except perhaps making it more visible to catch attention) but a number of them will not notice.
    More importantly is that, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this; whenever I come online I refresh the "new posts" section, and if it's not in there it's missed. The only reason I'm aware of this exercise is being on at the right time to find this thread.

Understandable, but this sounds like the worst of a bad set of ideas, but we shall see.
    I'd also like an answer about if mods are immune to the banning? Obviously it wouldn't be fair to exclude them if they do something worthy of a report but likewise without the mods the forum would be chaos.
    Be careful you don't push the nazi mod tag too far.

11. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

We could, but we wouldn't be allowed to talk about it.

12. Gustav Banned Banned

poor dumbfucksci
    such unseemly desperation

/snicker

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

For what purpose would they conduct a social experiment ?
    Are they taking notes then ?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The easiest way to show people what they want is by giving it to them.

15. draqon Banned Banned

Promoting violence by none other than a super-moderator?

What a disgrace! No I object to such a plan.

16. Gustav Banned Banned

Thou mountain of mad flesh!
    You should be woman, and yet your noodle forbid me to interpret that you are so.

Ja
    Thou art not so big as a round little worm.

17. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Why? It sounds like great fun! We could even award symbolic belts or trophies. All hail to the ScifForums smack-down champion!

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Have you laid eyes on his noodle ?

19. Gustav Banned Banned

so ah....
    why not open up sfog for "frivolous" complaints and "ludicrous" ban proposals again?
    eh?
    why do the rerun underground?

proactive?
    fuck that shit
    just trash all but the most pressing

trust me
    the sky will not fall

ja
    sci don need no stinkin sky daddies or nazi mods to hold her hand

20. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

****** eh right, Gustav. But "some" members seem to differ. Let's ban those members, and get on with the serious fun.

Or maybe we could open a subform entitled "For the thin skinned only".

A few proposed rules for this forum:
    1. Absolutely no dissenting or opinionated posts allowed.
    2. No words that might offend anyone at anytime in any fashion permitted.
    3. Every post must be reported by at least one member.
    4. Any post that is reported, spurious or not, must be deleted.
    5. Anyone failing to report a post will be perma banned.

Oh, wait, that would mean the forum would remain blank, wouldn't it? Oh well, at least we wouldn't ruffle anyone's feathers that way.

21. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

A taste of the whiners' own medicine is a fine idea.

22. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Why don't you just ban the people who are so incensed about having to put up with the insults and percieved slights on their person. It sounds to me like a very select few have sand in their vaginas and should really just be put out of their misery since they'll never really be happy anyway. Seems unfair to punish the rest of us because a select few are pansies.

Maybe they should grow up and learn to fight their own battles. It's a fucking computer... if it upsets you have much, walk away. No one is forcing you to be here, it's not a school bully situation... if you can't help yourself or are obsessed, maybe you need to have the drug that harms you so badly taken away from you.

I'm sick of the whiners too, but this is ridiculous. They should just grow a fucking pair. It's gone way too far.

Besides which... complaining on open forums about moderators and moderator actions was never tolerated and a bannable offense before... how about we institute that one rule again? Hmm? Sounds more logical to me than stifling everyone else because a few select people think we should stop using red ink, and never hand out failing grades. Ugh. Don't coddle them.

23. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

From here; http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1761621&postcount=2

Seriously, just ban the person who can't seem to take care of himself or follow simple guidelines instead of allowing him to try to make all of your jobs harder. This isn't a democracy, it's not owned by them... It's dumb that we want to change this because of one or two people... I'm surprised you are even suggesting it. Know what happens to the person at work that is always negative, doesn't listen and obsesses about their own opinion all the time? They end up fired. Perhaps we should try that for a week and see if it fixes the problem instead.