Zimbabwe is sinking.

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Jerrek, May 31, 2003.

1. Jerrek Registered Senior Member

http://www.themercury.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=159971

Zim war vets arm ahead of street protests

I don't know what Mugabe is trying to do, but he is sinking the country. Fast.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Pity they don't have oil or wasps, their problems would be solved in a month if they did.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It looks like it's going to get bad there, very fast - and still won't have caught up with the DRC even when it hits it's nadir

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Companion topic

From Africa to Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe has been a tough topic here. I hope it gets some attention this time around.

:m:,
    Tiassa

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. aghart Registered Senior Member

The British Commonwealth should intervene using military force and bring this to an end.

8. nico Banned Banned

It's a shame to see Zimbabwe's current state, once known as the bread basket of Africa. And it used to grow under the name (Rhodesia) the country is now only a shadow of it's former self.

9. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

aghart,
    The biggest thing the Commonwealth ever did to Zimbabwe was to chuck them out of the Commonwealth for a year - what makes you think that they'd bother going in there with force to ensure a fair election?

10. aghart Registered Senior Member

They wouldn't that's the problem. I suppose the point I was trying to make which you hinted at sparks was that here was or is a classic example of a situation when external involvement ( this includes military intervention) is " what is needed and is the right thing".

The talk has been all about Iraq and " is the war justified" when a military intervention aimed at getting rid of Mugabwe is clearly what is required.

problem is of course it would be seized upon by many as the "white colonial British" reconqering part of their lost empire.

11. EI_Sparks Registered Senior Member

Hold up there just a moment aghart - I did not say "go in with military force and get rid of Mugabe" - I said "going in there with force to ensure a fair election". There's a big difference, and therein lie the problems associated with the whole empire argument.

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

We could always flood the country with observers and give them bodyguards. But as the record of several other african countries shows, they dont really need armed intervention by their neighbours, that only encourages corruption and resource theft. And it is obvious that us british going back in again would be more colonial in how it looks, so is to be encouraged. Yet within the country, there is an opposition, lots of people willing to vote against Mugabe, and re-do things, the only problem is getting them out on the streets. What it all needs is publicity, and means of preventing violence. for starters all arms imports should have been stopped ages ago. Possibly a UN force might be needed, Zimbabwe looks to have better cohesion as a country than Kosovo or Bosnia, so getting things back to normal afterwards might be easier.
    And it might be time to look at our colonial legacy, which I for one am ashamed of. Any benefits by educating etc people have been nullified by events during and after colonialism.