Zorbix to the Rescue!!

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by invert_nexus, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Now. I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy soaking in a piping hot tub, relaxing, and reading a book. On occasion (although the last was many years ago) an accident occurs while manipulating the book one-handed (especially with larger books) and SPLASH! the book falls in the tub and rapidly absorbs water.

Needless to say this utterly ruins the intent of the relaxing nature of the bath and much time is spent afterwards attempting to dry the book in the most efficient way possible.

This has several problems.

1.) It takes time. Especially in humid environments. During the dry-out period, the book can't be read... Frustrating.

2.) The book is never quite the same. I believe that there are methods for drying out books which return them to some semblance of their former selves, but every book I've personally dried out has plumped up considerably, like relatives over Christmas vacation.

I'm sure there are more, but this suffices for my point.

Meet Zorbix:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/01/070102133800.htm
    This handy dandy super slurping substance has been used in everything from diapers to fuel filters. Now it will suck the water out of waterlogged books.

Ah. How I'd have loved to have this stuff back then.
    I wonder how much it would cost? Surely not cost prohibitive if it comes in diapers. The only new feature of this particular use of the molecule is the sheet design.

This innovation is liable to save many a great novel (and many a trashy one as well, I imagine) and for that I am grateful.

Thank you, Zorbix.
    I salute you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I can only imagine. Hah!

In all honesty though. Books are cheap, especially if you get them on Amazon. I can hardly imagine a book ever being the same after being dropped in a bath tub/toilet/fishing reservoir--even after using this stuff. I mean, come on! That shit's permanent. Plus, imagine all the putrid filth that will linger after it's had a plunge in a toilet. Just get a new book. Paperback. And be more careful next time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I'm curious. Do you imagine me wearing my top hat as I read in the tub?

That's what they said about Huck Finn.

Believe it or not, some books are irreplaceable.
    Of course, perhaps one shouldn't read irreplaceable books in the bathtub, but humans are quirky creatures. It is our foibles which make us interesting.

Well, to be honest, I have mastered the art of one-handed page turning to such an extent that this horrible event no longer mars my bathing experience. As I said, it has been many years since the last incident. And this was prior to the rise of the internet, and also prior to my time as a productive citizen (read: I was a broke-ass motherfucker.)

However, although books are perhaps to be labeled as 'cheap', I prefer to view them as valuable. I would vastly prefer to salvage than merely to give in to a throw-away culture which despises such thrift.

With that said, the true market for the product is for book collections that have been damaged due to leaky pipes, storm damage, etc... In cases such as this, just shopping for more books is not really the viable option it could be in the case of individually damaged books.

I just thought to add a personal touch to this thread with my own personal anecdote and the reason why this particular article touched me.

8. Farsight

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I assume this derives from the one-handed aspect?
    Simply explained.
    One hand is wet and thus is not generally used to turn pages.

I have read magazines in the tub from time to time, never playboy though. Science is my usual read. Scientific American from time to time, but I usually just download it rather than buy it.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Is this substance a carcinogenic?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.