25% Mail Quote Remaining - Outlook issue

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by wegs, May 1, 2019.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

lol
    the email full notification warning is a setting
    IT set it to a certain level
    it has a default setting

if your working for a large company they will customize their own (re-write the software)coding to adjust it as required and simply re-write programs to adjust it to be custom designed for the specific needs of that business.

deleting your sync folder contents is not a clever idea
    its not smart either
    cut n paste all your emails out into a zip file on the server would be a god idea, have IT check and re set all folder limits and user limits and warning

have IT clean your system file back ups and caching.

folder size limit warnings..
    Vs email server admin limits set for group-users/class-users
    vs various different email versions and different server versions...

sounds like your trying to knit a Christmas jumper by swinging at a Pinata

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"hi, we are IT we are fixing your Server, please give us your bank account details & credit cards we will fix those next"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

How you ever posted anything that wasn't completely horseshit?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

you must be working for wegs IT department

you are such a troll
    you have come un glued
    your months long attempt to promote your ego in competition to me is pathetic
    you have the ego of a young teenage child

i have you on ignore but was curious if you had stopped being such an ass hole
    doesn't look like it
    old dog new tricks i guess

i shall leave you to your self imposed misery
    good luck with that

fyi
    about 1.5 years back when you got all dog n barky butt hurt because i started chatting on the boards in wegs threads ..
    i noticed
    bit creepy though
    i thought it was kinda cute of you
    but now its just creepy

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Antisocial personality disorder
    Disjointed communication affectation
    Humor deficit disorder

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/mailbox-size-and-exchange-quota

Verses

https://products.office.com/en-us/exchange/email

outlook exchange 365 for businesses to run outlook as a server.

https://support.sherweb.com/Faqs/Show/how-to-check-the-size-of-an-exchange-mailbox-in-outlook
    in theory the company should be paying for a license to operate outlook on their server, as a mail server
    but they may not be
    they might be trying to dodge that
    that would be occam's razor for why they cant solve it, because someone has messed with the programming between authority's for mail box warning notification.

having personal professional experience with this very issue and personally discussing it with network architects/programmers working as managerial large multi national network programmer managers for software.

i kinda see where it might be going wrong

douche bags dictating the conversation doesn't help

9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Communicating isn't for everyone...

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Be of good cheer ...it’s the holiday season. Or spike some egg nog and pretend.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yay! It’s really fixed now. I allowed the head of IT to share my screen (he works in another office) and said that my Outlook was configured wrong - it was set up under IMAP but should’ve been POP.

He didn’t reconfigure that but provided a work around - created a sub folder for me to house old emails. We checked the total quota and it’s only using 11% now which is from my newer emails.

I’m so glad this is fixed now.

Seattle likes this.
  12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm surprised Rainbow wasn't able to pinpoint the problem but all that really matters is that it's now fixed!

wegs likes this.
  13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol
    Yesss!

What was troubling about it, was I started to get worried that maybe I was missing important client emails. Emails that bounce back don’t just resend again, automatically. The sender would have to resend it, and clients might not do that.

Okay let’s do this again - I’m freeee!

Seattle likes this.
  14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It's been roughly two weeks, and no more annoying emails alerting me that I'm reaching my quota. It's truly fixed.

Today marked my last day of work for 2019 ...off on vacation now. Life is good.

Seattle likes this.
  15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

depending on how IT service desk is run the 2nd time the same problem occured it should have been checked for configuration by a T2 level IT manager/tech
    when the 1st IT help desk person encountered the issue they should have checked for quota limit alert settings and total limit sizes, then checked for server configuration between the clients
    server version and user/staff desk-top version
    assuming they all matched up and were not conflicting
    then if it happened again
    simply un-installing it and re-installing it where in theory they may then encounter a double check on the pop verses imap

the local storage limit and server storage limit should have been checked first which would have shown if it was pop or imap
    double checking those with any new outlook server updates.

what we dont know is why it suddenly started
    the reason for that is either they had no maintenance set up or they introduced limits to reduce server space for useless data being stored.

unfortunately some help desks are run off shore where the person answering the call may just be reading from a script
    they employ people who get paid the least to drive a profit and training in problem resolution is not as important as being able to follow a script.

now with AI being developed to do the problem solving for people ...
    because training budgets have been massively cut ?
    its a bit of a race to the bottom in my opinion but that seems to be the trend these days

16. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

where one would think pop/imap would be checked

did they introduce new limits to free up server space ?
    they should have written a talk through script for their help desk staff to check pop/imap settings
    including talk through for staff to move and/or delete their achieved emails

added to a general email of cleaning up large unused files with a file size alert on the server identifying large files on each user and sending an alert.

when your IT service is outsourced then you have competing profit margins with tickets being closed to make profit.
    while ownership may well be seen as a core aspect of over all management, translating that into a process where it delivers a cost saving to the business is where the real money on larger companys is lost
    medium sized companys are probably punishing themselves by paying someone else to half fix a problem several times just so they can sack a couple of full time positions

what is lost is customer confidence in the company brand

it is a counter intuitive aspect to conservative business investment ideology
    sometimes less is not more

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Regretfully, bumping this thread.

Well, I’ve started receiving these messages again. No messages for about four months, then recently, the warnings began again.

My firm’s IT Dept helped with this, showed me how to manage this from happening again. I thought they were providing a cure, but maybe not.

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That's unfortunate. Does the number in the warning ever change? Does it ever say you only have 20% remaining? If not, maybe it's a false warning that you can just ignore?

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yes, the percentage was at 25% yesterday, and if I don’t literally delete mail (inbox or sent, doesn’t matter) then it goes down to 15%. The IT Dept created a folder for older emails that somehow was supposed to be used as an option to deleting emails. I’ve been moving mail there religiously but the 25% returns. I’m a hoarder with emails, I’ll admit but I just never know when I’ll need to use an email for proof of a client’s response or whatever so I don’t like discarding them.

20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Maybe you just need more folders? One for every month or something. Is this a small company? You'd think there would be virtually unlimited space for business email.

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hard to explain, but the head of IT got involved and he ''took over'' (when you give them access virtually) my computer and created a file. It wasn't a file I could create on my own, it required some type of wizardry.

22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Maybe some of the guys from the wizard sub-forums on here could help?

23. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Maybe you should just go on an email strike?

wegs likes this.