4th HED's Sciforums Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you think of say Undecided, he changed avatar amout a million times the last month all. Multipersonality disorter

You know you like it…

I still vote for Mr G as the one who most needs a sword thrust to the face.

And apart from that, i stand by my comments about people getting a little bored. And lets not forget that mere intellectualism is just a foppish diversion. I myself am part intellectual, part idealist, romantic, scientist and one or two other things, and so ultimately simple intellectual discussion is not my thing. In a place called sciforums one would like to think theres less place for it.

guthrie said:
And apart from that, i stand by my comments about people getting a little bored.

If one is bored, one should ask how this boredom came to be. Could it be that one wasn't interesting enough himself, and thus contributed to the general feeling of boredom?

I wish to avoid comments that I am being indirect [you know who you are].
I would just like to stress that complaining about being bored does not help one bit; and instead of complaining, one should rather roll up one's sleeves and contribute something interesting -- or not complain.

Also, becoming bored is a frequent natural consequence of being exposed to something for too long.

guthrie said:
And lets not forget that mere intellectualism is just a foppish diversion.

My, aren't we snobbbbish.

This is the internet: How visceral can one get with one's keyboard?!

guthrie said:
I myself am part intellectual, part idealist, romantic, scientist and one or two other things, and so ultimately simple intellectual discussion is not my thing. In a place called sciforums one would like to think theres less place for it.

So you want SF to be more like real life?
I can understand that. However, online, the physical contact is missing, therefore communication is bound to become "abstract".

RosaMagika said:
If one is bored, one should ask how this boredom came to be. Could it be that one wasn't interesting enough himself, and thus contributed to the general feeling of boredom?
When I feel bored, I dont post. From this, I find it hard to find how I contribute to the general feelings of boredom.

RosaMagika said:
I wish to avoid comments that I am being indirect [you know who you are].
I would just like to stress that complaining about being bored does not help one bit; and instead of complaining, one should rather roll up one's sleeves and contribute something interesting -- or not complain.
Indeed. You probably hav'nt noticed, but I hav'nt opened a thread saying "I'm bored, entertain me", rather I have suggested it as a reason as to why these hed awards are rather dull this time round.

RosaMagika said:
Also, becoming bored is a frequent natural consequence of being exposed to something for too long.
Precisely. Once youve watched some pro-gun people argue with some anti-gun people for the third time, (and its the same pople doing the arguing) you get a bit tired. Whats the point in arguing with someone when you have no chance of changing each others minds and you arent introducing any new arguments or techniques into the fray?

RosaMagika said:
My, aren't we snobbbbish.

This is the internet: How visceral can one get with one's keyboard?!
Do you mean in an intellectual or anti-intellectual way?
As for viscerality, just think with your guts.

RosaMagika said:
So you want SF to be more like real life?
I can understand that. However, online, the physical contact is missing, therefore communication is bound to become "abstract".
I dont want it to be more like real life, its just that the medium imposes certain limitations upon interactions here, as you say, and perhaps I havtn explained what i mean very well. I mean the kind of word play stuff that a lot of people do, that ends up arguing over words and definitions and ideas, without relating them to "reality" or any overall scheme/ plan.

guthrie said:
When I feel bored, I dont post. From this, I find it hard to find how I contribute to the general feelings of boredom.

These words of Henry James I take very much to heart : "You have no excuse for being bored anywhere." If I feel bored, I see myself as the party that needs to take some action, be it changing myself or trying to contribute to a more jolly atmosphere.

guthrie said:
Indeed. You probably hav'nt noticed, but I hav'nt opened a thread saying "I'm bored, entertain me", rather I have suggested it as a reason as to why these hed awards are rather dull this time round.

Well, then this board being a dull and boring place is to be considered a fact?

guthrie said:
"Also, becoming bored is a frequent natural consequence of being exposed to something for too long."

Precisely. Once youve watched some pro-gun people argue with some anti-gun people for the third time, (and its the same pople doing the arguing) you get a bit tired.

Hm. If I see that I am getting bored of something, and I know that boredom is a natural consequence of over-exposure, I *clean up on my part*. I don't blame others for not being "interesting enough".

guthrie said:
Whats the point in arguing with someone when you have no chance of changing each others minds

If this is your concern, then it would be good to ask yourself what it is that you want out of an argument.

guthrie said:
and you arent introducing any new arguments or techniques into the fray?

Well, then get some new arguments and techniques!

guthrie said:
"My, aren't we snobbbbish."

Do you mean in an intellectual or anti-intellectual way?

You've just reminded me: I suppose, yes, there must be different kinds of snobism. But, a snob is a snob, intellectual or anti-intellectual.

guthrie said:
As for viscerality, just think with your guts.

How visceral is it if I *type* "you fucking little mothafucker, why can't you understand what I've been telling you, you cunt" or "oh my most precious darling, this is just brilliant what you've just said, I love you for this" (this, only examples, nothing personal)??
These words have to come with the voice, the facial expressions, the gestures!! Reading them feels rather pathetic -- although a new culture is well under way ...

guthrie said:
I mean the kind of word play stuff that a lot of people do, that ends up arguing over words and definitions and ideas, without relating them to "reality" or any overall scheme/ plan.

Oh. You mean like giving in to the pleasures of debate?

RosaMagika said:
These words of Henry James I take very much to heart : "You have no excuse for being bored anywhere." If I feel bored, I see myself as the party that needs to take some action, be it changing myself or trying to contribute to a more jolly atmosphere.
Thats your opinion. I was being not bored elswhere, off the board. (look, i resisted the tempation to do a joke about bored and board, ok?)

RosaMagika said:
Well, then this board being a dull and boring place is to be considered a fact?
An opinion of various posters, related to their own views on what is interesting.

RosaMagika said:
Hm. If I see that I am getting bored of something, and I know that boredom is a natural consequence of over-exposure, I *clean up on my part*. I don't blame others for not being "interesting enough".
Have I blamed others? I suppose so. But if you measure something and it doesnt measure up, do you not then say "its too short."

RosaMagika said:
If this is your concern, then it would be good to ask yourself what it is that you want out of an argument.

RosaMagika said:
Well, then get some new arguments and techniques!
Its not actually possible in many of these arguments. All you can wait for is the next new study or bomb to be dropped or something. Techniques are just tools, and I prefer to let things stand for themselves.

RosaMagika said:
You've just reminded me: I suppose, yes, there must be different kinds of snobism. But, a snob is a snob, intellectual or anti-intellectual.
So your calling me a snob? Thats fighting talk around here.

RosaMagika said:
How visceral is it if I *type* "you fucking little mothafucker, why can't you understand what I've been telling you, you cunt" or "oh my most precious darling, this is just brilliant what you've just said, I love you for this" (this, only examples, nothing personal)??
These words have to come with the voice, the facial expressions, the gestures!! Reading them feels rather pathetic -- although a new culture is well under way ...
Not really visceral. It depends on how I react, and whether i feel rather bored that I've seen those words a million times before, and of course, I dont know what facial expressions go with them, since each person has their own individual ones. I dislike imagining them to go with a person i dont know. Whats this new culture?

RosaMagika said:
Oh. You mean like giving in to the pleasures of debate?
No. I find that boring. What i want is to arrive at some kind of tentative conclusion, not show off my rhetoric. Or share experience or suchlike. Mere debate reminds me too much of politics and stuff.

guthrie said:
(look, i resisted the tempation to do a joke about bored and board, ok?)

I dearly thank you for this, kind sir.

guthrie said:
Have I blamed others? I suppose so. But if you measure something and it doesnt measure up, do you not then say "its too short."

That entrely depends on what this thing that you are measuring should measure up to. So what is this thing you are measuring up to?

guthrie said:
Its not actually possible in many of these arguments. All you can wait for is the next new study or bomb to be dropped or something.

Yes, that's sad. All we can do is sit and wait ... sit and wait for something to happen. And when the power runs out, we'll just hum ... type in vain, hoping there is some magic force out there who hears us.

guthrie said:
Techniques are just tools, and I prefer to let things stand for themselves.

Of course they are just tools. How many can you use? How many books on informal logic have you studied?

guthrie said:
So your calling me a snob? Thats fighting talk around here.

I didn't call you a snob. I said: "You've just reminded me: I suppose, yes, there must be different kinds of snobism. But, a snob is a snob, intellectual or anti-intellectual." Where does this say that I think that *you* are a snob?

guthrie said:
Whats this new culture?

Well, I don't know that much about it. But I do know that they are all very polite, decent, intelligent, educated. They are indeed a wonderful people.

guthrie said:
No. I find that boring. What i want is to arrive at some kind of tentative conclusion, not show off my rhetoric.

For that, there must be a purpose assigned to a thread, explicitly. As if it were a school-project.

RosaMagika said:
I dearly thank you for this, kind sir.
No problem.

RosaMagika said:
That entrely depends on what this thing that you are measuring should measure up to. So what is this thing you are measuring up to?
My own opinions and standards of debate etc. And what I feel I want to get out of it at the time. Not to mention the simple fact I've been so busy recently that arguments I might have jumped into with gusto just dont seem interesting.

RosaMagika said:
Yes, that's sad. All we can do is sit and wait ... sit and wait for something to happen. And when the power runs out, we'll just hum ... type in vain, hoping there is some magic force out there who hears us.
Indeed. All things come to he who waits. At least it gives time to put the kettle on, for those so minded.

RosaMagika said:
Of course they are just tools. How many can you use? How many books on informal logic have you studied?
WEll, in case you havnt noticed, some people look to me like confusing the tools with the argument. I think the fountainhed gets very close to that myself. I have yet to find any books on informal logic, having enough trouble getting the classic logic stuff.

RosaMagika said:
I didn't call you a snob. I said: "You've just reminded me: I suppose, yes, there must be different kinds of snobism. But, a snob is a snob, intellectual or anti-intellectual." Where does this say that I think that *you* are a snob?
Why bring it up if it isnt related to me?

RosaMagika said:
Well, I don't know that much about it. But I do know that they are all very polite, decent, intelligent, educated. They are indeed a wonderful people.
What I mean is, what is their new culture, whats it all about, got any links, etc, do you mean the culture formed around merely reading stuff on screen, or the use of smilies or what?

RosaMagika said:
For that, there must be a purpose assigned to a thread, explicitly. As if it were a school-project.
Mostly there is. At least in the areas I post in. I havnt argued with you much before, because our areas of interest dont overlap.

And, see how things have gotten more interesting, just because i complained that it was a bit boring in here?

yeah one lines suck, they leave little room for discussion

i think you point dont have a point, yes?

spuriousmonkey said:
Who is you really?
You are I

spuriousmonkey said:
Was it a question really
Yes it was

spuriousmonkey said:
or don't you believe in god at all?
Dont belive in god, put a message on his answering machine and he never phone back, that wanker?

the dude above said:
He must be a woman

shemale or Hermaphrodite?, anyway i find women are better at call back,

Last edited:
guthrie said:
Why bring it up if it isnt related to me?

True. How very stupid of me. I shall in all obey your wise advice, kind sir.

guthrie said:
What I mean is, what is their new culture, whats it all about, got any links, etc, do you mean the culture formed around merely reading stuff on screen, or the use of smilies or what?

Here's a link.

guthrie said:
Mostly there is. At least in the areas I post in. I havnt argued with you much before, because our areas of interest dont overlap.

Indeed, we haven't met before.

guthrie said:
And, see how things have gotten more interesting, just because i complained that it was a bit boring in here?

Yes, you are right. It is now soooo interesting.

RosaMagika said:
True. How very stupid of me. I shall in all obey your wise advice, kind sir.
PLease dont start going olde worlde on me.

RosaMagika said:
Ahhh, you mean this kind of online culture. Want to start a thread on it?

RosaMagika said:
Indeed, we haven't met before.
Hail fellow well met.

RosaMagika said:
Yes, you are right. It is now soooo interesting.
It must be since you are still posting, right?

OOhhhhhh.

Why don't you start a thread nominating the thousand and one reasons a lonely black boy has for annoying the shit of women here, asking for their pics? Filling their inbox with drunken gibberish?
Or the 345.522 reasons he has for posting up stupid award threads?

Take me off that fucking list and put Guthrie on, he's so interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back