A heated topic through logical examination.

nexusfruit

Registered Senior Member
Please put all of your ethical bias aside for one second. Try as hard as you can to see what I'm about to ask through objective eyes.

Why is it called the difference between pro-'LIFE', and pro-choice, when ..by logic...you can't kill something if it was ever born.

How can you throw someone out of a room..BEFORE they're even in it yet?
I suppose you could correlate it to being sad because someone never showed up. So the party was cancelled. But really...logic here folks.

please feel free to chew me up and spit me out.
I'm just toying with an idea here.

The problem with your argument is that you are assuming that life requires birth.

If a child is removed from the womb through surgery, it technically hasn't been born.
Does this mean I can shoot the person this child becomes 20 years later and not worry. After all, I haven't killed anyone, they weren't born.

What about plants? Most people would agree that plants are alive, yet as far as I know, a plant has never been 'born'. Birds don't give birth, technically, either.
nor do fish, insects, arachnids, reptiles, etc.

In fact, most things on this that are alive, have never been born. The term "pro-life" is an oversimplification of the issue. Individuals cells can either be alive or dead. No one protests when labs grow cultures, though.

The question that needs asking, and has in fact been asked repeated, is when does that embryo stop being a collection of cells and start being an actual organism.

Notice NF said:
"you can't kill something if it was ever born."

(and we can assume the the ever was a never fairly safely I think)
since NF never specified and since abortions/killings can occur on/to things other than humans, it's when it becomes an organism.
Besides, if we are dealing with human reproduction, then what other types of organisms would be the result of the process? Lobsters perhaps? Or maybe chipmunks?

While true the term organism can and does refer to any living thing, down to individual cells, I was refering to complex organisms. ( my apologies for the confusion.)
After all, I don't think anyone minds the loss of a few cells, or the death of the same.

IF you wish to resprict the argument to only humans, fine. The point still remains.
Asking when it becomes human only serves to make the issue even more gray.

Back