A House Cat Knows More Than The IBM Watson

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Steve Klinko, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Steve Klinko Registered Senior Member

You are taking the word Behavior out of the context they intended. They use the word Behavior in the same sense as talking about the Behavior of Mathematical Functions.

Write4U likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I like that......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

This is the symbol grounding problem. A crude metaphor would be the closed circularity of a dictionary, where the meanings of terms consist of referring to other terms and their word-combination descriptions. The definitions never capture the original, phenomenal things and events of the world except when a person is reading them (correlating the symbols to stored experiences or live ones occurring in the sensed environment).

However, "smart" machines are tools -- they usually don't have to apprehend the [information] "objects" they manipulate as humans represent them. Just produce the same responses slash actions as people or yield the results that we want.

Smart machines could potentially survive/evolve after we perished, as long as they are harboring a method of "invisible" representation (descriptive symbolism) that successfully jibes with or correlates to our experienced ("shown") environment, and perchance they were of a future self-replicating and autonomous category.

Since the world of scientific realism revolves heavily around the abstract representations of physics, there arguably shouldn't even be much of a drop-off with respect to that. Which is to say, even we can't directly perceive that reality as it is. As far as the routines of everyday life go, we are still stuck in the "commonsense realism" of our ancestors. Smart machines might be designed that entirely "live" within in a realm of physics conceptions (setting aside how brute survival might be compromised).

So that "descriptive knowledge" of [artificial] philosophical zombies (and the technological or syn-biological substrate that such descriptive information reduces to in their AI brains) can still potentially engage with the world very effectively. Though motives stemming from qualitative feelings and sensations will be absent if no physical dynamics and structural relationships have been substituted by engineers to stimulate analogous behavior/goals.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

What do you think the difference is? The behaviour of something is how it reacts to inputs, is it not? That is true of humans as much as it is of mathematical functions, albeit animal behaviour is presumably somewhat more complex than that of a mathematical function. So please can you explain how you think the context changes the meaning or understanding?

8. Steve Klinko Registered Senior Member

Good Link. Yes, the Meaning of things. So, in order to Know some stored Information/Data, we have to Know the Meaning of that Information/Data. I suppose that I just pack "Know the Meaning" into simply "Know". I'll give this some more thought.

9. Steve Klinko Registered Senior Member

I thought we were talking about the Behavior of Conscious Beings as compared to the Behavior of Machines. Talking about the Behavior of Mathematical Functions is a whole different concept. But if that actually is the sense that you were using the word, when talking about Neural Nets, then I understand.

10. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

You haven't explained what you think the difference is in the meaning of behaviour between the behaviour of conscious beings, and the behaviour of a mathematical function. How do you think the context changes the meaning? Why is talking about the behaviour of mathematical functions a "whole different concept" of the term? Or are you once again simply refusing to address any question or issue that you don't agree with?

11. Steve Klinko Registered Senior Member

If you don't already know what the difference is between the Behavior of a Conscious Being and the Behavior of a Mathematical Function, then you are either just trying to Obfuscate and Distract this discussion, or if you think there is no difference then you need to Explain that.

12. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I'm asking you to explain what you think the difference is, rather than just appealing to it. If you can't, then you shouldn't appeal to it as you do. In getting you to explain what you think the difference is, there is some hope that this thread will actually be a discussion rather than you simply defining, and then asserting a trite truism based on that definition.

13. Steve Klinko Registered Senior Member

So you do know what the difference is, and you are merely messing with me. Ok fine.

14. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

You continue to evade the question. What do you think the difference is that you asserted? Explain that difference, please, and why you think it significant to the issue? Or are you simply going to continue your troll-like ways?

15. Steve Klinko Registered Senior Member

Still messing with me I see. Ok fine.

16. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

If "messing with you" is asking you to explain yourself and, in your unwillingness to, highlighting your troll-like positioning on this website, then yeah, I guess I am.

17. Steve Klinko Registered Senior Member

So you are going to insist that I explain the difference between the Behavior of Conscious Beings and the Behavior of a Mathematical Function. Haaahhh! And you call me a Troll. Come on man go do the research yourself. This OP is a College Calculus course and you want me to teach you basic Arithmetic. Don't have the time for this. Go get you High School GED, then come back to this forum.

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

No, I want you to explain the difference in what the word "behaviour" means with regard those two. You claimed that there is a contextual difference to the meaning of the word. I am asking you to explain it. So please put the goalposts back, stop arguing strawmen, and explain this difference that you claimed exists in the meaning of the word, based on the contexts in question.
    I get that you want to avoid questions you're unable to answer. I get that your inability to answer this also highlights that you simply appealed to the as-yet-unexplained difference to avoid the issue raised by billvon. I get all that. And I get that you will do everything you can to continue to evade the matter. Trolls will do as trolls will do.

19. Steve Klinko Registered Senior Member

I know when I'm being Trolled. Trolls like to call OP writers Trolls when they don't get their way on some absurdity. Bye to you.

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I'm doing the same. Seems you have been shut out

Hope you are not crying to much

I might be next and I don't know how I will cope

21. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I shall cry into my coffee, and spend the next few days in bed to try to get over it, I'm sure.

Michael 345 likes this.
  22. Steve Klinko Registered Senior Member

Looks like this Topic has run out of any kind of Productivity.

23. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

It ran out of productivity the moment you begged the question in your definitions, which was... oh, right, post #1.