A Machiavellian Approach To Life

nicholas1M7

Banned
Banned
I think that sagacity and foresight are the greatest attributes. The ability to act without introspection, but rather, with knowledge and cunning, is prime. Courage falls close as well. All these things bring perfection.

*confused*

Sorry, I guess he was just right about how you don't know how to use a forum?

*confused*

existabrent said:
Nice. Can you please explain this further? thx

Think of a general or commander ordering his troops, but with fairness. Powerful, yet compassionate. Great, yet respectful. Someone who is capable of delivering badass fuckin hurts to his enemy, but does so after careful preparation and planning. He does not attack while they're at their best, but only when they are at their weakest in order to prevent the loss of life among his own flank. One who does great things while its still small enough to do. One who does not seek victory in defeat, but victory in preparation.

Now imagine that man in your own life.

nicholas1M7 said:
I think that sagacity and foresight are the greatest attributes. The ability to act without introspection, but rather, with knowledge and cunning, is prime. Courage falls close as well. All these things bring perfection.
You mean to act without thought brings success. :bugeye:

There is a difference between an act based on ignorance and one based on indifference.

They both will outwardly appear as courage but the first is just the absence of any awareness concerning the potential costs and dangers while the second is the product of an indifference concerning them.

Obtuseness is often mistaken for bravery.
We assume that the other acts with full knowledge when he simply acts from complete ignorance and then plays along when others assume differently.

Faith is the belief in the absurd or the expectation of the improbable based on nothing more than hope. We act out of faith when we cast all thought aside and simply dive into the unknown or when we expect a secret guiding hand to save us from the unknowable possibilities.

Indifference is the foundation of real confidence and courage.
It acts despite what it knows.

Some would mistakenly say that indifference results in inertia, but they are supposing that an indifferent mind would always choose non-participation when all options are equally open to it and it is indifferent to the consequences of both action and inaction.

In the master/slave relationship both are dependant on one another for their status.

The indifferent one, is the superior one, because he can play either role with equal concern knowing that, at any time, he can opt out of the relationship and choose a new status.

Towards an ever-changing and indifferent universe the only response can be adaptive indifference.
Indifference also produces clarity, since it minimizes personal motives and desires and simply interprets reality as it appears.
When I am indifferent about the outcome of my participation I am fully engaged in whatever I am doing, with no expectations or anxieties.

“I hope for nothing, I fear nothing; I am free.” – Kazantzakis.

From what I know about Machiavelli, didn't he contradict himself with a lot of his philosophy? Not sure htough, have read much into him. Niko Kazantzakis wrote an interesting sequel to the Oddessy that I read though.

Back