A Request For Sciforum "Moderators"

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by (Q), Apr 23, 2014.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Indeed and well said... hopefully he will take this chance to cool his proverbial jets and come back with a more level head... but I fear that might be impossible. Why would he change, over the course of seven days, something he has not been willing to change over the course of over seven years?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

I think a more reasoned approach would better accomplish that than returning his insults in kind.

Has anyone tried actually addressing Q's complaints? I understand he went overboard, but he had moderators insulting him virtually the entire time. Why can't the mods try talking to people who have complaints, instead of ridiculing and deriding them?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately, many times. The parts I pasted from the mod forum in the other post are just snippets - even when the entire thread went without anyone returning an insult, he would continue to fly off the handle and lash out at everyone around him.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I think the allowance to return insults in kind should be restored. Like it was "back in the day". How do you feel about that J?

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

What Sciforums needs is... mods who will actualy calm the situation if a poster is goin "overbord"... not add fuel to the fire like showin 6 year old posts.!!!

Q windin up bein baned benefits noone.!!!

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

After readin this thred it kinda looks like "back in the day" is here.!!!

How about it mods... a special area for people who want to duke it out (no holds bared)... then i coud put my boot up Randwolfs Azz... lol... or... a duke it out area they coud get baned to if they ant behavin in the "intelegent discussion" forums.!!!

That way very few people will actualy be baned from the fourm... an the site traffic :jawdrop:... my God... thank of all the site traffic :bravo:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

We could call it Flame Wars! Bet there'd be a ALOT of viewers.

11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yeah... an its been suggested befor but i forget why it was shot down.!!!

I thank it went somethin like... the flame forum woud be more popular than the intelligent-people forums... O... an it woud take away some of the perks of some of the mods to be able to bully people... cause about the worst thang they coud do is send you to the flame/fun area for a while... lol.!!!

It woud worke grate... same 'ol same 'ol moderation in the forums whare people act intelligent... an baned to flames if you act stoopid... an mod-drama instently cut by 52%... poster partisipation increase by 54%... site traffic increase by 56%... an over-all satisfaction wit Scifourms increase by 75%... now thats what i call a win win win win win situation... eh :xctd:

12. Alerya Registered Member

Had this happen on forums I used to frequent (granted they did it for a different reason, but still...) and it actually worked pretty well. It was a great way for people to blow off steam without the primary people on the forums having to be involved because the only people that could see the forums these people were banned to were those people and the moderators/admins. Unfortunately I am not sure how they set it up or anything, so it might be more difficult than we imagine.

13. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I made the same complaint. Here's Tiassa's original piece of trolling:

Here's my response to it.

I still think that's a valid and mature observation about the first post.

Q's first post in that thread was his agreeing with what I'd written.

And I thoroughly agree with that.

I continue to note that to my knowledge, no moderator (even Fraggle, who wears his atheism on his sleeve) has ever expressed any criticism of either the content (what little there was, it was basically just emotional noise) or (more to the point) the childish troll-like style of that first post. (To be fair, Syne did criticize it, he called it a 'steaming turd' or something like that. Syne's been purged.)

Again, he agreed with me and I agree with him. I don't think that our wonderful moderators would have been nearly so sanguine had a rank-and-file Sciforums participant tried to do what Tiassa so crudely did. The double-standard on Sciforums is clear for every one of its participants to see.

What actually happened was that I wrote a response to Tiassa's marginally more rational and coherent second post:

At that point Kittamaru tried to restate what Tiassa had written so as to extract a valid and defensible point from it:

The thread predictably derailed for a few posts because Kittamaru had written the word 'penis', then I replied:

Then Q made his second post (quoting my 'schoolyard bully's challenge' remark):

That post might indeed have been angry, but no more so than Tiassa's original post in this thread. Unlike that first post, Q's remarks were coherent and had a defensible point.

Once again I agree with Q that it's hypocritical to let moderators get away with behavior that would earn the rest of us warnings or bans.

I would still like to hear our moderator's opinions on the way that Tiassa started that thread.

Are any of you now willing to criticize it? If you aren't, are you willing to say for the record that it's ok for the rest of us to behave in the same manner that Tiassa did? If you aren't willing to endorse that, then how do you justify the seeming hypocrisy? Why is it some kind failing when Q gets angry and makes heated posts, while it's an expression of rightousness when Tiassa gets mad and writes incoherently? How do you make that consistent?

In my opinion, one of the worst problems here on Sciforums is the self-indulgent and emotionally undisciplined way that our moderators occasionally behave. It appears to me that no behavioral standards exist for moderators (apart from political correctness perhaps, a la Syne). And since moderators needn't meet any standard, several moderators seem prone to behaving in ways that would quickly attract moderators' righteous criticism if any of the rest of us behaved in the same way.

Bottom line, if you aren't willing to let Q get away with it, then don't do it yourselves. If you are going to continue doing it yourselves, then leave Q and the rest of us alone when we do it. You can't consistently have it both ways.

Right. That's excellent advice. Everyone needs to heed it, including moderators.

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Bravo.

15. brucep Valued Senior Member

Right on.
    This 'team' of moderators are incoherent in my estimation. If the moderation doesn't have a coherent plan that is consistently followed then there might as well be no moderators since none is getting done anyway. Except nitpicking folks for getting frustrated with the bullshit noise dominating the board. I vote for no moderation. It would be good for all. Nobody ends up feeling guilty for not doing the job and nobody gets nitpicked by 'ghost moderation'.

16. brucep Valued Senior Member

The Ode to Reiku.

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

When ive suggested somethin like this befor no mention was made of it bein to dificult to set up... an i thank it was Stryder or Tiassa who said he feared it woud be so popular that it woud draw people away from postin in the other areas... anyhow... as fun as it woud be... i dout its gonna happen here :shrug:

18. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I dunno... My guess is, he isn't out of earshot, and will soon make his presence known.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  19. Alerya Registered Member

Actually I know it can be done in such a way that your average user could not access that section. That's how the forums I was on before worked, so it wouldn't really draw people away from posting in other areas if done correctly.

20. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I see what you mean now an it sounds like a grate idea.!!!

How about it mods... any of you like that idea.???

21. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    A hungry feelin'
    Came o'er me stealin'
    And the mice were squealin'...

I mean, uh....

[video=youtube_share;4rScnRMbaF4]http://youtu.be/4rScnRMbaF4[/video]