A Use for Established Religion.

Silas

asimovbot
Registered Senior Member
"Christians" who beat the devil out of children - can real Christians do anything?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4098172.stm

This horrifying case, where so-called "Christian" pastors have encouraged their largely African immigrant flock to a) believe that children are possessed by evil spirits, which need to be tortured out of them, b) that certain religious ceremonies require the sacrifice of a young uncircumcised boy, which boy can be obtained from Africa at £10 a head, or c) having sexual intercourse with a child will cure HIV/AIDS.

As an atheist, a humanist, a rationalist, I know instinctively that I simply do not have the tools to deal with this extraordinary level of ignorance. Ordinary education is not going to do the job, there are adults who apparently need to be re-programmed to not torture and kill children.

This is a job for established religion, for missionaries who can work their "magic" and convince convinced pagan religionists of the higher moral value of true Christianity.

Last edited:
Silas said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4098172.stm

This horrifying case, where so-called "Christian" pastors have encouraged their largely African immigrant flock to a) believe that children are possessed by evil spirits, which need to be tortured out of them, b) that certain religious ceremonies require the sacrifice of a young uncircumcised boy, which boy can be obtained from Africa at £10 a head, or c) having sexual intercourse with a child will cure HIV/AIDS.

As an atheist, a humanist, a rationalist, I know instinctively that I simply do not have the tools to deal with this extraordinary level of ignorance. Ordinary education is not going to do the job, there are adults who apparently need to be re-programmed to not torture and kill children.

This is a job for established religion, for missionaries who can work their "magic" and convince convinced pagan religionists of the higher moral value of true Christianity.
Good point.

Ok, then I give up. I mean, this is a Religion forum, this is a religious story, and here am I, an atheist, controversially (I hoped) suggesting that established religion, specifically Christianity, is the best tool for dealing with this staggering ignorance, in this almost incredible situation.

And nobody is willing to debate this? I mean, 300 children vanishing from one of the world's major capitals doesn't interest anybody?

I'll not be bothering with the Religion sub-forum any more, I've gone to an Evangelical Theology forum, people actually seem to listen to each other there, (in and amongst the incessant preaching).

I bring this up today because this morning on Radio 4 I discovered that the Right Reverend Tom Butler (sort of) agrees with me: BBC Thought For The Day transcript.

Last edited:
Hello, dipshit! This is not discussing Christianity?!?! Did you even bother to read the article??

Here is a quote from the article:"We do not condone any form of cultish practices and I think we need to define the difference between a cult and a church, that's an important thing and I'm a bit wary when we use the term 'church' in a loose fashion."

Well, insults from people who evidently did not read my post or understand what I wrote is at least better than nothing!

Back