Alternatives to Prison and Capital Punishment

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
Has prison changed society for the better?

Is there an effect of imprisonment on crime rate and incentive to commit crimes?

Do all the people in prison deserve to be there?

Finally, what would you consider an acceptable alternative to prison as a means of rehab or bringing offenders back into mainstream society?

You can differentiate between different types of criminals if you like.

Yes. Many criminals are taught a lesson in prison and change their lifestyle. people who have not commited crimes look at suffering of criminals and thus self-discourage themselves from doing those crimes.

Is there an effect of imprisonment on crime rate and incentive to commit crimes?
I am sure there is.

Obviously no. Judicial system is not perfect. However jail one...protect thousands. Better be sure for the sake of majority.

Finally, what would you consider an acceptable alternative to prison as a means of rehab or bringing offenders back into mainstream society?

DEATH. DEATH. DEATH.

Who's society? There are many many different countries with different societies, with different laws. Care to be more specific? A generalized question, like the one you posted above, cannot really be answered in the form it's in.

Once again, which society?

I would have to say probably not to this question.

Even rehab does not work for some people. I'm all for the death penalty on certain crimes. I'm also for the death penalty for prisoners who cause trouble whilst they're in prison. I personally think every member of the prison gang network the Aryan Brotherhood should be shot dead where they stand/sit in prison right this very moment. Google them and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Why don't we differentiate on different countries/cultures/societies/legal systems first?

Prison is common to all societies, is it not?
I don't know. Is it? You seem to be the fuckin know-it-all about every single society on this planet.
You're telling me that the raw, tribal societies in Africa have elaborate prisons, when they live in open huts themselves? :rolleyes:
Besides, not all societies have the same prison system/legal system/laws etc. Not all societies have the same prisons. Not all prisoners will get the same treatment in different prisons. So as I mentioned before, you can't ask that question in the broad term that it was presented.

I don't know. Is it? You seem to be the fuckin know-it-all about every single society on this planet.
You're telling me that the raw, tribal societies in Africa have elaborate prisons, when they live in open huts themselves? :rolleyes:
Besides, not all societies have the same prison system/legal system/laws etc. Not all societies have the same prisons. Not all prisoners will get the same treatment in different prisons. So as I mentioned before, you can't ask that question in the broad term that it was presented.

Africans don't have prisons? lol

Boy you guys really live in a closed world.

http://www.africanprisons.com/

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/11/06/news/prisons.php

I am addressing incarceration as a means of rehab; lets skip the illusion that people enjoy some types of prison.

the money they sink into prisons should be sunk into helping poor families. How many rich people are in prison?

Yeah but there's no guarantee against wrongful convictions

Life gave me no guarantees...I came to be alive in a world I never knew of, a world which had no answers for me or for anyone. Blind sheep in forest full of wolves, holes, and raging fires.

Africans don't have prisons? lol
Africa is a big county, Sam dear. Apparently you forgot the backwoods jungle/savannah tribes that thrive with virtually NO technology whatsoever.
If one of them captures or catches another doing something wrong, etc, they don't have huge buildings to store their prisoners.
So I will say it once again, since your dense skull is prohibiting you from comprehending it, NOT ALL SOCIETIES ARE THE SAME. Not all prison systems are the same. Not all legal systems and incarceration procedures are the same.
So let me help you out with your original question, some countries prison systems may be more effective than others. Some may provide better rehabilitation programs. Some may not.
I feel dumber everytime I read one of your posts. :shrug:

Boy you guys really live in a closed world.
See my 'know-it-all' statement.

Wow. You really showed me. And here all this time I thought ALL of Africa was comprised of backwoods, non-technological tribes. :rolleyes:

I am addressing incarceration as a means of rehab; lets skip the illusion that people enjoy some types of prison.
And once again, I'm addressing the fact that you can't generically apply that statement, at least very accurately, to all the prison systems in the world.

Africa is a big county, Sam dear. Apparently you forgot the backwoods jungle/savannah tribes that thrive with virtually NO technology whatsoever.
If one of them captures or catches another doing something wrong, etc, they don't have huge buildings to store their prisoners.
So I will say it once again, since your dense skull is prohibiting you from comprehending it, NOT ALL SOCIETIES ARE THE SAME. Not all prison systems are the same. Not all legal systems and incarceration procedures are the same.
So let me help you out with your original question, some countries prison systems may be more effective than others. Some may provide better rehabilitation programs. Some may not.
I feel dumber everytime I read one of your posts. :shrug:

See my 'know-it-all' statement.

Wow. You really showed me. And here all this time I thought ALL of Africa was comprised of backwoods, non-technological tribes. :rolleyes:

And once again, I'm addressing the fact that you can't generically apply that statement, at least very accurately, to all the prison systems in the world.

I'm not surprised you feel dumber, since you apparently miss the point of the posts and feel compelled to flaunt your ignorance.

Hopefully you'll save brain tissue by restraining yourself from posting further in this thread.

1. no, there is no proof that prison deters criminals.

2. not all the people deserve to be there, some are inocent.

3. an alternative, i dont know,

I'm not surprised you feel dumber, since you apparently miss the point of the posts and feel compelled to flaunt your ignorance.
It's no more than your self-proclaimed 'I know everything' attitude.

I didn't miss any point. I am merely speaking the truth, asking for more specifics, because as I said, and you don't have to believe it, your original question DOES need to be more specific in order to be more accurately answered; otherwise, one would just be generalizing about every prison system (and whether or not it helps/rehabs prisoners) on this planet.

Hopefully you'll save brain tissue by restraining yourself from posting further in this thread.
You first, sweetheart.

Sure, but what precisely is their relevence?
Seeing as we're on the internet, typing in English, it's fair to assume that most of us aren't Pygmies, and that when a poster says "society" they mean the prevailing global society. But even if you are 100 percent correct, and you're not wrong, I'm not sure what your point is.

Back