Buddhism

Jade Squirrel

Impassioned Atheist
Registered Senior Member
I don't think we hear enough about Buddhism in this forum. I'd like to know how any Buddhists here justify their beliefs in this religion.

I like to think, I don't like blind faith.

I was fascinated by some zen buddhism I was introduced to some years ago - What are the buddhist fundemental beliefs?

Originally posted by Blue_UK
I like to think, I don't like blind faith.

I was fascinated by some zen buddhism I was introduced to some years ago - What are the buddhist fundemental beliefs?
To cultivate what is good, to refrain from what is evil, and to totally purify the mind. These are the fundamental Buddhist practices, brought about by their beliefs. In Zen, it is important to know things in a top down manner. The practice suggests the belief. Do you see what I'm saying?

I see what you're saying.

However, it is one of my funemental beliefs that there is no good or evil. Only what pleases me and what does not. I have difficulty understanding what people really mean when they say 'right' or 'good'. Surely they mean 'consensus'.

I see what you're saying.

However, it is one of my funemental beliefs that there is no good or evil. Only what pleases me and what does not. I have difficulty understanding what people really mean when they say 'right' or 'good'. Surely they mean 'consensus'.
From the Buddha himself:

An untroubled mind,
No longer seeking to consider
What is right and what is wrong,
A mind beyond judgments,
Watches and understands.

I take it the emphisis is on understanding, which by definition does not require any further contemplation. (So thinking about right or wrong is obsolete)

I take it the emphisis is on understanding, which by definition does not require any further contemplation. (So thinking about right or wrong is obsolete)
Right and wrong are subjective, and the fruit of judgement. Buddhists do not judge.

Ah... Judge as in the judge other people.

I have been told than buddhists also believe in Reincarnation. Do you believe in that, or is that only believed by archaic buds?

Originally posted by Siddhartha
Right and wrong are subjective, and the fruit of judgement. Buddhists do not judge.
See, now this is why Buddhism is a cool religion, unlike the monotheist religions.

I am a Buddhist. What do you want me to justify?
One fundamental belief of Buddhism involves reincarnation. Why do you believe that a person goes through different cycles of life and can attain Nirvana if they release their attachment to desire? What evidence is there for this?

yes, i have always agreed with many aspects of buddhism, but i always pause at reincarnation. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, and the buddhists say that they don't believe in a transmutable soul that goes from body to body between lives. But isn't this the definition of reincarnation?

Thanks

Originally posted by EvilPoet
Have you checked out the eastern philosophy forum?
It's not the philosophical part of Buddhism I am curious about. It is the elements that make it a religion, things like reincarnation and Nirvana, that I am referring to. Sorry I didn't make myself more clear earlier. Thanks for the referral though.

From the Buddha himself:

An untroubled mind,
No longer seeking to consider
What is right and what is wrong,
A mind beyond judgments,
Watches and understands.
Also from the Buddha:

Know that the body is a fragile jar,
And make a castle of your mind.

In every trial
Let understanding fight for you
To defend what you have won.

For soon the body is discarded.
Than what does it feel?
A useless log of wood, it lies on the
ground.
Then what does it know?

Your worst enemy cannot harm you
As much as your own thoughts,
unguarded.

But once mastered,
No one can help you as much,
Not even your father or your mother.

Reincarnation beliefs in Buddhism are differ according to the school one adheres to. Theoretically buddhist beliefs on reincarnation do not involve transmigration of the soul. The idea of reincarnation for them, is a purely causal one( having said that I know Theravadan buddhists that believe in transmigration). Our actions have effects that live on after we die. Bad actions have bad effects, so in effect, there is a rebirth of what we are. Nirvana in this context is best considered the death of attachment and craving. Annilhation of the self is not death, but death of the ego that which results in what might be called evil. This is supposed to be rather self-evident, and I think it is. It can be quite easily interpreted to have no superflous soully, spiritual crap or not. Its premises are supported by nothing but an observation of the world and logic.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/zennun/fundamental.html

Is a good essay.

to all the practising buddhists out there-- do you agree with the belief that buddha was an avatar of the god Vishnu? because i feel that a great injustice was done to buddha and buddhism when the hindus propogated this belief.

Originally posted by Voodoo Child
Reincarnation beliefs in Buddhism are differ according to the school one adheres to. Theoretically buddhist beliefs on reincarnation do not involve transmigration of the soul. The idea of reincarnation for them, is a purely causal one( having said that I know Theravadan buddhists that believe in transmigration)
That is a very good way of explaining it. I think the problem comes from the fact that many people take the word "reincarnation" as very literal, and how western/abrahamic religions might teach it to mean. Indeed, the true meaning of reincarnation in most Buddhism schools is that the inner, or subtle mind, that which is you beneath even the emergence of personality is what is transferred. I cannot speak for Theravadan Buddhists, as I am not one. It is more my belief that merely influence is passed on.

To Blue_UK and Jade Squirrel, I hope this answers your question, though I'll perhaps look out something a close friend of mine showed me, as a means by which he explains Buddhist Reincarnation to people. :)

To Blue_UK and Jade Squirrel, I hope this answers your question, though I'll perhaps look out something a close friend of mine showed me, as a means by which he explains Buddhist Reincarnation to people. :)
:) Very well put. Thanks for the clear explanation, Voodoo Child and Siddhartha. It seems to me, then, that the term "reincarnation" is a misnomer, since it comes from the Latin "carn-", which means flesh. There are a couple things I don't understand though.

First, if it is merely the effects of one's positive actions that are passed on (or "reincarnated"), then how does an individual attain Nirvana? Another thing I don't understand is the concept of a bodhisattva, who vows not to enter Nirvana so they can assist others in attaining enlightenment. How does the one "remain behind" to help out? If the alternative is Nirvana, then how does one "get there"?

Originally posted by Jade Squirrel
:) Very well put. Thanks for the clear explanation, Voodoo Child and Siddhartha. It seems to me, then, that the term "reincarnation" is a misnomer, since it comes from the Latin "carn-", which means flesh. There are a couple things I don't understand though.

First, if it is merely the effects of one's positive actions that are passed on (or "reincarnated"), then how does an individual attain Nirvana? Another thing I don't understand is the concept of a bodhisattva, who vows not to enter Nirvana so they can assist others in attaining enlightenment. How does the one "remain behind" to help out? If the alternative is Nirvana, then how does one "get there"?
A Boddhisatva is like the man who holds a door open for you as you walk through it. Once everyone's gone through, he'll walk through himself too. An individual attaining Nirvana is something different. Much as I understand th concepts I wish to impart to you, I suggest you speak to a Buddhist who can help you with your questions. I feel maybe there's too much to explain in literal text, rather than in questions and answers. Or am I missing the entire point of a forum? :p

Back