Can a robot learn right from wrong?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by wegs, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

No no no

This was a fixed movement of the planes centre of gravity due to new engines being required to be attached further forward under the wing

And not at high speed, at take off and climbing when nose up is a requirement

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I’ve decided to step out of my bubble, since it’s always getting burst. lol

I agree, and that’s an interesting perspective.

But seatbelts don’t make decisions, AI is going to be required to make decisions. They’re going to be designed with ethics in mind. Is that a good or bad idea, I don’t know yet.

I hesitate to get into the whole “can AI develop consciousness” conversation as I don’t think that machines can develop anything more than they’re engineered and programmed to “know.” That’s just my opinion, anyway.

Seattle likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Maybe but they will be designed by humans and how do humans react? If you're in a car about to crash, you try to avoid the crash. You don't really think "If I avoid the car in front of me, there may be a car to my side, I may hit it and someone may be killed".

Sure, if there is a large crowd of pedestrians to the right, you hit the car in front of you rather than hit the pedestrians but again, the pedestrians might be able to jump out of the way and you may be killing a newborn baby in the car but you just can't know any of that and AI can't either.

So I expect that AI will operate much like we would in the limited areas that they operate.

On an airplane with "fly by wires" a computer makes many micro adjustments to the flying surfaces. Aircraft can be designed so that no human can keep them flying without the aid of the computers. Fighter jets are like this now.

The computers are backed up by other computers and there are rules about which one to use if one goes "bad". The proof is in the pudding so to speak, you test them and once you are happy with the results you OK their use in the fighter jet.

There's really no "ethics" involved and I doubt that in the strictest sense that there ever will be.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I hadn't really followed this until you brought it up. I did a little searching just now and this seems like a pretty balanced article.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/march/14/faa-grounds-boeing-737-max-fleet

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member