Communion only to Christians

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
What is the history of giving communion?

When did it come into practice?

Why do they give communion only to Christians?

I know the general stuff about last supper, body and blood, but I'm wondering when it became a part of the practice of Christianity

Do all Christian denominations practise it?

A basic overview

Resources:

Poehle, Joseph. "The Blessed Eucharist as a Sacrament", The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 5. New York: Robert Appleton Company. NewAdvent.org. March 8, 2010. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05584a.htm

McBride, Alfred. "Eucharist: A Short History". Catholic Update. October, 2006. AmericanCatholic.org. March 8, 2010. http://www.americancatholic.org/newsletters/cu/ac1006.asp

Wikipedia. "Eucharist". March 8, 2010. Wikipedia.com. March 8, 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharist

From McBride:

Gradually the apostles and their successors developed the Eucharistic celebration into the structure that endures to this day. They first named it the “Breaking of the Bread” but soon they saw the need to separate the rite from a meal, both because of abuses at meals (1 Cor 11:17-22) and because they wanted a more prayerful setting for this act of worship.

This development was reported by a late first-century document, the Didache or “Teaching of the Apostles.” Eucharist was moved to Sunday in memory of Christ’s resurrection. In place of the meal the early Christians created a Liturgy of the Word somewhat modeled after synagogue prayer that included readings from Scripture, singing of psalms and an instruction.

Around the words of institution they added prayers of thanksgiving, praise and intercession. By the year 150, St. Justin Martyr tells us that the basic structure of the Mass was already in place. These Eucharists were held in people’s homes up until the year 313.

On Sunday there were two readings by a lector, a homily by the priest, then the Eucharistic Prayer and the distribution of Communion. And yes, there was a collection—for widows, orphans and others in need! The threefold roles of bishop, priest and deacon were already in place in the first century.

Our Second Eucharistic Prayer today is brief and simple, and owes its inspiration to a similar one composed by Hippolytus of Rome in 215. It is clear that the basic form of the Eucharist occurred very early and has remained remarkably durable for 2,000 years.

Communion is reserved to Christians as a matter of logical utility. What would it do for me to receive the Eucharist without belief? As a basic reenactment of the Last Supper, it is an act of faith that invites and receives a blessing. Without faith, one cannot do this; how can one ask for and receive what they do not believe is real?

Still, though, according to Wikipedia:

Many Christian denominations classify the Eucharist as a sacrament. Some Protestants prefer to call it an ordinance, viewing it not as a specific channel of divine grace but as an expression of faith and of obedience to Christ ....

.... Christian denominations differ in their understanding of whether they may receive the Eucharist with those with whom they are not in full communion. The famed apologist St. Justin Martyr (c. 150) wrote: "No one else is permitted to partake of it, except one who believes our teaching to be true...." For the first several hundred years, non-members were forbidden even to be present at the sacramental ritual; visitors and catechumens (those still undergoing instruction) were dismissed halfway through the Liturgy, after the Bible readings and sermon but before the Eucharistic rite. The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, used in the Byzantine Churches, still has a formula of dismissal of catechumens (not usually followed by any action) at this point.

The ancient Churches, such as the Roman Catholic and the Eastern Orthodox exclude non-members from Communion under normal circumstances, though they may allow exceptions, e.g., for non-members in danger of death who share their faith in the reality of the Eucharist and who are unable to have access to a minister of their own community. Some Protestant communities including Lutheran churches in the ELCA, LCMS, and WELS practice closed communion and require catechetical instruction for all people before receiving the Eucharist. Most Protestant communities, including Reformed, Evangelical, Methodist, the Church of Sweden, and some ELCA Lutherans and Anglicans practice open communion in the sense of not limiting it to members of their own Church alone, but some of them require that the communicant be a baptized person.

Some Progressive Christian congregations offer communion to any individual who wishes to commemorate the life and teachings of Christ, regardless of religious affiliation.

Not all denominations practice communion, but the vast majority do.

Communion is reserved to Christians as a matter of logical utility. What would it do for me to receive the Eucharist without belief? As a basic reenactment of the Last Supper, it is an act of faith that invites and receives a blessing. Without faith, one cannot do this; how can one ask for and receive what they do not believe is real?

How does that matter? Isn't religious ritual about community? I am invited for all my friends pujas and religious celebrations, the pujaris give all of us the prasad which is the blessed offering from the temple . I read the prayers, participate in the worship etc. I don't have to believe in it to enjoy it. e.g. when I went to Shirdi, I went with a friend and we did all the commercial stuff, getting the thali and scarf and head dress and coconut, plus the wreath, saw the "temple" and the samadhi [Sai Baba's grave], and brought back prasad for all our friends.

How does that matter? Isn't religious ritual about community?
It is. But why would you take the communion if you did not believe in Christ or what it stood for?

For example, I am an atheist. On some occasions, I will attend church with my family because it is a certain event, ie, wedding, funeral, christening, etc. I partake in the religious ritual but I do not take the communion because I do not believe in Christ. The same applies to the non-Christians in the family. They come along because it is an event important to the family, but we don't take communion.

I am invited for all my friends pujas and religious celebrations, the pujaris give all of us the prasad which is the blessed offering from the temple . I read the prayers, participate in the worship etc. I don't have to believe in it to enjoy it. e.g. when I went to Shirdi, I went with a friend and we did all the commercial stuff, getting the thali and scarf and head dress and coconut, plus the wreath, saw the "temple" and the samadhi [Sai Baba's grave], and brought back prasad for all our friends.
And you can still do that.

But the reasoning behind it is why would you take the wafer, when you don't believe in Christ. You go to Church and you will get the same blessings as everyone else and enjoy the same festivities and prayers and participate in the whole ritual of the manner in which they pray. But why would you want to take the communion wafer if you do not believe that it is 'the body of Christ'?

Isn't religious ritual about community?

On its own, divorced from faith? Sometimes.

More often it's about the specific community of believers.

Sometimes it's not about community at all, but simply personal faith and belief.

But why would you want to take the communion wafer if you do not believe that it is 'the body of Christ'?

Same reason why I would take the prasad. I'm trying to imagine, at all the temples in India, giving bhog only to those people who are devotees of that deity. A lot of people would feel excluded. Why even in Saudi Arabia, when they distribute food for those who were fasting, they never ask if you are Muslim. They give everyone who shows up and in fact, invite all the people they know, regardless of faith to partake in the ritual. If they limited it to only Muslims, it would be like Mecca, people would know about it, but would feel it was something separate or apart from them. Zorastrians do that, they don't permit any non-Parsi to enter their temple. Even if you are married to one of them. So if a girl is married to a Parsi but has not converted, she cannot attend any of her kids functions in the temple, not even the thread ceremony.

For example, I am an atheist. On some occasions, I will attend church with my family because it is a certain event, ie, wedding, funeral, christening, etc. I partake in the religious ritual but I do not take the communion because I do not believe in Christ. The same applies to the non-Christians in the family. They come along because it is an event important to the family, but we don't take communion.

And this is an important piece of context for the Malaysia thread: in most places, one can perfectly well attend a, say, Catholic mass without being a believer, or taking communion. In fact, it is considered respectful for non-believers (and, likewise, the unconfirmed in Catholoicism) not to partake in those parts of the ritual, which are reserved specifically for the confirmed faithful.

So one can perfectly well go to Catholic mass and report on what one sees, without needing to take communion. For a nonbeliever to take communion in such a situation is an act of deception, a (false) pretense that one is a believer.

If they limited it to only Muslims, it would be like Mecca,

Exactly.

So if some Christian reporters were to pose as Muslims in order to get into Mecca for reporting purposes, and in the process desecrate places and acts of worship... I take it you'd have no problem with that, and proceed to label any Muslim who did as an "idiot?"

Last edited:
Same reason why I would take the prasad. I'm trying to imagine, at all the temples in India, giving bhog only to those people who are devotees of that deity. A lot of people would feel excluded. Why even in Saudi Arabia, when they distribute food for those who were fasting, they never ask if you are Muslim. They give everyone who shows up and in fact, invite all the people they know, regardless of faith to partake in the ritual. If they limited it to only Muslims, it would be like Mecca, people would know about it, but would feel it was something separate or apart from them. Zorastrians do that, they don't permit any non-Parsi to enter their temple. Even if you are married to one of them. So if a girl is married to a Parsi but has not converted, she cannot attend any of her kids functions in the temple, not even the thread ceremony.

Not all Christians take the communion. Those who aren't Catholic but are Christian go forward and get a blessing from the priest instead. And some who are Catholic and don't take communion for their own personal reasons (like my father for example), take the blessing instead. And the same applies for people of other religious denomination.

Communion is a matter of personal belief and how it is expressed.

You can still partake in the ceremony but taking the communion is based on one's personal faith in Christ or God.

I hope you know that I do not consider this to be right either.

hway-2-mecca-muslims-only.jpg

I know many Muslims do not agree with the Saud decision to make Mecca exclusively available only to Muslims.

So if some Christian reporters were to pose as Muslims in order to get into Mecca for reporting purposes, and in the process desecrate places and acts of worship... I take it you'd have no problem with that, and proceed to label any Muslim who did as an "idiot?"

You can't "desecrate" anything in Mecca, nothing there is holy. But if we want to talk desecration, then the Sauds top the list for what they have done to historical sites there.

Last edited:
I hope you know that I do not consider this to be right either.

It doesn't really matter, either way. Making an entire city off-limits to those of the "wrong" faiths isn't comparable to expecting people to respect private religious practices.

It doesn't really matter, either way. Making an entire city off-limits to those of the "wrong" faiths isn't comparable to expecting people to respect private religious practices.

Politicians making stupid laws is very different from priests selecting which church goer gets a wafer. I remember when my friends mother died and we went to bury her, the priest asked us to make two lines to pay our respects, because he didn't want to accidentally give communion to a non-Christian. I found his priorities very bizarre.

But why would you take the communion if you did not believe in Christ or what it stood for?

For example, I am an atheist. .... I do not take the communion because I do not believe in Christ.

I took it just out of curiosity. I needed to know what the wafer tasted like. Ritual is at the bottom of my serious list so I was totally unfazed by it.

Not taking it because you don't believe in Christ is no different than a Muslim or Jew refusing to do the same. Atheism shouldn't become a religion.

Politicians making stupid laws is very different from priests selecting which church goer gets a wafer.

That's what I just said, isn't it? Not that the implied distinction between politicians and priests holds in a theocracy.

And that's not how it works with the communion. The priests typically give a wafer to everyone who lines up for one. The (self-)selection is done by the people attending.

I remember when my friends mother died and we went to bury her, the priest asked us to make two lines to pay our respects, because he didn't want to accidentally give communion to a non-Christian. I found his priorities very bizarre.

And there you have it: the priest didn't select who would get a wafer. He asked the people there to freely respect this religious belief by not taking communion if they weren't a believer. And I'm going to go out on a limb and hazard that nobody had any problem complying with that simple, reasonable request. That's the way it's worked at every Mass I've ever attended.

And I'm going to go out on a limb and hazard that nobody had any problem complying with that simple, reasonable request. That's the way it's worked at every Mass I've ever attended.

Correct, just as the chamar children have no problem sitting in the side of the classroom designated for untouchables.

Politicians making stupid laws is very different from priests selecting which church goer gets a wafer. I remember when my friends mother died and we went to bury her, the priest asked us to make two lines to pay our respects, because he didn't want to accidentally give communion to a non-Christian. I found his priorities very bizarre.

I have been to church many times in my life and I have never, ever, seen what you just described.

Correct, just as the chamar children have no problem sitting in the side of the classroom designated for untouchables.
How is that even a comparison?:bugeye:

I'm observing that it's an extremely poor analogy for the giving of communion.

The reasoning behind a holy wafer and an unholy shudra is exactly the same. Anyway, I hope that a few years down the road, people can go to Mecca or the Fire Temple while untouchables don't have to worry about sitting outside the classroom. And I hope that Christianity evolves to the point where people are worth more than a wafer.

Back