Construction of the Pyramids: Ramps

exchemist

Valued Senior Member
I thought this was interesting new evidence to support the hypothesis that the Egyptians used ramps to lift the block to the height needed: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ows-light-on-mystery-of-pyramids-construction

Two new points:

1) the presence of post holes, possibly signifying that ropes could have been passed around them to allow those below the block to help those above to pull it up, and

2) the unexpected steepness of the ramp, which would have greatly reduced the volume of material needed to make it, compared to what had previously been assumed.

The two findings are nicely complementary, making the ramp method considerably more efficient than had been thought up to now.

Do we have any evidence that the Egyptians used pulleys?
History seems to suggest pulleys were not invented for another few millennia.

It's possible that might be an overreach or just sloppy wording in the article.

Ropes around posts would still help with moving blocks, even if they didn't actually use pulleys.

History seems to suggest pulleys were not invented for another few millennia.

It's possible that might be an overreach or just sloppy wording in the article.

Ropes around posts would still help with moving blocks, even if they didn't actually use pulleys.
Yes I took it to mean they just passed the ropes round posts and pulled on them.

In the absence of finding Some document describing the construction, we can only make educated guesses.

Several years ago I read something about "petrie rockers". The only reference I can currently find is:
http://www.gigalresearch.com/uk/partenaires-gigal.php
Has anyone else read about these? It made sense to me, but I may be missing something.
Paul Hai has a web presence.
In addition to calling this a "pulley", which it is not (it is a parbuckling technique), and the reliance on the steps (leaving a critical phase of the construction of smooth sided pyramids unexplained), the following detail increases wariness:
link said:
When this happens the pulley can lift a 2500kg Pyramid block with a mechanical advantage of 2.8 (which is equivalent to a lifting effort of 90kg) onto the next Pyramid step, - -
The lifting effort would be nearer 900kg than 90.
But it is a clever idea, and within the known tech capabilities of the time.

Some guy has calculated that during construction the builders were installing a block of stone every five minutes, on average, for thirty years.

Last edited:
I think what is interesting is say in the case of the great pyramid if they worked 24/7 for 20 years we find that approx 14 blocks need to be quarried transported and laid each and every hour for that 20 year period...or if forty years 7 an hour 24/7.
Busy busy busy☺
Or are my numbers wrong.
Alex

I think what is interesting is say in the case of the great pyramid if they worked 24/7 for 20 years we find that approx 14 blocks need to be quarried transported and laid each and every hour for that 20 year period...or if forty years 7 an hour 24/7.
Busy busy busy☺
Or are my numbers wrong.
Alex
Archeologists have found the workers' city: https://www.livescience.com/28961-ancient-giza-pyramid-builders-camp-unearthed.html
"Based on animal bone findings, nutritional data, and other discoveries at this workers' town site, the archaeologists estimate that more than 4,000 pounds of meat — from cattle, sheep and goats — were slaughtered every day, on average, to feed the pyramid builders."​

They probably had ramps on all sides simply to accomodate the numbers of stones being laid...you could think.
Alex

Back