Cursing and Christians

Frisbinator

Registered Senior Member
Is there anything in the bible that prohibits use of the words: f*ck, sh*t, b*tch, etc... ? If a minister were to say, trip on the steps and say "shoot!", what would be the difference of him saying "Sh*t!", if the meaning of the words were the same?

Mabye in the next edition of the bible that they write? ;)
Actually i've no idea, cos i've no interest in reading the bible.

No.

Christians don't curse because they follow a book that elevates symbols above their referents. If "poo poo" isn't an offensive word, "shit" shouldn't be either. They refer to the same thing. If the <i>thing</i> isn't offensive, who gives a shit?

Same deal as flag-burning. You don't burn freedom when you burn a flag. You burn a flag.

Personally, I find actual things far more offensive than their corresponding labels.

Josh

Last edited:
Gee thanks for telling me your personal opinions as fascinating as those are, could someone justify what they think biblicaly?

Frisbinator said:
Gee thanks for telling me your personal opinions as fascinating as those are, could someone justify what they think biblicaly?

Well, let's see... the Bible isn't going to mention to "fuck," "shit," or "bitch" because it was written in several dead languages a couple thousands of years ago. :D

As for the question of cursing and sin, the Bible clearly says using God's name in vain is wrong (Exodus 20:7), so I guess we have to throw out "goddamn" and "Jesus H. Christ!" along with newer inventions like "god-fucking-damnit" and "Sweet Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick!"

Ephesians 4:29 says something to the effect of "let no corrupt communication come from your mouth" -- so that might apply, although the meaning of "corrupt" could be argued. The Bible also forbids certain types of swearing, though it's most likely referring to the swearing of an oath, not your typical "fuck you."

That better?

Josh

JustARide said:
As for the question of cursing and sin, the Bible clearly says using God's name in vain is wrong (Exodus 20:7), so I guess we have to throw out "goddamn" and "Jesus H. Christ!" along with newer inventions like "god-fucking-damnit" and "Sweet Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick!"

I am fuming.. :mad:

Ephesians 4:29 says something to the effect of "let no corrupt communication come from your mouth" -- so that might apply, although the meaning of "corrupt" could be argued. The Bible also forbids certain types of swearing, though it's most likely referring to the swearing of an oath, not your typical "fuck you."

That better?

Josh

Remember Frisbinator, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

I will tackle this from a Biblical standpoint tomorrow.

JustARide said:
Well, let's see... the Bible isn't going to mention to "fuck," "shit," or "bitch" because it was written in several dead languages a couple thousands of years ago. :D
M*W: Allow me to enlighten you, Josh. The word "fuck" is not a bad word. Why it makes proper ladies blush, I don't know (God only knows I'm not one of 'em). F-U-C-K was an abbreviation that was put on the stockades of adulterers, prostitutes, and other fornicators that means For-Unlawful-Carnal-Knowledge. It is most likely an Old English term as it was prevalent in the American Colonies (i.e. like the Scarlet Letter "A"). Putting a sign that says For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is lengthy, the law was allowed to abbreviate it. So, the euphemism "F-U-C-K" is not a bad word after all. In fact, it is quite pleasant... if you think that being put in a stockade for a good old roll in the hay is pleasant. "Fuck" is not as improper as people think. The meaning has just changed. Today "fuck" means sexual intercourse outside of marriage - OR - it could simply mean something that cannot be tolerated as in "he's a fucking idiot" or "I don't give a "fuck." Com'on people, the Victorian Age is long past. It's really not a "bad word" after all!

Medicine Woman said:
M*W: Allow me to enlighten you, Josh. The word "fuck" is not a bad word. Why it makes proper ladies blush, I don't know (God only knows I'm not one of 'em). F-U-C-K was an abbreviation that was put on the stockades of adulterers, prostitutes, and other fornicators that means For-Unlawful-Carnal-Knowledge. It is most likely an Old English term as it was prevalent in the American Colonies (i.e. like the Scarlet Letter "A"). Putting a sign that says For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is lengthy, the law was allowed to abbreviate it. So, the euphemism "F-U-C-K" is not a bad word after all. In fact, it is quite pleasant... if you think that being put in a stockade for a good old roll in the hay is pleasant. "Fuck" is not as improper as people think. The meaning has just changed. Today "fuck" means sexual intercourse outside of marriage - OR - it could simply mean something that cannot be tolerated as in "he's a fucking idiot" or "I don't give a "fuck." Com'on people, the Victorian Age is long past. It's really not a "bad word" after all!

OK, two things:

1. If you had read any of my posts you would know I'm not the one who has problems with "fuck." So why direct the lecture at me?

2. You've posted this urban legend on other threads, but it remains just that -- an urban legend. A similar fake etymology exists for the word "cunt," and it too is legend.

Josh

Last edited:
§outh§tar said:
I am fuming..

Remember Frisbinator, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

I will tackle this from a Biblical standpoint tomorrow.

Now, wait a second...

I tackled the issue and cited biblical verses in support of my position. You are free to disagree with my conclusions, but that doesn't mean I pulled my verses out of thin air.

If my liberal use of curse words bothers you, all I can say is it reflects my belief that language is nothing but an artificial construct used to facilitate our understanding of the world -- and beyond that, it is arbitrary and meaningless. And I ask that you please respect my beliefs.

Hehe. :D

Josh

JustARide said:
Now, wait a second...

I tackled the issue and cited biblical verses in support of my position. You are free to disagree with my conclusions, but that doesn't mean I pulled my verses out of thin air.

If my liberal use of curse words bothers you, all I can say is it reflects my belief that language is nothing but an artificial construct used to facilitate our understanding of the world -- and beyond that, it is arbitrary and meaningless. And I ask that you please respect my beliefs.

Hehe. :D

Josh

What would Jesus do if He heard you say that? "Respect your beliefs"?

Didn't think so :p

§outh§tar said:
What would Jesus do if He heard you say that? "Respect your beliefs"?

I don't know. What would Allah do? What would Papa Smurf do? What would the Tooth Fairy do? *gasp* For all you know Jesus would say, "Heh, good one."

Don't tell me you're one of those "WWJD" people...

Here's a fun one to try out: Put your WWJD bracelet on and then ask yourself, "Would Jesus wear a WWJD bracelet?" Then, when you realize Jesus probably wouldn't wear it, take it off. :D

Josh

I wonder if Jesus ever told a fart joke? Hey, John, pull my finger. From the book of flatulence. :p

Uh oh, is that heresy? :)

M*W:

Allow me to enlighten you, Josh. The word "fuck" is not a bad word. Why it makes proper ladies blush, I don't know (God only knows I'm not one of 'em). F-U-C-K was an abbreviation that was put on the stockades of adulterers, prostitutes, and other fornicators that means For-Unlawful-Carnal-Knowledge. It is most likely an Old English term as it was prevalent in the American Colonies (i.e. like the Scarlet Letter "A").

As Josh said, this is a nice story, but there's no evidence for its truth.

From memory, the word "fuck" most likely is derived from Old French.

"the Bible clearly says using God's name in vain is wrong"
But, if you hurt yourself, saying 'God that hurts', 'jesus fucking christ' or any other such term, distracts your mind from the pain, in effect, lessening your pain.

How is using a word to lessen a persons pain, using a word in vain. it seems very useful to me, shouldnt a good god do all he can to make people feel better???

Well, one thing is sure: times change, people change -- but the biblical text stays the same (apart from the newer scientific linguistic corrections regarding translations).

I guess that the main reason cursing is not tolerated by many religions is that these religions tell their blievers to be modest, reasonable, polite, kind and such.

As it is, cursing and swearing are not traits that would testify of modesty, reasonability, politeness and kindness -- of course, always in respect to the main cultural flow in a certain society.

BTW,
I live in a strictly Catholic environment (at least by religious denomination), but I think we have some extremely juicy religious curses -- I'll try to translate (my native dialect allows to add on numerous adjectives right to the noun):

-- You goddamn devilish fucked up God!
-- You devilish Jesus!
-- Satan Jesus!
-- Goddamn fucking Virgin Mary!

I find it strange that such curses arise -- combining the most sacred with the most vile.

RosaMagika said:
-- Goddamn fucking Virgin Mary!

Wow. Quite a lot going on in that phrase.

What Catholic environment is this -- Hell? :bugeye:

Josh

^^ Purgatory.. :D

Not sure I know what WWJD people is but Jesus does whatever His Father wants Him to.

Back