Deaf from Birth

tim840

Registered Senior Member
My psychology teacher was telling us the other day that the msjority of deaf parents, if their child were born deaf, do not get cochlear implants for their infant. This is apparently because since they do without hearing, they do not consider it a deficit to be deaf; they just consider themselves different. But it is really right for them to force their child to have a harder life than everyone else when they have the choice not to? Just because they cannot hear doesn't mean they should deprive their child of hearing, in my opinion. I mean, it's their choice, and they can do what they want to their kid, but it just seems screwed up to me.

If you could do more research you'd find out that only a very few deaf parents think like that because the majority of deaf parents give birth to hearing children. The majority of deaf parents having children with a hearing problem will have the device put in to help their kids overcome the problem.:)

If you could do more research you'd find out that only a very few deaf parents think like that because the majority of deaf parents give birth to hearing children. The majority of deaf parents having children with a hearing problem will have the device put in to help their kids overcome the problem.:)

You need to watch Sound and Fury. Two brothers (one deaf, one hearing) have deaf children. One decides to get their child the implant, one chooses not to.

My Mom was livid about the selfishness of the one set of parents. Their deaf child wanted to hear so desperately.
My Mom got her implant when she was in her 50s

Most deaf people don't want the implant, so I guess they assume their deaf children would feel the same way. I took a sign language class and I learned that many CODA people often wish that they were in fact deaf. I found that hard to believe but I was looking at it from my perspective (as someone who has been able to hear since birth). So I asked my grandmother who is a CODA (child of deaf adult) as well as her younger brother, both are hearing, and they both said that they often wished that they were deaf, while their deaf siblings said they rarely wished that they could hear. Neither my grandmother or great uncle could really explain why they felt that way. So I'm guessing that perhaps, when both of your parents are deaf that's the world your raised in. Your parents probably have deaf friends who also have deaf children and even though you have no problem communicating with deaf people because the deaf world is all you know, you may still feel like an outcast. Coming from the hearing world we see it as a disadvantage and pity them, but they for the most part just see it as who they are. Just my own personal observation, most of my maternal family are congenitally deaf.

And can't these children always get a cochlear implant if they are a candidate for it later on? I mean maybe if they're going to have a microphone sticking out of their head they might want to make that judgment call.

I mean maybe if they're going to have a microphone sticking out of their head they might want to make that judgment call.

I think the ability to hear would be a far better thing to have than to worry about how something looks. This kid drew a Batman insignia on his.

lg

....I mean maybe if they're going to have a microphone sticking out of their head they might want to make that judgment call.

How does an implant look worse than a hearing aid? :bugeye: Its got to be less obtrusive than signing as well.

When I was little I wanted to be deaf as well because Mom was my hero and I wanted to be just like her. She was thrilled that all 3 of us could hear.
My daughter is going deaf in one ear. My mother feels that it is her fault. That somehow my daughter inherited it from her. In the foreseeable future my daughter will get titanium implants to replace her inner ear bones.

How does an implant look worse than a hearing aid? :bugeye: Its got to be less obtrusive than signing as well.

If your parents are deaf you'll have to sign anyway. And hearing aids go only on the ear. Cochlear implants have a piece on the ear a cord under your scalp and a microphone implanted on the back of your head. I think I would probably do it for my child, but I can see how something like that might be irritating. As someone who was forced to wear medical devices, I'm just speaking from personal experience, is all.

If your parents are deaf you'll have to sign anyway. And hearing aids go only on the ear. Cochlear implants have a piece on the ear a cord under your scalp and a microphone implanted on the back of your head. I think I would probably do it for my child, but I can see how something like that might be irritating. As someone who was forced to wear medical devices, I'm just speaking from personal experience, is all.

My Mom never learned to sign. She read lips. We kids never signed, we just learned to face her while talking.

Her implant has to get fined tuned every year. Kind of like getting your eye glass prescription upgraded.

Braces are irritating are usually just to make you have a nicer smile. The implant is life changing. It was for my Mom and us kids. I was in my 30s when I had my first phone conversation with my Mom.

My Mom never learned to sign. She read lips. We kids never signed, we just learned to face her while talking.

Her implant has to get fined tuned every year. Kind of like getting your eye glass prescription upgraded.

Braces are irritating are usually just to make you have a nicer smile. The implant is life changing. It was for my Mom and us kids. I was in my 30s when I had my first phone conversation with my Mom.

I just assumed that if both parents were deaf and their child hearing or deaf would have to sign, sorry if I was mistaken.

Back