Did Thomas Campbell disprove materialism?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Hermann, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Hermann Registered Senior Member

Please check by yourself:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I don't watch videos without good reason. You have not provided one. If you can't even be bothered to explain why this video is worth our time to watch, why should anyone make the effort?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hermann Registered Senior Member

Thomas Campbell describes with his Big TOE (Theory Of Everything) the real nature of our existence. Please spend 80 min of your time for watching this video.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

No thanks. How about a summary?

candy likes this.
  8. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Due to the OBE stuff somewhere in his background (if not more), seems to be deposited in the applicable sub-forum: Here instead of philosophy or metaphysics.

https://theuniversesolved.com/bio-thomas-campbell.htm

EXCERPTS: Thomas Campbell (9 December 1944 –) has a Master’s degree in physics from Purdue University and began his career working in the nuclear technology industry. In the early 1970s, he began researching altered states of consciousness with Bob Monroe at the Monroe Institute in Virginia using basic scientific methodologies. Campbell took what he experienced directly and learned from all of the experiments at the Institute and wrote the trilogy “My Big TOE” (TOE stands for “theory of everything”).

[...] The theory in “My Big TOE” is that “all that there is” is an unimaginably huge source of digital consciousness that Campbell calls AUM (absolute unbounded manifold of sequences, patterns, realities, dimensions, and existence. AUM is aware, active, and purposeful. Each of us conscious entities are an individuated subset of AUM, the greater consciousness. Our apparent space-time reality is virtual, a “learning lab” that AUM evolved for us to improve the quality of our consciousness. By having individuated consciousnesses evolve, AUM can itself evolve at a faster rate. He uses “love” as the word to describe how high quality low-entropy consciousnesses interact with others and defines spirituality as “consciousness quality.”

So similar to Jack Sarfatti, he's another rogue physicist from Hippie Days that the mainstream (if ever encountering him) would believe should be writing speculative fiction instead of nonfiction.

The following isn't even a critical review, yet in the course of it praising Campbell's "My Big Toe" trilogy, it perhaps still unintentionally accomplishes that, via sporting and reveling in the familiar bromides this particular genre is noted for.

My Big Theory Of Everything: Thomas Campbell (review)
    https://josephbray.wordpress.com/2012/08/26/my-big-theory-of-everything-thomas-campbell/

Like Christopher Langan's CTMU, he also has his own web forum:

My Big Toe Forum (Thomas Campbell)
    https://www.my-big-toe.com/forums/index.php?sid=c5d515768a479ab844759d6020407f97
    _

Yazata and exchemist like this.
  9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

No thanks, if I wanted to watch videos I would go to Youtube. This is a discussion forum so why don't you discuss what you learned from the video?

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You must be bloody joking. Nobody is going to devote 80 minutes of their day to watching an unknown video, just because some random bloke on the internet recommends it.

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Hmm, I get the picture. The comment about Hippie Days speaks volumes.

But be careful mentioning Langan and his CTMU: we could be at risk of Spellbound making us a return visit....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Short answer: no.

Or at least relates his own speculations.

Calling his speculations "the real nature of our existence" sounds awfully grandiose to me. It suggests that Campbell believes that he uniquely possesses and comprehends the Secret of the Universe. And that he's come down off Sinai to deliver the revelation to the rest of humanity. (Langan does it too.)

I'm too much of an agnostic to be attracted by that kind of prophetism.