Do cats pant to cool their bodies ?

Killjoy

Propelling The Farce!!
Valued Senior Member
`
Dogs keep cool by panting, right ?

Do cats do the same thing ???

I mean - I ain't never seen it, but I know cats are damn devious sons of bitches, so I wouldn't put it past the sneaky bastards to hide the fact that they got plain simple biological processes going on.

They sure do. A friend of mine's cat pants when she runs around (I guess it's a kitten).

Yeah they do but it has to extremely hot.
Cats basically love the heat and find panting a demeaning activity ( too doglike and uncool).

I confirm they do too. My fathers cat as a kitten use to come on a walk around his forest. The poor little thing would have trouble keeping up and while it attempted to keep pace it's little tongue would hang out while it panted.

It didn't of course help that it was about 85F in the shade and the kitten back then was jet black and had long hair.

They do, they do it rarely, not because they're awesome, but rather because they are faggots. They don't have it in themselves to push the limits of their body's capacity, no feline has ever pushed itself to the point of exhaustion, or anything close.
They're very much like sissies or "metrosexuals", panting is like sweating for cats and dogs, cats do it rarely because they're huge pussies and they never push themselves.

At times I catch my panting, when he chases me around the house and jumps on my legs. we have a lot of fun, people tell me my kitty has bad manors, but he's an animal he wants to play just as much as I do.

My neighbors cat just throws on a swim suit and takes a dip in their pool! :)

CatInPool.jpg

so if a cat can't pant (jeezy pete, say that 3 times fast) will it die of heat stroke? Their paws or ears don't sweat?

I have had many a cat, and they all pant in the summer, particularly if they have been playing. Go do some running with a heavy coat on in the summer, let me know if you can avoid panting. :D

9 times out of 10, they seek shade, water, and a nice nap. Cats are pretty sensible about such things.

so if a cat can't pant (jeezy pete, say that 3 times fast) will it die of heat stroke? Their paws or ears don't sweat?
All mammals except the cetaceans have sweat glands, but few are as richly endowed with them as the primates. Most other mammals rely heavily or even primarily on other ways of cooling themselves. For example, the ears of elephants have such an enormous surface area in order to dissipate waste heat (which is efficiently conducted to the skin by a dense network of capillaries) through radiation.

Sweat glands on the entire order of carnivores (canids, felids, bears, weasels, skunks, etc.) are almost vestigial; they only have them on their feet. In addition to drooling, they have fluid-secreting glands in their nostrils, so they dissipate waste heat through their breath both orally and nasally.

Back