Do not try this at home.!!!

cluelusshusbund

+ Public Dilemma +
Valued Senior Member
Hier a professional.!!!

According to the CPSC, an estimated 20,000 people are taken to U.S hospitals every year because they sustained injuries related to their garage doors.

Recently a torsion spring broke on my garage door… coudnt find a replacement for lt locally so i ordered a pair of em online… an “this” company was grate (If interested…i will give you the link in PM.!!!)

This company had a tool that determined the corect spring size after you enter a few measurments… an after i placed my order i received the springs 22 hours later.!!!

The cost for the set of springs w/cones… includin tax an shippin was $113.11.!!!

I saw a video whare a guy replaced 2 springs (thats all he did) for a lady in about an hour an charged her over $1000.00. (Average is prolly around $400.00).!!!

I read that 30 people a year die from garage door accidents an about 60 percent of those involve springs.!!!

What woud you do… fix it you’rself or pay somebody to do it.???

Last edited:
Good Lord I haven't seen post from you in six months. I thought you'd fallen off the face of the Earth.

I guess I just don't get over to the other side of SciFo much.

Yes. Springs can pack a lot of energy. Shocks in cars contain a massive amount of stored energy that, of handled improperly, can easily kill you.

I appleogize for not posting as much as I shoud... but I still have my health so I got that goin for me :)

A side note:::

The old springs I replaced was 37 years old.!!!

I did it myself 33 years ago when I hung 2 torsion spring garage doors............. maybe, I'd hire it done now and going forward.

I was an engineering rating in the USN for twenty years. That training is now ~30 years out of date. I'll hire someone who will be responsible for the results of their work.

Look up the torsion value of the springs, and the force applied to innocent bystanders if misapplied.

I don't do anything at home. I pay some guy. I do some gardening.

Just some guy, or some guy with relevant experience?

I do most everything except taking down trees taller than 30 ft and anything involving very large springs. I think I'd hire someone for this task, but there's no way I'd pay anywhere near a thousand bucks.

I was doing some research on spring reverbs a while back--which are vastly smaller, of course--and was genuinely surprised by some of values. Springs can be scary.

Last edited:
Back