Does math end in Sci-fi?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Maximum7, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Maximum7 Registered Member

I’ve always been fascinated by advanced mathematics. I was never good at math in school but as I got older and would read about physics concepts, I would see these crazy formulas that I couldn’t make heads or tails of. I was always attracted to a challenge and since advanced math seemed like something I could never do; it was alluring to me.

My great-uncle was a genius and loved math. He was teaching himself differential geometry before he died. We both agreed that math is the language of science and therefore the language of reality. He also said that science doesn’t have a limit but I disagreed with him as I feel their is only so much progress you can make. However, since numbers are infinite; I believe math is the only aspect of science that is unlimited.

I’m a huge sci fi nerd and I love Star Wars predominantly. In the Star Wars worlds, technology really doesn’t progress exponentially like in our world but that’s because they are advanced as you can get. Yes no teleporation exists but you have to assume scientists attempted to do it and failed with it being deemed as impossible.

However, mathematicians probably are still scribbling (or in Star Wars typing) away with math looking for new formulas and solutions to numerical problems.

That being said. “What math or math formulas might a mathematician in Star Wars be working on?”

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Tongue firmly in cheek

How much money can we squeeze out of this franchise?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

I was thinking in more of the lines of "How many midichlorians will fit on the head of a pin?"

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

They are advanced in some things - behind in others.

They have yet to figure out hi-def video transmissions.

Or advanced prosthetics.

And they have yet to figure out that the destructive capability of a craft is directly proportional to the power of its propulsion system.

IOW, if hyperspace engines are small enough to fit on an X-wing, you've got yourself an arsenal of StarDestroyer-busting torpedoes.

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

what do YOU think they would be working on ?
    [Ginoplasty in the 30th century] ... ?